Author Topic: Blairs Mustang  (Read 2521 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Blairs Mustang
« on: February 25, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »
Hey Blair was just wondering about your old mustang. Wanted to see or read about it. Do you still have it. Never saw any posts on it. Is this a tabo subject if so let me know.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
Re: Blairs Mustang
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 10:11:42 PM »
I still have it, but I try not to blow much about it.  Every once in a while, someone finds an old pick and posts it somewhere.  It has not run since 2007, so I reckon it is old news by now.  When I parked it, it was the quickest Super Stock CJ ever, at 9.37.  There are a few that have been quicker by now.  Mathias Farm has been fast in Sweden in SSGA with my engine stuff.  Colvert 9.12, Rich Allen 9.19(my engine stuff), and Mendes/Hewes 9.06, have all been quicker than mine was twelve years ago. We recently updated the plumbing and wiring, and touched up the paint here and there.  With current rules and technology, I believe I can get it into the 8's in legal trim.  We will find out soon I hope.  Seems like time to work on my own junk is scarce.  My current engine program is about 70 hp better than the iron heads I was running years ago.  I am interested in getting the old girl down the track, but I have been pretty deep into the High Riser Stock Eliminator stuff that we do for Nolan and Cooper (now Pond).  We started that High Riser stuff with John Calvert in 2009, and really the High Riser development took most of the time that I would have otherwise spent on my stuff. I never really planned to "quit" when I quit, LOL. Nowadays, the gains are smaller and more pin-pricked on the HRs, so I have been working on the 428 stuff a little here and there over the past couple of years.  I hope to drag mine back out and lay down some numbers.  I don't know if I will drive it anymore.  There are some good pics of it at AutoImagery.com if you put my name in the search engine.
Blair Patrick

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:39:48 AM »
Blair, I recently bought some FE stuff from a racer in W. Virginia (Jerry Dunahoo), and he said your Mustang has been a race car for a very long time. Care to share some of its history?
When I was at last years FE reunion, I spent some time talking with Rich Allen, and looking at his 68 Mustang, which is a "135" CJ car (he didn`t seem to care too much about that bit of info). He told me that he bought the car from Connie Kalittas wife, in the early 70s, she had been using it as her daily driver.
And Ritchie Pauleys Stocker 68 Mustang is also a 135 car, pretty cool to see some of these factory cars still being raced, rather than being pushed on the stage at Barrett Jackson!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 07:07:54 AM »
Pretty cool Blair. I know you get excitement from seeing the cars powered by your stuff go but you know theres nothing like having your ass in the seat. Im curious to see it.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 08:10:13 AM »
Yes Stangman, you are right about that! 

Rory, my car was first built by Jim Morgan in 1979-1980. Jim ran the car for three or four years, and then went Pro Stock racing.  He sold the car to Tommy and Marvin Dunahoo. Tommy is Jerry's dad.  They ran the car for about ten years.  They briefly sold it to a guy local to them who never ran it.  I bought the car from that guy as a roller and updated some stuff and put my engine in it.  I ran it a few years with an automatic, and planned to freshen it and put a stick in it in 1998.(I figured that would make you smile) Two weeks after I pulled it apart, I was in a car accident that broke my back.  That ended the four speed plan......not  enough hands for that! Gary Wisecarver put a state-of-the-art four link in it for me in 2000, and I hooked up with Joel Rabe about doing a C4 for it.  He has since become "the man" on the C4.  I ran it for ten seasons all together.  We set the record three times, and didn't lose a heads-up race for four years towards the end..........or maybe that wasn't the end.....just a long pause, LOL......

The six-pack Mopars, 454 and 427 Vettes, and 396 Camaros in E,F, and G  didn't want anything to do with that Cobra Jet when it all shook out.  I grew up around Stock and Super Stock, and always wanted to do it from a young boy.  It was the most fun I have ever had for that ten year stretch, and ultimately put me in the FE business.  Maybe we will get to run some more at some point.......
Blair Patrick

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Blair I’ll volunteer to drive the 68 for you
With my weight the car might be 100’s  faster
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 10:21:32 PM »
Are you making jokes about Blairs girlish figure. Like my belly (theres alot of money there).

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 01:58:27 AM »
I was just at Jerry's and picked up a super stock '28 engine for a friend, he's a really good guy. It's sitting at my shop in VA right now, Jim Morgan did the heads on it. Its fresh and has yet to be fired.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 12:05:01 PM »
Very interesting history Blair, thanks for sharing. It would be great to see your car out hurting feelings again.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
Super cool Mustang and story Blair , I hope you get it back out too !

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
Blair I’ll volunteer to drive the 68 for you
With my weight the car might be 100’s  faster

If we're competing based on weight, at 140 lbs, I think I could beat Russ :)

I also think it would be cool to see you race again, Blair. That's a neat history behind your car and it's cool that you've kept it. A lot of guys would have sold it for the quick cash.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe