Author Topic: Transmission options/opinions rebuild stock C6, go with new TCI, other?  (Read 7864 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Hi all, the stock C6 sitting behind my mild 390 is starting to go (odd vibration, front seal & perhaps stock torque converter going away)and I'm trying to plan ahead for future proofing when it comes out soon. The 390 I freshened up a few years ago is conservatively putting out 350hp and a hair over 400ftlp tq. When it comes out again I'll probably go aluminum heads and stroke it to one of the common (Survival, etc) kits to just over 400cid. Low compression so I can still run off pump gas. Car is a 67 Fairlane with 3.o gears out back. Just a fun cruiser that I enjoy rolling the throttle on occasionally... meaning when I can get away with it.  ;)

Tossing the question out there, what would you do?

1) Have the current C6 rebuilt with stouter internals?
2) Replace it with one of the off the shelf C6's like TCI?
3) Other suggestions? Race built C4?

-scott

e philpott

• View Profile
Current C-6 with Trans-Go kit is all you need

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Please don't buy a transmission from TCI.

If you are near me, bring it by, I'll rebuild it for you.  Otherwise, do it yourself.... very rewarding and even if you screw up, it'll still be better than buying one from a mass producer.

cammerfe

• View Profile
+1 for Drew.

KS

amdscooter

• View Profile
^^^ I was leaning that way to begin with, you guys just confirmed mu bias. I'd give it a go myself but am down a garage and driveway... major remodel underway at my home. I'll need to take it to a local tyranny shop to git it done. Suggestions on rebuild kits and torque converters?

Thanks!
-scott

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford-c6-/69-500-hp-rebuild-kit.html

^handy if you don't know what to get.
If you do know, it's cheaper to get the parts you need individually.

plovett

I got my C6 from Jay at Broader Performance.  I really like it.  But like has been already said, a good rebuild with a shift kit is all you really need.

JMO,

paulie

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Go with a street/strip C-4.  You won't be taxing the internals (my 700 HP 510" FE never did), and it will feel like somebody released the emergency brake when you accelerate, compared to the C-6.  C-6s take a LOT of power to run...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
If you put in needle thrust washers instead of the production pieces, and make use of the other upgrades from the E4OD, you'll get rid of a lot of the drag inherent in the C6. I believe some of these parts are available from the Ford Perf. Catalog.

KS

manofmerc

• View Profile
Broader has the different thrust bearings setup it really makes a c6 spin easily less friction than thrust washers .And like others have said a transgo 67-2 shift kit is one of the best .Drew is correct too the kit from Broader has everything along with a shift kit and some good information .If Broaders kit is to expensive A regular overhaul kit and transgo shift kit will work just fine .Don't forget a really good convertor will make a huge difference .Manofmerc

Lg57

• View Profile
I second Broader. I used his kit and converter with his instructions on my first ever auto trans rebuild. It worked the 1st time!! and continues to perform well for me.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile

cammerfe

• View Profile
The trick to getting a pump out of a C6 case is to use a long punch. After the valve body is out, you look forward. Choose a spot where you can see the back side of the pump. Reach in with your punch (it helps if the punch has a slight bend in it) and give the back side of the pump a whack, using a hammer against the punch. When I was a newly graduated kid I worked out of the warrantee crib at T&C Livonia for six months and during that time I saw it done hundreds of times.

KS

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
I prefer prying forward here:

It all falls out with ease.

amdscooter

• View Profile
^^^ Thanks for all the information guys! I'd give it a go on the self rebuild but I don't even have a driveway at the moment, garage is "apart" and my tools have been stored away for 4 months now. My home is.. "tore up". I'll either need to take the Lane somewhere to have the c6 dropped and rebuilt. -or- I'll buy a replacement from an outfit like Broader pay someone to R&R it. Frustrating as I know I'm going to pay a lot more out of pocket.. but really have no choice right now. My home remodel is not projected to end until August and I'm not missing the summer driving season... I'll need it to save my sanity.  :o

Question on the Broader C6 here: http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford-c6-/24-700-horsepower-street-strip.html. Is the tranny shown just a stock photo? The bell housing looks wildly different than the unit in my 67 Fairlane. If I'm buying an off the shelf unit I'd prefer it to be as "bolt in" as possible due to paying someone eases labor rate for the installation.

Thanks!
Scott