Author Topic: Leaf Springs and Lugnuts...  (Read 8440 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Leaf Springs and Lugnuts...
« on: July 11, 2015, 12:30:58 PM »
Ya, real thrilling topic but I figured I'd toss it out there anyway.  ;)

1) Looking to get some new leaf springs for my 67 Fairlane GTA/390 c-6. Where would you guys recommend? I'd prefer if I can get the bushings and all associated hardware kitted up at the same time, done enough piecemeal ordering lately.

2) Just scored a classic set of 14" black spoke Torq Thrust D wheels from a local Craigslist ad. Got 5 wheels for $300 from a nice fellow Ford guy and he delivered them to my home.  I'm going to clean them up to replace the original steel wheels I'm running. The wheels came bare with no center caps or hardware. I ordered some NOS center caps from Ebay and a set of lugs. The lugs arrived and fit the bore in the wheel fine and are the correct 1/2-20 pitch. The shank is only 1/2" though and the bore on the wheel is easily more than twice that depth. I've never owned a set of these wheels do I don't know, is this typical or should I reorder another set of lugs with a longer shank?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Leaf Springs and Lugnuts...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
I get my leaf spring and related parts from Eaton Spring.  No problems, good stuff!

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
if the shank goes a good 1/2" in the wheel i would think that would be fine. better that than them being a little to long and bottoming out against the hub. JMO.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »
^^^ Thanks for the replies! Quick follow up, the leaf springs (stock) from Eaton run about $250/side and you'd need the install kit for over $600 total not including tax+shipping. You can get a bolt in CalTrac Traction Bar setup for roughly 1/2 that cost. Any reason not to go with the CalTrack setup if original look is not a concern? 

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:21:41 PM »
Well.....
Caltracs are not leaf springs.  Nor are they a leaf spring install kit.  So I'm not really seeing the comparison.

I believe shipped for my car, the whole leaf spring/install kit/shipping was a lil over $700.  But for a 52 year old car that I intend to drive for another 52 years, I think it was worth it :P

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
^^^ Thanks for the replies! Quick follow up, the leaf springs (stock) from Eaton run about $250/side and you'd need the install kit for over $600 total not including tax+shipping. You can get a bolt in CalTrac Traction Bar setup for roughly 1/2 that cost. Any reason not to go with the CalTrack setup if original look is not a concern?

I can't see why not if you don't mind a non-stock appearance. The split monos do weigh less and perform well. I LOVE the split-mono/ caltrac setup on mine. I bought all my Calvert stuff through Performance Online (POL) Seems like a great place. In their new catalog, they show a complete Calvert Drag Pac(springs, caltracs, shocks) for $1085.99. Springs are $398.99 and clatracs are $339.99. I don't know about using just the springs, I have the caltracs also. I don't see a problem though. I don't know exact weights, but I'm guessing that the split-mono/ caltrac setup is about equal to just factory springs. The Calvert springs come with aluminum front bushings installed and poly for the rear at the shackle.I replaced my shackles and if memory serves me, I got them through Dearborn Classics or Auto Krafters. I checked on RockAuto and they only show a replacement from AC Delco. >:( That's taboo!
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
Drew is correct.
You can not compare original style leafs to Cal Trac stuff.
The Cal Tracs are way better.  ;)
Also if you do an org style setup with all the rubber stuff it is a nice ride but slow to react.
I have pretty much tested a full Cal Trac system in pretty much every type of driving you could
with a 67 Fairlane. Street, Highway, Strip, and even climbed a mountain. It just plain works.
I use a home made shackle that is adjustable and a really nice shock.
Even better now. ;D

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
Well.....
Caltracs are not leaf springs.  Nor are they a leaf spring install kit.  So I'm not really seeing the comparison.

I believe shipped for my car, the whole leaf spring/install kit/shipping was a lil over $700.  But for a 52 year old car that I intend to drive for another 52 years, I think it was worth it :P

I hear what you are saying & thank you for chiming in both. I like the look of the split mono leafs & Caltrack setup. As long as the performance for day to day driving was not impeded, I'm thinking why not just get the Caltrack setup for just a few bucks more and have the added suspension stability to boot? Seems to be a decent upgrade to stock leaf springs for just a few bucks more. Unless someone can point to a downside I'm seriously leaning that way. 

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 06:06:30 PM »
Drew is correct.
You can not compare original style leafs to Cal Trac stuff.
The Cal Tracs are way better.  ;)
Also if you do an org style setup with all the rubber stuff it is a nice ride but slow to react.
I have pretty much tested a full Cal Trac system in pretty much every type of driving you could
with a 67 Fairlane. Street, Highway, Strip, and even climbed a mountain. It just plain works.
I use a home made shackle that is adjustable and a really nice shock.
Even better now. ;D

^^ That's where I'm at. Stock performance for $700 or much better even if not necessary on a street car for $750. Seems to sell itself...  ;D

**EDIT**

A quick side question for Caltrack owners, are there any clearance issues that need to be taken into consideration? I just installed a set of 14" Torq Thrust this weekend and was thinking offsets and such. These are standard fare wheels with a set of BFG 215/70R 14's installed.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:29:42 PM by amdscooter »

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 06:47:09 PM »
I use two different wheels and tires on mine.
Both wheels are 8X15 and 4 1/2" BS and the tires are BFG 255's and 9X28 Slicks.
Stock width axle housing, but aftermarket with big bearing axles.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 06:51:49 PM »
No clearance problems that I could find. I have 15×7 Torq Thrust D's w/ 3 3/4" backspace and P255 ET Street Radials. Tons of room to spare. Another guy I know with a 66 has 15×8 w/ 4 3/4" backspace and P275 ET Street Radials, still room to spare. :)

Here are a couple of shots of mine.
I should get a clearer shot from the rear to show clearance better but there is plenty. ;)

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
I hear what you are saying & thank you for chiming in both. I like the look of the split mono leafs & Caltrack setup. As long as the performance for day to day driving was not impeded, I'm thinking why not just get the Caltrack setup for just a few bucks more and have the added suspension stability to boot? Seems to be a decent upgrade to stock leaf springs for just a few bucks more. Unless someone can point to a downside I'm seriously leaning that way.

Your comparison has changed.  Initially you were comparing *just* caltrac bars to high quality replacement leaf springs and all the associated rubber, stating that the Caltrac system was half the price.

My thoughts were simple from the start.  Do I want a vehicle to street drive longterm or a vehicle to race?
If I wanted a vehicle to race, I'd have built a four link, and had the option for larger tires.  If I wanted a rear suspension to last for dang near ever on the street, I would go stock style (so I did).
I suppose if you want the hybrid street/strip thing, Caltrac system is probably the best for that.  Personally I would not ever feel comfortable driving 40,000 miles with mono leaf springs.  When I was considering rear end build options, I'm almost certain the manufacturer said to change out the leaf springs regularly and they were not designed for street driving.  To me that made this a dead deal as I do not consider leaf springs to be a common wear item. 

On another note, if you are really running BFG 215/70/14 tires, you more than likely will not hook up to anything, anywhere with any engine over 150hp.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 10:13:39 PM »
Clearance won't be any more or less than stock, with the Cal Trac set-up, even if you use their springs. I have 15"x8" rims with 4" backspacing using 275-65/15 MT ET Streets on a 2" narrowed rear (1" each side). I can get my thumb between the tire and springs, so they're safe.

There are lots of cars with lots of street miles on them, using Cal Trac springs, and I've never personally heard of a failure. I really like mine, but admit I don't take 1000 mile trips in my car. Jay has plenty of Drag Week miles on his rides and hasn't had an issue. Either way you go, using just the bars, or the bars and springs, I don't think you can go wrong. But I will say that if you want a soft factory ride, you may want to stick with the factory type springs and just use the bars. The Cal Tracs do ride a bit stiffer, but they're certainly not overly harsh. My old springs, with an extra leaf added, rode much harsher than my split mono-leafs.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 10:27:03 PM »
^^ Thanks for the photos guys. From what I can see I do not think there would be any interference issues either.

Drew, I did word my initial inquiry on the Caltrack setup poorly. I was looking at the split leaf with traction bar setup photos online, saw one thing in the typed another. The heat and humidity here are making me about as sharp as a box of hammers this weekend.

I'd say my setup is conservatively putting about 300hp and 400tq to the rear wheel (open diff 3.0 gear/factry stall) through the C6. I can roll on the throttle and get moving pretty good w/o breaking traction. I'm not drag racing and I only drive a the car a few hundred miles a month. If the Caltrack setup can add stability for just a bit more $$ than the stock leafs with no other downside, but only last 20 years instead of 40.. I can live with that. One of my sons who inherits the car can do the next swap out.  ;)

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Best
Scott 

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 07:16:02 AM »
Yeah, rereading my post it sounds kinda snarky (wasn't the intention).  The south Ga sun was cooking my head too, I volunteered to help a friend take down two large metal buildings and rebuild them in a different location (did it on saturday and sunday).

I think your thoughts of 20 years might be a little ambitious tho, you might want to call Calvert, they know their products engineering limitations better than anyone here.

Although you seem to have your mind made up, I'll pass this link on to you anyway in case you decide to go another direction:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/makin-progress/553305-2013-progress-my-63-5-galaxie.html

Good luck!