Author Topic: Water Pump Drip Blues  (Read 5103 times)

mlcraven

• View Profile
Water Pump Drip Blues
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:54:43 PM »
In anticipation of firing the Cyclone up in a couple of weeks today I filled the cooling system.  This thing has been dry since I got it back from rebuild more than a year ago.  I re-used the water pump that came with it when I bought the car, I believe it to be the original 1967 pump based on the embossed Ford part number, original fasteners, etc.  Probably not the wisest thing to do, re-using a 46 year old water pump, but what the heck, I reasoned that they're not difficult to replace and if it does go, I can upgrade to an aluminum one.  If it continues to function, well, I've saved some cash.

Anyway, filled the sytem up with a 50/50 mix of Peak anti-freeze and water and didn't notice any leaks.  Went away to do something else and returned , you guessed it, to find a puddle under the car and a steady green coolant drip off the harmonic balancer onto the sway bar and thence onto the garage floor -- nothing huge or leak-like but a drip about every 3-4 seconds.

I threw a plastic pan under it and then a mental light bulb came on.  Loosened off the belt and vigorously spun the pump over by hand for about two mins.  Drip immediately reduces to about once every ten seconds.  Waited 5 mins and did the same thing, drip reduces to once every 30 secs.  Repeated 5 mins later, drip goes to about once a minute.  That was about 30 mins ago; I just checked again and NO drip.

Seems the god of hot-rodding may finally be tired of having his sport with me.

So the question is: is it possible the leak was a result of the pump bearing/seal drying out over the last two years and now it's cured itself?  Or am I kidding myself...should a smart guy spring for a new pump and get busy installing it?   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:19:59 PM by mlcraven »
Michael

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Water Pump Drip Blues
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »
At this time there is no pressure in the cooling system.  As soon as it is pressurized it will be much more likely to leak.  I'd get a new one if I were you...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »
Depends on your plans!
I bet youre right, you cured it. I bet it will even hold pressure and run - for a while.
I would say though, I just did a waterpump shootout with 3 ancient "off the shelf" mystery pumps. None of them dripped, even at first. So it says to me your seal is getting tired. :(

As long as the bearing is tight and you carry extra water it would probably get you home, loose bearings is when they go out in a hurry. :o

IF you go into it can you check - is the impeller stamped or cast? Easy to tell if you pull the back cover but actually you can look thru the heater hose outlet hole and tell if you look carefully.

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:22:39 PM »
At this time there is no pressure in the cooling system.  As soon as it is pressurized it will be much more likely to leak.  I'd get a new one if I were you...

Thanks for the good advice Jay...I had completely missed that obvious likelihood.  What's the preferred brand for a street-duty aluminum pump these days?
Michael

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »
Depends on your plans!
I bet youre right, you cured it. I bet it will even hold pressure and run - for a while.
I would say though, I just did a waterpump shootout with 3 ancient "off the shelf" mystery pumps. None of them dripped, even at first. So it says to me your seal is getting tired. :(

As long as the bearing is tight and you carry extra water it would probably get you home, loose bearings is when they go out in a hurry. :o

IF you go into it can you check - is the impeller stamped or cast? Easy to tell if you pull the back cover but actually you can look thru the heater hose outlet hole and tell if you look carefully.

I convinced myself the bearing was good before re-installing the pump; hence the drip was a double-bummer.
Michael

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:49:23 PM »
It's back, about once every 45 secs.  Taking the pump off in the morning -- before church activity.
Michael

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »
I've always had good luck with the Edelbrock pumps; I'd go that route.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

chris401

Water Pump Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »
I rebuilt mine with success using kits from http://www.deadnutson.com/page/page/2965331.htm

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »
I got an NOS in the box Ford WP (part no. starts with C4) with my Galaxie purchase. Should I try to use it?  I guess the answer is "try it"!  I've had good luck with NOS PS hoses that were old but never used... +1 with Jay on Edelbrock WPs btw.

Bruce

66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
Unless they've changed, Ebrock pumps use a stamped impeller. The stamped impeller is much less effective than a properly-designed cast one.

My Dove pump has a cast impeller whose design comes from the engineering that went into the race pump for the Boss 302. It's been in use for more than 20 years and still works just fine!

KS