Author Topic: Clutch Fork  (Read 6769 times)

dmazz

Clutch Fork
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
I'm planning on replacing the 1 1/16th inch input shaft toploader in my 66 Fairlane 427 with the 1 3/8th inch trans. Will I need to get a different fork? If so what is the part #7515-? and does anyone out there have one for sale? Thanks, Denis

Jim-W

• View Profile
Re: Clutch Fork
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »
Denis, I am putting a big input trans in my ’63 Galaxie and have researched this a bit. In my case, there is no correct fork for the application. The ’66 and latter large input originals seem to command several hundred dollars. I’m going to have to cut and section two forks to end up with what I’ll need to clear factory long cast iron headers and look somewhat stock.  Jegs / Summit both sell a very reasonable fork, it’s $59 bucks free shipping from Jegs. Part# 555-601151

My guess is it’s not going to be a perfect match, but might be close enough, that it’d work for you.

Jim

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:48:43 AM »
It depends on how your bellhousing is set up.  If it uses the wire clip, then you may have to resort to a factory fork.  If you can use the steel tab in the pivot, then McLeod and some others offer new clutch forks that will work just fine.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Jim-W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Something to keep in mind is both style fork pivots are available and can be changed. I have the spring wire style and will change to the flat spring clip type retainer. Another thought with the wire type is the fork may be able to be drilled for the spring clip and the flat spring removed. I suppose you could go the other way also if needed. In any case, lots of modification if the proper one isn’t sourced.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
About a zillion years ago, when I took delivery on my new '64 427 Custom, I quickly discovered that it came equipped with a B-W T-10. And a couple of months later, when I twisted off the output shaft during a granny-shift to second in the middle of the night and had to hitch-hike home, I knew I had to make a change. The big I&O top-loader was not available from a dealer but since I worked at T&C Livonia I talked to Bruno Z., the Executive Engineer, and soon one was delivered to Bill Brown for installation. I had to scrounge for a new clutch disk, TOB, and fork and yoke but all were available from another dealer (don't remember the name and it's not there anymore) who specialized in trucks.

If you have trouble finding a suitable fork, you might try looking at truck parts!

KS

Jim-W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »
I share your pain of T-10 behind FE woes. My story was in a 63 Galaxie convert with a 390. Made a granny 1-2 shift and shucked a tooth. That’s only after suffering with the typical ridding out of second gear on deceleration. I’m really happy my ’64 is a late car equipped with a top loader. Love them!

Just got my Jegs fork today, suspect it’s a McLeod part. Very nice piece! It’s probable (if one could be found) a big truck fork could work also.

I’ll be interested to see how this works out for Denis, as I’m in the same boat on tranny swap.

dmazz

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:05:31 AM »
Thanks for the help. I did convert the small spline fork from a spring wire to flat clip. I will check with Jegs I had no idea the forks were reproduced. Still learning something everyday. I'm waiting to get my fresh build 427 on the dyno for break in and I'm trying to get all the parts I need to make the swap. Which clutch kit do you recommend for mainly street use.   

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »
Back in the day, I was always partial to Schiefer. I think the brand is a personal preference as long as you use a Long-design set-up.

KS

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
One hint learned from experience is not to buy a fork thinking that you are going to drill it.  I don't know what they are made of or what they are heat treated too but they are extremely tough.  I killed a cobalt bit on mine then took it to my machine shop where the machinist killed his bit as well.  He charged me for the bit and was amazed at how tough they are as well.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
Just  blow a hole with a plasma cutter!

KS

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
Or use a proper tool.
A carbide centre drill should have no problem.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 07:38:45 PM »
Try a clutch fork for a 68-70 mustang with a 428 , it would be correct the bigger shaft and then maybe you just have make an adjusting rod . I have one im not using ? , and probably never will ..
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
I'm planning on replacing the 1 1/16th inch input shaft toploader in my 66 Fairlane 427 with the 1 3/8th inch trans. Will I need to get a different fork? If so what is the part #7515-? and does anyone out there have one for sale? Thanks, Denis

IIRC, my 1 3/8" fork in my 63 LWG (same one from my first 63 427) is from the 65-66 Galaxie?. It has the 'pocket' where the clutch rod sits (not a hole), hell, it may be from a truck, lol, Rod.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
FEIW, mine, too, had a pocket. Beware losing the little coil spring that provides tension to keep the rod in the pocket. Mine broke while I was on a date---with white pants---and I had to crawl under the car to find out what happened and then walk a couple blocks each way to and from a parts store where I bought a generic spring to hold things together. Dusty pants from the gravel and grease from the pocket in the fork on my hands!

KS