Author Topic: Any FE friendly machine shops in Northern Illinois?  (Read 1135 times)

Gaugster

• View Profile
Any FE friendly machine shops in Northern Illinois?
« on: April 01, 2021, 09:34:15 AM »
Looking to have my D3TE MCC cleaned up, checked out, sonic tested etc... I live near Elgin, IL about 50 miles Northwest of Chicago. Survival Motorsports is 320 miles away and Lykins Motorsports about 360 miles. I love a good pilgrimage to the FE homelands but like to support local business too. Any recommendations for a good shop near to me would be appreciated. TIA
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Re: Any FE friendly machine shops in Northern Illinois?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 08:42:28 PM »
We have been taking our stuff to a couple shops in the next town over from us for many years. We are good friends with both places. Both shops are in Freeport, IL.

Pfeiffer's Engine Specialties, INC. & Dyno Service
1798 Smokey Hollow Road
Freeport, IL 61032
815-233-2267

LaShelle Engine Restoration
1802 Crossroads Lane
Freeport, IL 61032
815-821-3546

I have been pleased with the machine work from both shops. I try to give business to both when I can. I try to do as much work myself on my projects, but without the heavy machines, I just take my things to them when necessary. Mr. Jim Lashelle has been around Ford's for a while and still works on quite a few vintage 4 cylinders and flatheads. He still hand pours babbitt bearings. Jim is the only one around who has a line boring tool. Steve Pfeiffer does not have one. When I did my D4 block, I had Steve do most of all the machine work on the block after I had the custom main caps done. I had Jim do the line boring and took it back over to Steve to finish hone it and do the rest of the machining. Pfeiffer has a nice balancer setup, but Mr. LaShelle does not have one. Both are very competent shops with the machinery they have. I trust both places. Neither are FE specific, but have had a few through their doors. Hope this helps.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 10:28:20 PM »
Thank you Jared. Less that 100 miles from me so good to know. I will check them out!

FordEver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 08:04:26 AM »
http://opelengineering.com/
Western Chicago burbs, did all machine work on my FE, good people, tell Ted Bob Mosher referred you.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »
http://opelengineering.com/
Western Chicago burbs, did all machine work on my FE, good people, tell Ted Bob Mosher referred you.
I was actually checking this shop out last night. They are real close to where I grew up. Capabilities look impressive!