Author Topic: FE bellhousing  (Read 2575 times)

Kimmo

• View Profile
FE bellhousing
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »
Just crossed by C5AA-6394-A bellhousing. The interesting part was that it is made of aluminium. Are these alu bellhousings common parts? I have never seen this kind of alu part. I bought it because of the material dispate the repair weldings. Those seems to be guite well done, so it seems to be useable part.

The date code is very visible and it is 4L10
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:03:26 PM by Kimmo »

TomP

• View Profile
Re: FE bellhousing
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »
Never heard of one, always iron from my experience, can you post a picture?

Someone on here posted an aluminum one several years ago that I think was a C3 number and wasn't an aftermarket RC scattershield type.

chris401

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 03:21:37 AM »
Just crossed by C5AA-6394-A bellhousing. The interesting part was that it is made of aluminium. Are these alu bellhousings common parts? I have never seen this kind of alu part. I bought it because of the material dispate the repair weldings. Those seems to be guite well done, so it seems to be useable part.

The date code is very visible and it is 4L10
Does the bell have 5 bolts where the transmission mates to it? It was posted here a while back about the Lincoln Twin Range transmission being in the Thunderbolt. That may be the C3 cast Tom saw. I wonder if the C5 was an FE option with the MX if you did not want a Cruse-O-Matic in 65?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fairlane_Thunderbolt

Kimmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:45:17 AM »

Tom. I sent you an email conserning the pictures :-)

Never heard of one, always iron from my experience, can you post a picture?

Someone on here posted an aluminum one several years ago that I think was a C3 number and wasn't an aftermarket RC scattershield type.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:07:12 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Kimmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 01:06:22 PM »
Finally figured out how to add pics into thread. Check out the first posting. It is just like the iron ones. This particular bell takes only 11" clutch in due to lack of the hump. I will clean it and remove the worn paint from it. The threats are beaten up, but that is not a problem. I think timesert´s will be the way to go.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:11:58 PM by Kimmo »

chris401

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »
I see

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »
Where did you find that.
Not from a local scrap yard.
Mikko

Kimmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 02:13:56 PM »

Hi Mikko

Nope. I consulted a friend of mine conserning the bellhousings. He found 3 bells here in Finland. He kept the iron one and Lakewood version. I bought this aluminium version just because it was rarely seen anywhere.

Where did you find that.
Not from a local scrap yard.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »
It is a mystery, it looks just like an iron bellhousing and has "J489721" scribed in two places. That isn't an SK or XE number and I don't think those parts would have kept the C5AA-A number on them either. Looks like the 65-up stick transmission pattern.

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 07:09:18 PM »
...and has "J489721" scribed in two places. ....

Is that a tiny “ny” in front of one of the J numbers? Could it be a partial VIN?
Robert

9310alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »
Seen one years ago......NASCAR & USAC  Stock Car racing trick factory piece & looked exactly like the iron bell.

hotrodford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »
I have one of those, have had it 40 years. It was with a 427TP motor that a local fella was selling, along with other stuff, when the short track closed.  He got all of his stuff from HM.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 09:53:18 PM »
You'll want to remember that there was an aluminum foundry for 'experimental' parts quite close to Gate 4 at The Rouge.  When the CJ Mustangs first were released in '68, I was involved for a while with one of the Super 'E' Automatic cars. A couple of the guys who were involved with the Ford drag operation dropped off a Sidewinder intake to us one evening. There were no markings on it except the firing order on a runner at the front. It was somewhat simpler in design than other, later ones I saw. The manifold sat on the shelf at Corban for a year or so, and I finally used it in the build of the 427 I put in my '67 XR7GT Cougar.

KS