Author Topic: Scott Drake "Powered by Ford" chrome valve covers  (Read 3204 times)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Scott Drake "Powered by Ford" chrome valve covers
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:30:13 PM »
Has anyone else bought a set?
I got mine in the mail the other day and wonder about the chroming. The areas around the bolts and the bend where it turns up from the gasket area looks like paint splatter, or it wasn't buffed out right. Is this how other sets look or just the set I got??  Figured I would ask before sending them back.

image by JOHN DIXON, on Flickr

John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: Scott Drake "Powered by Ford" chrome valve covers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »
Yes, got a set of chrome pentroofs that were the same way. Wasn't real pleased.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
Chrome on the aftermarket stuff is really hit or miss. I've had to return several things because of crappy chrome, like bumpers and shock tower braces. Most of the Scott Drake stuff that I've seen is made overseas, so it's not a huge shock. Return them until you get a pair that is good. Unfortunately, the EPA has all but killed the chroming business here in the U.S.. That's why the spray chrome is catching on. I have a buddy that is doing it professionally, and it doesn't turn out too bad. Not the same as chrome, but probably the next best alternative. How long the stuff holds up though, remains to be seen.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:14:59 AM »
Thanks guys, I will give them a call on Friday to get the return process started. Hopefully, I can get them to inspect the next set before coming to me. At least they still show to have some in stock.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »
John, I went the route of buying a used set of those covers off of eBay locally (they came off a '71 pickup 390) and having them chromed, also locally.  It was $$$, but very pleased.  Btw, the chromer told me most of his business now comes from outside TX.  He said he could close his doors to walk-ins and just accept work from out of state and still do very well.  Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »
Great plating results require solid prep work (obviously missing in the photos where polishing is more difficult).  Once the metal is ready, the copper and nickel are applied and the nickel often gets a final polish to clear any blemishes and to set up the chrome coat.  I have no doubts about the quality of work that can be achieved as was the case for Bruce.  Buying such quality off the shelf is a rare thing now in my view and if you do find it it'll cost.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
Made in China part with chromed in China chrome. ::)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »
Thought about doing that too Bruce. Figured this was cheaper after paying to have my door handles rechromed.

In the end, you get what you pay for!!

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:40:18 AM »
I honestly don't believe you will get a pair of valve covers any better than those. They are what they are. You want better,  you are going to have to find a good plating shop. The finish is 80 percent in the polishing as already stated.  Those covers just don't get polished around the bolt holes. Must be only a big wheel is used.
IMO

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
   I've not bought the valvecovers but I have had several bumpers and misc. chrome parts. Most of the time I send them to have the chrome stripped first before modifying them but a few times I've just cut them up as is for mockup. In those cases I have found oil under the chrome and the rougher areas to be slag from using poor quality steel that is formed without being pickled first. Good quality steel stampings are smooth enough to chrome as delivered, it is repairs and stripped parts for rechroming that need to be buffed. Rechromed parts are buffed because the stripping process eats the surface of the steel in removing the chrome. Any remaining flaws can be taken out by building up copper and dressing it just like pitted potmetal. Generally though only in the case of a rough plate or the best of the best parts are they buffed at each step. Our friends in the far east are basically knocking off what slag they can and tossing parts in the tanks.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
Factory covers in that area around the bolts are  not much better .

TomP

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 06:55:58 PM »
The factory covers are not as good, they have a cheap industrial chrome job .
Those might be too nice to be concours correct.