Author Topic: What's the value of a 1969 Torino Cobra?  (Read 24004 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: What's the value of a 1969 Torino Cobra?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
So I bought the car today  :D  Its an interesting story.  Please feel free to let me know if you think I did good on this one, or if I got screwed  ;D

Five or six years ago I was in the local Sears, buying a new battery for my 69 Galaxie.  The guy behind the counter asked what car the battery was for, and when I told him, he said, "Oh, I've got a 69 Torino Cobra!"  I vaguely remember this, and also remember spending some time talking to him about the car.  Apparently I gave him my number and told him to call me if he ever decided to sell it.

Thursday night, out of the clear blue sky, he calls me, introduces himself, and says he thinks its about time he sells his car, and would I still be interested in it.  Taken totally by surprise, I asked him some questions about the car.  His computer was broken, so he couldn't send me any pictures.  He also couldn't text me any because he didn't know how to do that with his phone  ::)  He said he wanted $6K for the car, which sounded fairly reasonable to me.  I forgot to ask if it was a fastback (sportsroof) or formal roof, but I made an appointment with him for Saturday morning to look at the car.  Then, last night I called him back because I really wanted a fastback, and he said that's what it was.  I had decided I was going to bail if it was a formal roof car, because that's not really what I wanted.

Anyway, so I get out there this morning, and this car looks like it has been in a time capsule since the 1970s.  The owner said he'd purchased the car in 1975; he'd had it for 40 years!  It looked like he did a bunch of work on the car when he was a kid (he said he was 58 now), and  then didn't really do much to it after that.  It has all the 1970s cues:  air shocks, Keystone Klassic wheels, shag carpeting on the rear deck, multi-color blue and white carpeting in the interior, slapper bars, Hooker headers, Holley 780 vacuum secondary carb, an add on rear spoiler that looks like its a reproduction for a 69-70 Mustang, the list goes on and on.  The license plate registration tabs said 1994 was the last time the car was registered!  It looked like he put a battery and cables in it recently just to get it running so he could sell it. 

I checked the VIN number on the dash and the door tag, and they matched the Marti report that he had for the car.  As mentioned in my original post the owner said it was originally a 428SCJ car, and although the shaker hood scoop and oil cooler were gone, the hole in the hood and the scoop on the hood looked correct, and the brackets to hold the oil cooler in place in front of the radiator were still there.  So I think the owner was probably correct that it was an original SCJ car; the Marti report also says it had the Drag Pack option.  I crawled under the car and there was the N-case and Daytona pinion support, plus the staggered rear shocks, and the from what I could see the transmission looked correct also.  The owner said he'd replaced the clutch in the past, and it used the 11-1/2" clutch disc, which also gives me some confidence that the transmission is the original big-in big-out trans.

The bodywork on the car also looks just like it came out of the 1970s.  The rust holes have been patched with bondo, and a marginal paint job was applied, which of course is now completely faded.  The owner said he'd been unhappy with the paint job at first, and had made the painter redo it, but it really just wasn't a very good job.  Both front fenders, both doors, and both quarters had rust holes in them, evidenced by the bubbling bondo and a few places where the holes showed through.  But a close inspection of the exterior showed that the panels weren't entirely rotted away, and that with the patch panels available out there they were definitely fixable.  Inside the trunk it actually looked really good; the drop downs are intact, no holes around the gas tank, and the holes in the quarters are relatively small, at least compared to some I've seen.  Not too bad, really, for a Minnesota car.  Underneath, again surprisingly, the floor pans looked pretty good.  The driver's side torque box has got some holes in it, but I wasn't able to find any in the passenger side torque box.  Both front fenders are also a little tweaked, and should probably be replaced.  But in any case, the car needs a complete restoration on the body.

One thing that was promising was the trim on the car.  There were very few spots where the trim was dinged; in most cases it looked really good.  He didn't have the wheelwell trim for the rear wheelswells, unfortunately, but all the other trim, and both bumpers, looked pretty nice.

I offered him $4K, then $4500, because the body work would be so time consuming and expensive, but eventually I gave in and we settled on $5000.  What do you guys think, did I do OK?  Pictures below, starting with the Marti report and the build sheet (with the consecutive serial number blacked out).  Note that the build sheet says "SUPER COBRA" down at the bottom:

Here's the engine compartment, showing the hole for the ram air in the hood, and the 390 that resides in the car now:

Here's a shot of the oil cooler brackets, still installed:

Here's a look under the rear of the car, showing the staggered rear shocks:

An interior shot, showing that psychedelic carpeting ;D

And the rear deck, showing the awful troll-hair shag carpeting:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:17:48 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

kwood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »
I have done a lot worse! From the pictures you have a lot to work with, now you just need to find someone with a cool FE to drop in it  8)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 10:56:28 PM »
That is the kind of car to make a restomod race car out of and be authentic as an R code car.  Not a bad price from the looks and the trans/rear/staggered shocks, etc.  Would be a very cool race car with  a matching paint job for one of your other cars.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 11:16:59 PM »
Cool story to go with a car that doesn't look that bad from the pictures. What's the game plan for the new toy?

Are you shooting for a different muscle car to drive for each day of the week?  ;)
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 12:11:04 AM »
So nice to know you're not the only one with the "new project" affliction.
Great car Jay.
Congratulations.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 12:23:14 AM »
Cool story to go with a car that doesn't look that bad from the pictures. What's the game plan for the new toy?

Are you shooting for a different muscle car to drive for each day of the week?  ;)

It would be fun to drive a different car every day, but the insurance would kill me  ::)  I've never had an accident, and I don't often get tickets, so paying all that insurance just seems like a tax to me.  As a result I usually end up insuring only two or three cars every summer, and letting the others sit. 

For this one I think I will be collecting parts for at least a year or two, because I have two other project cars to finish before I start this one.  But I have a nice 650 HP 427 stroker sitting on a stand in my garage, that would probably be right at home in this car. I think I'd like to make the car look mostly stock, with the exception of wheels and tires maybe, and then just put a real strong street/strip FE in it. So, as long as this is the classifieds, here's the list of parts I need, at this point anyway, for the car:

- Both front fenders, no bends or twists, and no rust holes; surface rust, minor dings and bondo OK
- Rear wheelwell trim, both sides, excellent used or new
- Ram air setup in usable or restorable condition
- Factory oil cooler setup, including cooler, lines, and adapter to go on the engine
- Factory gauge cluster with the factory tachometer, or the factory tach separate

If it comes down to it I'll get one of those fiberglass reproduction ram air setups, and just put an aftermarket oil cooler setup on the car, but if I can find factory pieces that don't cost a fortune I'd be interested in those.  If anybody out there has any of this stuff, please contact me.  Thanks, Jay
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:17:17 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 12:32:20 AM »
So nice to know you're not the only one with the "new project" affliction.
Great car Jay.
Congratulations.

Thanks Mark.  New car affliction is an understatement.  I really need a Cobra replica.  And a 66 F-250 4X4.  And a 66 427 Fairlane.  And a 63 T-bird Sport Roadster.  And a 68 GTE Cougar.  And... :-\
Jay Brown

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 01:29:57 AM »
What, no fuzzy dice? ??? What a deal breaker! Should've settled on $4500 because of that. ::) Anyway, nice find Jay, love the fastbacks!
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 09:04:05 AM »
Jay, I think you did just fine, with a Marti report too!  The bodywork will be the biggest unknown but don't you have a paint booth and a good buddy who's a bodyman?  Since you're going to be collecting parts for awhile IMO get started on the body first, that way you may uncover some things that don't show right now. 

For the wheel well moldings, I think those are available new from one of the sources I mentioned earlier.  Now to find a replacement shag rear deck cover :D   Front suspension, steering parts, interior trim, etc. are all available and reasonable.  If it were my car I'd repaint it the original candy apple red...

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »
No snake/cobra emblems?; no console?  original wheels? what shape is the steering wheel under the wrap?  No passenger side rearview mirror?  can't quite tell, but the tach looks to be from 68 (black background instead of silver like the rest of the gauges, or is it a clock and not a tach?).  No seatbelts, lap or shoulder?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:23:12 PM by Dumpling »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 02:12:56 PM »
No cobra emblems, no console (would a bucket seat car automatically have come with one? The build sheet doesn't have that box filled in...), original wheels are long gone, and I haven't looked at the steering wheel under the wrap, but I can just about imagine what it looks like  :o  There is no factory tach, there is an alternator and oil pressure warning light in the tach spot.  That reminds me, I need to add a gauge cluster with a factory tach to my wanted list.  The seat belts and shoulder harnesses are there, you just can't see them in the photos.

Also per your earlier question, based on the Marti report it is clear that 69 Torino Cobras were available in the sportsroof body style, and I would assume they got the Cobra badges on the fenders and taillight panel.  This car probably lost those when it was repainted, or they were pried off by a thief back in the day.  In fact that's how I lost the original Cobra fender emblems on my 68 Shelby; I was parked in a restaurant parking lot in about 1986, and when I came out after dinner the emblems were gone, and I had a few new scratches in the paint of my front fenders  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:15:55 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

Dumpling

• View Profile

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 03:15:44 PM »
Jay: I'd say you did very well...those were fine looking cars when they came out and almost 50 years later the sleek lines have lost none of their panache whatsoever (excepting that ridiculous add-on spoiler, which IMHO only ever looks right on a 69-70 Mustang Mach 1 or 70-71 Cyclone Spoiler).

There are likely to be a few unwelcome surprises in the metalwork department (there generally always are) but nothing that can't be put right with cash and sweat equity. Fortunately, there are a number of suppliers today who cater to the basic sheet metal needs of these cars -- most of the good ones have been listed in previous posts and the internet is a huge help (it's particularly good news that it comes with the majority of the trim in good order).

Always heart-warming to see abused FOMOCO iron go to a caring stable for rehab.  Have fun with it!     
Michael

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »
Yes, buckets seats came without a console in some cars.  Also, some of the cars had crome Cobra emblems on the rear fenders, and some had decals.  Really some unusual combinations were seen from the dealerships.  On my Shelby, someone popped the Cobras off the roof while I was at church the first time I drove it there.  Luckily, they were readily available back in the day.  Some of these restoration pieces are getting pricey if you decide to go that route.  Some emblems say Cobra, and some emblems are snakes.  It all comes down to what you expect the car to represent, be, or put back original looking.  Hope to see if finished someday.  Joe-JDC.
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
Very Kool!
Only you can understand what it's worth to you.
To me, if and more if and bigger this and bigger that and of course some of this
and the list goes no.
Have fun Jay, you only get one kick at it, enjoy. ;)