Author Topic: Lykins Motorsports 434ci Clevor, 777 hp/630 tq  (Read 1888 times)

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: Lykins Motorsports 434ci Clevor, 777 hp/630 tq
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2024, 12:50:53 PM »
My take, though no one will care.

We are not here for magic, we are here for info.

If you not going to fill out the dyno form, as accurately as possible, then Jay should get rid of it and let everyone post what ever info they want.

I had thought the the forum was to help everyone build these unique engines and don't believe in holding back anything.

I've never like the GM copied Clevelands so, I'm prejudice on that issue.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 02:03:47 AM by frnkeore »
Frank

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2024, 03:08:49 PM »
you're right, I don't care. Knowledge has value that someone paid for one way or the other to learn it, why give it away is all I'm saying.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 07:36:09 PM »
If Brent were posting for free advertisement, who is it hurting?  Knowledge and experience do have value, yet Brent openly shares here on a daily basis for free.  In return, maybe he picks up a customer, maybe he gives someone the confidence to do a job themselves.  Who really cares?? 

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2024, 12:55:20 AM »
knowledge that is not shared is eventually lost knowledge.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

badcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2024, 10:13:40 AM »
That statement is a fact.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 02:37:56 PM by badcatt »

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2024, 12:27:08 PM »

I greatly appreciate the advice from all the folks who offer it up here.  I surely hope the few Statler and Waldorf types don’t spoil that.

As for sharing of information, I’m pretty sure none of the builders here are patenting their engines.  All you have to do to gain your knowledge is buy an engine, or engine component configured to your needs/wants and copy it. 

Coca Cola is not patented either.  It’s a trade secret.  So buy a can and copy it.  It’s that easy. 

Hopefully this will help discourage the wet blanket treatment so we can keep on enjoying all the useful info we’ve been giving and getting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 01:40:44 PM by TJ »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2024, 01:02:33 PM »
I find it really troubling that some guys think that they are entitled to the intellectual property of others. 

Person 1:  "I've been at the dyno all day long.  I've spent $1000 on cams and spent an 8 hour day there swapping cams out." 

Person 2:  "Give me your information or I'll throw a tantrum and threaten to leave the forum."
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2024, 01:32:28 PM »
I am on Brent's side here, we all share a lot of information, and by sheer volume of builds he shares more. However, a chef doesn't readily give his recipe, but people still love to eat out. 

We all have some secrets that keep our builds slightly unique, we also benefit from some of the best customers in the world through these forums. So yes, it is a balance.  However, the guys attacking don't seem to be customers or even friendly to him, and not recent behavior either, the names come up again and again.  It seems to be a witch hunt...in fact the issue wasn't what cam was in the engine, it was a non-FE build being hung, which I did too a week ago or so, but shifted as it always seems to for Brent

I can only speak for what I see and if someone comes up with an issue, guys like Brent, and I like to think me, run to the sound of the guns to help. Failure to give exact cam choice in an otherwise incredibly detailed built sheet posted in the dyno session is odd. 

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 01:34:29 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2024, 03:27:20 PM »
I agree also that there are "proprietary" components/ideas to an engine build.
Brent certainly has his ideas and others do as well - That is what makes this hobby (or profession) fun.

Is this forum used by individuals to advertise their private business? Of course.
Same happens on Yellow Bullet, Speed talk and every other forum.
It is a quick and cheap way to advertise -

I do think non-FE builds, dyno tests, information etc.. should be posted on the NON-FE discussion sub- forum.
Calling out members of the forum as trolls for suggesting this is crazy@!

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2024, 04:51:29 PM »
I do think non-FE builds, dyno tests, information etc.. should be posted on the NON-FE discussion sub- forum.
Calling out members of the forum as trolls for suggesting this is crazy@!

I didn't even think of that when I asked Jay if I could hang my Cleveland results, sort of an obvious and fair option.  My email to him was actually, "where did the non-FE dyno page go? " But it never existed.  Not sure why I thought it did

We've had MELs and Y-blocks, seems like the complaint is about Brent not the Cleveland dyno.  Can't help with that, but I have seen behind the curtain with him many times and he bends over backwards to help people.  I am not an internet friend, basing my opinion on posts, I have pulled wrenches along side him and consider a trip to KY to be a highlight when I can make it.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 05:13:05 PM by My427stang »
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2024, 05:33:57 PM »
I didn't even think of that when I asked Jay if I could hang my Cleveland results, sort of an obvious and fair option.  My email to him was actually, "where did the non-FE dyno page go? " But it never existed.  Not sure why I thought it did

It does exist:
FE Power Forums »FE Power Forums »Non-FE Discussion Forum
https://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=3.0

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2024, 06:05:27 PM »

It does exist:

There is no dyno section there, period, and I contacted the forum owner directly before I posted.  If he would have said put it there, I would have put it there.  As much as I would like to push back, you get a little credit, that is a good idea.

Nobody is fighting you here, you seem to think that Jay saying it's OK beforehand wasn't enough, and you keep changing what you are upset about... I have no beef with any of this, but you can't argue what the forum owner says, it isn't my forum and it isn't yours....just let it go.

BTW - On edit - Go look at the forum you are trying to keep pure...3 Y-blocks, 1 Boss, and 3 MELs before our Clevelands showed up.  This isn't new
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 06:10:43 PM by My427stang »
Ross

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2024, 03:43:28 AM »

It does exist:

There is no dyno section there, period, and I contacted the forum owner directly before I posted.  If he would have said put it there, I would have put it there.  As much as I would like to push back, you get a little credit, that is a good idea.

Nobody is fighting you here, you seem to think that Jay saying it's OK beforehand wasn't enough, and you keep changing what you are upset about... I have no beef with any of this, but you can't argue what the forum owner says, it isn't my forum and it isn't yours....just let it go.

BTW - On edit - Go look at the forum you are trying to keep pure...3 Y-blocks, 1 Boss, and 3 MELs before our Clevelands showed up.  This isn't new
   What he said,,,, stop throwing sand at each other, if Jay okayed it then its okay nobody is forced to read it
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 03:46:03 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2024, 08:05:13 AM »
Ah! Just think how much better it would be if a few left for Yellow Bullet's forum.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 08:31:07 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2024, 06:44:38 AM »
I suppose I could add a couple thought to this.

I don't think I have ever posted dyno information on this part of the site.  A few customers have added data with my builds or parts I supplied.  I had other venues for dyno builds at the time, did not think it was appropriate.  Since most of the other venues either no longer exist, are essentially inactive, or have devolved into something of limited or no value - I should probably put some stuff out here. 

I view any information provided here as a "gift" - knowledge and hard earned experience shared for free.  Questions, suggestions, and clarifications are always OK, but openly aggresive criticism of the builder, parts and application seem very inappropriate considering the casual reader has nothing invested in the effort.  In this case Lykins gave you a free hamburger, fries, and a Coke - and a couple guys are bitching that they did not get free ice cream too.

I like seeing a few non-FE examples from time to time.  They provide some comparative context, and help with goal setting.  The Cleveland architecture was the unquestionable high water point in vintage engine cylinder head development for Ford, and were arguably better than many of the subsequent efforts.  To add some FE flavor to this, I had a 433 inch EMC effort that reached 710+ HP (on pump fuel) at 7500 RPM.  It was a dramatically high effort and cost package.  The fact that this Cleveland derivative made so much power at a far lower cost and effort level speaks volumes about the combination.  At 1.45 TQ/cube the "C" headed deal is a genuine bad ass.  Goal setting...