Author Topic: RC Bellhousing Project for Thunderbolts & Galaxie Lightweights  (Read 4727 times)

babybolt

• View Profile
RC Bellhousing Project for Thunderbolts & Galaxie Lightweights
« on: November 19, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »
These are the aluminum RC scattershields for the 427 Thunderbolts & Lightweights

The project consists of:

Casting pattern for the bellhousing
Casting pattern for the bottom cover
Original bellhousing & bottom cover
Blueprints for bellhousing
Machining/checking fixture for bellhousing
Sample junk bellhousing
Two undrilled plain bottom covers

$3600

I will post more about these RC bellhousings soon.

babybolt

• View Profile
Re: RC Bellhousing Project for Thunderbolts & Galaxie Lightweights
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
Just some notes about the bottom cover.

As near as I can tell these have been reproduced previously, probably three times not including myself or the original manufacturer, RC.

If you have bottom cover and it doesn't seem to fit well around the perimeter of the bellhousing, well - that's the way they were.  My speculation is that RC re-used a bottom cover from another engine application or they ground off some sections for header clearance.  The important part is that the groove for block shield matches up with the bellhousing.  The steel production block shield is the one to use, but the bottom needs trimmed to fit the RC cover.  If you have installed the bellhousing with the untrimmed block shield and want to use the RC cover, unfortunately you will have to remove the assembly and trim the shield.  The shield is required to index the starter.

When I make the bottom covers, the foundry does not heat treat them.  It's already difficult enough to get the foundry to even make the covers right in less than two months.  Over time the aluminum naturally hardens.   

There is a an odd center bolt hole situation on the bottom covers.  When the bolt is tightened and seated, it gouges into the radius of the cover.  Again, that's the way the originals were.  I tried once to fly cut a cover for a good seating surface, but it just did not look correct.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 08:50:46 AM »
Where is there more info on these bell housings, Picts, ect.. I missed out on something. Just curious.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:38:28 AM »

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
Soooo.........are you going to have finished production bell housings for sale?  Or are you bailing out of the project?

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:21:58 PM »
I'd would rather sell these casting patterns and parts for the following reasons:

Have been to two foundries and not gotten castings to my expectations

Too many other projects

Getting out of FE engines due to a very bad experience with Bill Coon

May be willing to partially trade for certain parts

I did make five bellhousings.  Scrapped one.  One is a bad casting, though usable.  Traded two to a guy who is supposed to be using them for his own cars.    Keeping one for myself.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
This RC bellhousing project is still for sale.

Just a few more notes about the castings and originality.

The original bottom covers did not have a small water drain hole.  This hole was drilled on some of the first covers I made.  I have seen quite a few covers with this hole drilled so it must have been a common modification.

There seems to be two different bellhousing castings.  There are some small differences around the bolt holes. 

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »
I'm selling one of the prototype bellhousings.  It is a blem.  There is some porosity at one of the upper boltholes.  I took it to a welder and he couldn't weld it due to sand in the aluminum.  He said to grind it out, epoxy the hole, paint it, and use it.  This one is machined for the larger front bearing retainer used in mid 65 and up.  The retainer bearing hole is on the tight side.  Comes with a bottom cover with no lettering.  $400 plus shipping.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:16:21 PM by babybolt »