Author Topic: Disc brake question  (Read 2098 times)

olman

• View Profile
Disc brake question
« on: December 24, 2019, 01:09:43 AM »
    Does anyone offer disc brakes that fit on the stock 63 Galaxie spindle? Thinking of 4 wheel discs. I'm running 15" Cragar SS wheels.
1963 1/2 Galaxie 500Xl 428 4 speed

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: Disc brake question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:54:35 AM »
Remember, RPM is your friend

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 07:58:09 AM »
Ditto, just put that on the wagon last winter.  I ran 77 T bird for decades but got this kit cheap on the Summit return table.  I put the Tbird stuff on my 2 dr.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 08:01:09 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
What diameter master cylinder are you guys running with this kit?  Power assist or manual?

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »
Those rotors look small what size are they?
 On my Ranchero (not Galaxie spindles though) I am using a 15x5" TorqThrust and have 12" discs in them. I used early 90's Toyota Supra rotors and machined the stock drum brake hubs down to fit the rotors, only mods on the rotors is drilling the wheel stud holes to 1/2". I made 1/4" steel plate brackets to hold some early 90's Jap car calipers (I guess I should find out what they are!) and they clear the rim with 1/2" to spare. I suspect I could get a 13" rotor in there too.

But not all 15" rims are alike for that, most newer wheels have lots of brake clearance.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 11:15:01 AM »
Dan,  I run manual master cylinder.  I'd have to try to research what I bought?   It is one of those big alum chevy looking master cylinders.  7/8"? 1"?  It works well.

Tom, they aren't "Big" by any means.  Likely the same size rotor as the Tbird had.  Just a better caliper(4 piston) and pads.  This is the "Street" kit, not the full blown race version with alum hat/rotor. I got the kit cheap enough to upgrade the wagon AND put the TBird stuff on the 2 dr.  Win/win.
Larry

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »
I'm probably late to the party on this, but I also installed Wilwoods on the front of my '64. Back when I started researching the project, Wilwood seemed the way to go, for me. Nowadays there are many kits out there, even ones that some 3-5 yrs ago were had problems -but I think since then, have been remedied and/or improved. Also, Leed has a good kit out, from what I've read.

I'm very content with how they perform, and just as importantly, how I in turn feel when wifey and I are out cruising all the busy thoroughfares we have here.   ::)

I believe the rotors are 11.25", the manual m/c I chose is 7/8" bore (1966-77 Bronco), plus I converted the hydraulic brake switch to electric. Adjustable Wilwood prop valve tucked in under m/c.

Norm

WP_20170604_22_00_18_Pro by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

After a few years on the road:

WP_20180829_09_25_27_Pro by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

1964 Galaxie 500  aka 'the blue goose'

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 07:39:03 PM »
Maybe it wasn't available at the time but Wilwood has a very cool adjustable prop valve that incorporates the hydraulic light switch and inverted flare outlets, it also acts as a splitter for the two front brake lines. No need for any adapter fittings. #260-11179

I have used several, latest one is on a guys 65 Mustang with the Mustang Steve power brake conversion. This left no room for the original switch on the pedal.

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »
That nice Wilwood piece was available when I was spec'ing parts for mine, but there wasn't a handy place to install a valve like that (or really any factory type valve), hence why I went with tucking an adj type under the m/c as I did. (clutch linkage adjustment 'area' needed to remain accessible). Plus, I was intent on eliminating that pesky hyd switch set up, lol. I had the room and the pieces to put it on the pedal.  Just a personal choice mind you, and I'm sure on your applications it is/was really thee way to go !  :)

Norm

<<Maybe it wasn't available at the time but Wilwood has a very cool adjustable prop valve that incorporates the hydraulic light switch and inverted flare outlets, it also acts as a splitter for the two front brake lines. No need for any adapter fittings. #260-11179

I have used several, latest one is on a guys 65 Mustang with the Mustang Steve power brake conversion. This left no room for the original switch on the pedal.>>
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

1964 Galaxie 500  aka 'the blue goose'