Author Topic: All things FE Headers.  (Read 27563 times)

TomP

• View Profile
Re: All things FE Headers.
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2021, 12:25:39 PM »
I sold these years ago and recently got them back just a little worse for wear. 620L and 620R stamped on them, no idea the original application but can say with authority they didn't fit a Fairlane. 2" primary, 3 1/2" collector, no removable tubes.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »
Save those Coronas ;D
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »
That is hilarious Tom, I just made a post on the old forum earlier about an identical set, trying to figure out what they are (link below). I would've posted here but much easier to post pictures over there.

Same set, so hopefully someone knows the application? They almost worked on a manual 64 Galaxie, so may be for an automatic Galaxie.
https://www.fordfe.com/fe-headers-t165395.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:00:53 PM by Gregwill16 »

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2021, 04:47:59 AM »
Just a PSA, if you ever go to install REF headers with individual primaries on a '69 Mustang, do them in this order:  3214 / 7658

Cylinders 3, 5, and 7 need to have the upper header bolts pre-threaded or they may strike against the shock towers depending on the exact position of the block.  Many swears were sworn this past weekend, and we had to remove 1-4 to reinstall because one bolt was making contact with the shock tower.  I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving the shock towers in place as it's an original-body 428 car, but I'm regretting not tearing those shock towers out for a coilover kit and throwing the shock towers in the garbage where they belong, maybe after punching some 30-cal holes through them first. 

bill_396

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2021, 12:49:52 PM »
Every time the engine comes out of my 68 Mustang with tower braces and REFs more access holes go in the shock towers. I have BT heads making it even worse. Some places have 6pt bolts, some 12pt.. Getting to be pretty good with a crow's foot on a universal wrapped in electrical tape. Also have an assortment of cut and welded 7/16" wrenches now. Excellent reason to have another beer.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2021, 01:15:35 PM »
Next time you go to install headers in a FE shock tower car, put a jack under the big round bar that goes between the frame rails and lift the front end up entirely by the bar.  Surprising how much more room you will have for those header bolts.  Ask me how I know?  Even cars with low mileage had the problem of body flexing inward enough to contact the header bolts without the aftermarket shock tower brace.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2021, 07:37:22 PM »
Many years ago I went to the FPA shop when it was over in Puyallup and talked to the guy who was named Stan maybe it was coincidence that they're both named Stan.This was back when they were just starting to sell headers their number of applications was still pretty limited mostly to truck and mustang as was most of the other stuff they had there then.I think it was like the early to mid 90's.

Ah, that makes sense. Those are different Stan's! Stan Fuller is the header guy. Not sure he's even involved in the company anymore, I think he started the company at 62, at any rate I haven't seen him around the place for a few years.
Sorry such a late response, but yes, there are (were?) 2 different Stans involved with the headers sold by FPA. Stan Johnson is the owner of FPA, and the actual headers he sells thru FPA were made at Stans Headers, owned by the "other" Stan. Although Stans Headers was a long time custom header builder in the Seattle area, I am pretty sure the headers that they built for FPA are make exclusively for Stan Johnson, to sell thru FPA, and the jigs for making the headers are the property of Mr. Johnson. I first met Stan Johnson at the drags at Bremerton Washington, where he was racing his 70 Boss 302 Mustang, and his Pantera, back in the early 80s, before FPA was started. Stan does sell other Ford parts, and engines, but I think that headers are a big portion of FPA`s business. I have nothing but praise for the FPA headers on 428 CJ in my 59 2 door sedan. They fit very nicely, in a pretty tight chassis, are of very nice quality, with thick flanges, and they do not leak. Unlike the big name headers, the FPA FE headers are available with the correct flange configuration, to fit each version properly, with no need for slotted bolt holes.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2021, 09:43:02 PM »
I ran across the picture of these on Facebook recently, just thought I’d add them here for posterity. Something you don’t see everyday, guy was thinking of buying them. Hopefully this doesn’t take the post sideways.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2021, 02:00:33 PM »
Next time you go to install headers in a FE shock tower car, put a jack under the big round bar that goes between the frame rails and lift the front end up entirely by the bar.  Surprising how much more room you will have for those header bolts.  Ask me how I know?  Even cars with low mileage had the problem of body flexing inward enough to contact the header bolts without the aftermarket shock tower brace.  Joe-JDC

We have ours on a mid-rise lift, but I did find it odd how easy the REFs were to take out before the car was on the lift...  That's a lot of body flex!!

We have TFS heads now, and the exhaust ports don't line up perfectly with the shock tower notches, so there is contact in two areas.  I had to machine down one bolt and put a step in the header flange for the top bolt on Cyl 3.  Cyl 3 and 5 required lifting the engine up 1/2" to start the bolt.  I then slotted the flanges. 

3 weekends now... 

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2021, 07:19:40 PM »
Whoa Kevin, someone horrified those manifolds with those ugly cutouts! What would ever cause someone to do that rather than simply make the first few inches of pipe have the cutouts? I guess they can be cut off and the holes patched. Hope you got them cheap.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2021, 08:53:16 PM »
Back in '64, I put 'dumps' on my '64 Custom by using 15 inches of 3 inch pipe on each side with a 3-bolt flange on the back end. Used a 'U' bend cut in half to hook each side back to the H pipe. I, too, cringed to see the waterpipe openings. :o

KS

yellercat

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2021, 09:01:33 AM »
Circling back to my Reply #73 on the truck headers with resolution of fitment. Put the jegs' headers aside and got a pair of Hookers with the 2 1/2 inch collector. No more automatic trans linkage interference and its a slide on transition instead of the three bolt flange fittings, so saves that room also. Lucked out eye guess. Also using a 10" flex type coupling that ties nicely into the flowmaster exhaust system designed for these trucks; which avoids interference with the auxillary fuel tanks. All FWIW to anyone looking for those old F-100 exhaust 'solutions'.
Brad
52' F-1
69' Camper Special
70' F-100
88' F-150