Author Topic: Ranchero Auto to Manual Conversion and More  (Read 1190 times)

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Ranchero Auto to Manual Conversion and More
« on: April 02, 2023, 08:26:09 AM »
A couple very general questions here.

1.  Just how involved would it be to convert a 67 Ranchero 289 automatic car to manual?
Frame work? Tunnel? Can I buy all the parts new and bolt on more or less?

2.  What kind of horsepower could I expect from a well built EFI version of the 289?
Stroking and everything else is on the table but I say EFI as I know that means one can not get too crazy with cam, etc. and taht is the type of build I would consider for this.

Thanks.

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Ranchero Auto to Manual Conversion and More
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 12:31:36 PM »
Factory stock manual? You swap out the pedals, thats the only thing needed
exept for adding the clutch mecanism.  The treaded hole in the frame for the
clutch crossbar is there  , no tunnel mods if it had florshifted auto, rather ugly
cut hole in the floor looks like something bubba did with a torch
dont know if the cut is there on a stering shaft shifted car but probably.
. C4 to small toploader is same driveshaft
and yoke

Should ad,  atleast on a 66 never swaped on  a 67 but asume they are the same
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 12:34:37 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 12:38:45 PM »
The horsepower expectations are directly related to the thickness of your wallet.  I.E.  How fast do you want to spend???

EFI doesn't produce any extra horsepower, it is just a more efficient and arguably more precise and tunable way to introduce fuel to an engine.  Horsepower is directly determined by how much oxygen you can shove into an engine, and therefore how much fuel you can efficiently burn.  Tell us about the combination.  Compression ratio, induction (NA vs. Forced), cam profile, head flow, RPM range, etc.  Then we could offer up some expected performance numbers more precise than somewhere between 200 and 600.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:40:46 PM by FrozenMerc »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 09:20:17 AM »
" EFI as I know that means one can not get too crazy with cam,"

There are plenty of cars running big cams/motors/methanol on EFI.  Holley Terminator system for one. 

To the original question - same, put in a manual pedal+brake assembly and set up the rest of the linkage. My Falcon was a 3 speed 289.  The manual came out and the C4 went in, the clutch pedal is still in the car under the carpet LOL. Still has the same drive shaft, no changes from a 289, 302 351C + C4. 

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 12:10:34 PM »
Thanks everyone, sounds like the swap is easy, as for the 289 build, I am sure there are plenty of those documented out there I can emulate to get what I want.
The EFI piece was just to build something that style, still be somewhat aggressive but totally streetable, finding that compromise if you will and yeah without breaking the bank.

Dubs1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 01:09:40 PM »
I have the complete brake and clutch assembly along with housing that supports  the pedals.  SEnd meyour email and I will send you the pictures of the  assembly.  Asking $100  plus the ride from  Denver.  These came off of a 73 Ranchero.

Larry sends   720 8393477   or ltduba@hotmail.com

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 03:17:39 PM »
Thanks Dubs1 but the car I was looking at turned out to be aftermarket air, passing on it as I do not want to get into a factory AC install and I do not like aftermarket ac units hanging down, etc..