Author Topic: New engine for my 69 Mustang  (Read 6168 times)

Monzy

• View Profile
New engine for my 69 Mustang
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:06:50 AM »
Well I'm on here reading everyones builds and I think I got the itch to buy someything I really shouldn't have but I think I got a pretty good deal even if shipping takes the clothes off my back.   What should a build like this make hp/torque wise?  Would this be considered a good street/strip build?   Sounds pretty built to me but after reading about Jay's 526ci build I want one of those, But..  I sure as heck don't have that cash to throw on an engine.  Someday I hope.

The owner says it wasn't blueprinted but says its been balanced and normal machining procedures done from a reputable machine shop in his area.   Should I have any worry about this build? 

Ultimate goal is 500+hp/tq and wouldn't mind if the tires were off the ground on take off!  Not sure if this can make that happen though.   I do have that 100 shot I still haven't used on my stock 428 with unknown performance cam.  My current 428fe just doesn't have enough power so I bought a whole new engine! LOL...   Well the way I saw it was I could barely get the parts and machine work done in Canada for this price so now I have an extra engine if I kill the new one in the "very distant future" I hope.   Or I could sell it and get some cash back that I shouldn't have spent!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160812193671?item=160812193671&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:13:07 AM by Monzy »

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: New engine for my 69 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »
Sounds and looks like a solid build.
500 hp will take some heavy breathing.
Blue printing is just making sure you are machined to spec. It's a pretty loose term. All pun intended. ::)
It should not be that bad shipping to you. I have had some pretty big boxes of junk shipped to me in Nova Scotia and I live
pretty far out. lol
To lift the wheels it takes suspension and tires.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:53:22 AM »
If the engine is what the seller says it is, should be about a 425-475 HP motor depending on the cam you put in there.  There is some incorrect info in the ad regarding the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; it is not a copy of the PI intake, and the Edelbrock intake is definitely better than the PI.  But the PI is a good intake too, and won't hold you back too much.  It just makes me nervous to see incorrect information in the ad; it means the seller is making stuff up as he goes along.

If it were me I'd at least pull the heads and oil pan after you got the engine and try to figure out exactly what you've got.  If it looks good I'd stab a 294S Comp solid cam in there and take it to the dyno; should make around 450 HP like that.  A roller cam would get you more power, if you want to spend more money; the one he specs in the ad wouldn't be a bad choice for a Mustang, provided it was a four speed car or you have a 3000+ stall converter.

Good luck with the engine - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

afret

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
Pulling the heads is a great idea.  If you want 500 HP, you might consider getting the heads ported and also check the volume of the combustion chambers.   You might need to get the heads milled to get to a decent compression ratio.

Monzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »
This would be going up on my 4spd toploader that I rebuilt in the winter.   I really want that 500+ number and doubt I can leave the heads alone.  I will look at porting them and doing what I can at home.  I have no experience other then reading Jay's book and the internet about porting heads but I'm a do it yourself and gain knowledge person.  I've never rebuild a 9" rear untill 2yrs ago and its still running great, never rebuild a trans but the toploader is great other then I should have replaced the one syncro slider as it pops out of 3rd under deceleration. DOH!   not a big deal as my hand is always on it in 3rd getting ready to shift to 4th or 2nd and under load it stays in.  Wierd thing is it didn't pop out of any gears untill I put a new 2nd and 3rd gear in.

As for milling the heads I could look into that but don't want problems running 91octane gas as thats all there is around here.  He spec'd 10.3-1 compression but there is static and dynamic which I'm still kind of learning and not sure where the 10.3 is coming from.   Not sure what compression ratio to stop at for 91 octane either.   More compression makes a nice sound out those dumped 3" flowmasters though :)

As for shipping I've got 1 quote from Spring Creek and they want $850 dock to dock and thats without brokage which would put me around $1200-$1300 shipped taxes brokage ect...  HOLY CRAP!  Was not expecting that one when I put a blind bid on this engine.  Should have done some homework but at the same time I figured I would be outbid days ago but nobody bid!  Woops, guess I played around to much and now its mine!

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »
Shipping, that seems high.
I`d look at few more company's. YRC I`ve had good luck with them.
As for brokers, all they do is pay the tax for you and you can do that yourself.
Just go to CBSA and pay by cash  or plastic. I`ve done it lots of times. You go to the Dock and get the paper work and off to the CBSA and then
back to the dock and load her up.
There is always a small fee at the loading dock, like 50 bucks.

The best plan after you get the new engine sorted is Caltracs and sticky`s.
I ran my 428 at close to 11 to 1 on 91 for a long time. And I never babied it.
My 390 is close to that also I think it meassured at 10.8 to 1 or so.
This is with iron heads, your new alum`s will run even better.
The 4 sp helps a lot in keeping them in a sweet spot and not lugging it down.
Timing is your friend there and keep it a little fat.

mike7570

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »
I shipped a complete engine from California to Florida for about $500 including insurance. I would recommend you have the seller build a wood box over the pallet rather than just shrink wrap it. (protect it while in transit)
I used Forward Air and have used them for a number of shipments, never had a problem.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:08:40 PM by mike7570 »

Monzy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:30:37 AM »
Caltracks and stickies was what I had planned on doing this year and trying the 100shot of nitrous in my current unbuilt for racing 428.   Now i'm going to replace the whole motor, where the heck did that come into the equation.   I'm excited like a little kid. 

I have someone extremely interested in my AE2 toploader in trade for his TKO 600.   I really want that OD but love the toploader too.  With the new motor i'm sure its going to wanna breath so not sure how often I would use the OD now.

What would you guys bring this motor to while drag racing?

Monzy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »
Well, just wanted to update everyone on this build,  just to blow some steam and make people aware of deals.   Got the motor, freighted on a pallet real nice and sturdy.  Ripped the plastic off with the freight guy still pulling the pump truck out of the pallet and we both admired this nice engine that would be replacing my more mild 428.

Ok little things started to spark me a like the missing waterpump gasket,  the intake with a crack in the bottom should be ok because water isn't going threw it but still wasn't disclosed.  The heads that were port matched still full of aluminum dust that wasn't cleaned out before torquing them down!  The missing shims on one set of rocker arms that were suppose to be a bolt on.  I see a difference in blue color on a couple rockers and realize a couple had been replaced, OK.    So I'm setting them up FINALLY after sourcing some shims out which I couldn't find any where around here until now and realize that 2 of the rockers have cracks in them at the tips near the roller!   

Well, now the cars off the road even longer!   Wonder if there are any problems in the bottem end!  If I had cash I'd be like oh well upgrade to the T&D street set but I don't just like a lot of us in the hobby!   

If any Canadians want to know what something like this could cost total to your house, it was $5624 !!!   That right there was a big enough surprise!

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »
Monzy, a couple of things.  The thing was shipped with no water pump or cam right?  Then why would there be a WP gasket?

Another is this statement by the seller:
"Ford aluminum P.I. intake (it's the one Edelbrock copied for their Performer RPM manifold)"  ???

Anytime I see a statement like that it sets off my BS-O-Meter. :D

Last thing; you're saying that it cost almost $2K just in shipping?  Was it delivered by nekkid wimmins? ;)

Monzy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »
Oh I got 2 of the 3 water pump gaskets just missing one of the block gaskets.  Really not a big deal but its still an extra $30 here and there for these small pieces. 

Yea, as soon as Jay mentioned that about the intake I was worried.

As for the expense...  Well by the time I paid taxes, brokage, freight, currency exchange rate.  Hiring an actual broker for the paper work.   Thats what it comes out to.

LOL no freakin nekkid wimmins, another disapointment.  And they aint sittin in the passenger seat with no engine in the car because I started pulling mine as soon as this one arrived as I needed a couple parts off it!