Author Topic: O/T rant its cold and we can't race.  (Read 10380 times)

57yblock

• View Profile
O/T rant its cold and we can't race.
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
Fox body and other Fords with GM junk in them
I am ranting today as it is real cold and I just ain't going out other than to get my mail and paper. And you guys tell me the reason all these and I will be nice and say "people" are putting the brand X engines in the fox body. As for the BBF is it price or availability or what? I have here right in front of me a recent add in national dragster by Shafiroff racing engines advertising their 632 sportsman engine for 16,250.00 . They are claiming 1030hp on that one. Their pro series are advertised at 24,750.00 and claiming 1225 hp. They all have aftermarket heads and blocks and cranks and everything else. Whats the reason I am looking for some honest shit. The SBF seems to be pretty darn competitive when some person will build it the same way they build the brand X small puke stuff. As I have yet to see an SBC that makes decent power using a 2 bolt 283 thing out of the 60's but I have seen these idiots build up a SBF ford using as factory 302 which we know is no stronger than an early 289 and then break it and then some builder says to them you have to put a sbc puke motor in it to go fast and stay together. Then he will build them a Dart block brodix headed thing and of course it will be faster last longer to be expected. Its my opinion and I think most might agree that a BBF junk yard block that can be purchased for usually 100.00 or so complete will withstand 700 plus and an early one which has been converted to 4 bolt mains should be good for at least 850 hp. We won't go into the ls stuff but we do know that the block is good for quite a lot of hp but it should be as it is a reasonably new design. Just like the Ford modular 3 valve and 4 valve can be put together and make good hp. How about some of you engine builders chime in here. Just for the record I bought parts from a lot of the vendors on this site and my pump gas 545 made 702 hp and has been dam reliable only problem has been losing a roller lifter and I blame that on some VERY VERY slow driving at the "Back to the Fifties" car show in St Paul over a couple of days. I can't even recognize some of the engines I see like the I think it is called a "481X" I asked a guy what it was and he said a ford/chev/dodge as they used the best features all the brands and built it from scratch. I watch the show "Street Outlaws" and I know it is mostly TV but enjoy watching it anyway. Now I see the one guy that runs a Dodge has a BBC in it so I won't pull for him anymore in fact I hope he loses his ranking. So I am suppose to believe that nobody can build a hemi or even a big wedge than can compete as they all use nitrous. As you can see I am RANTING today to keep from being pissed off about this below zero crap we are putting up with. Hey I am 74 years old and have good blood pressure and want to keep it that way LOL. Lets hear some reasons and my 63 Fairlane has went 10.20 at 133 and I still drive it and it is street legal with 92 octane. I posted this today on a different BBF forum that's why there are no mentions of FE fords but I have had a couple of them too. I know there was one in a Fox at Brainerd last summer but I only seen it there once. Hey we can't race for quite a while at least us northern guys so lets at least do some bashing and bench racing. >:(

RJP

• View Profile
Re: O/T rant its cold and we can't race.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »
I let my subscriptions to HRM and CC go because they are so biased towards Chevy and Mopar. Fords are ignored unless they have a Chevy LS, SBC, BBC or a Mopar engine in it. I guess if you want to have your Ford in HRM/CC it has to be Chevy powered. I'd bet money those a**holes would have a coronary if they saw a Chevy with a Ford in it and if they recovered and got released from the ICU they wouldn't have the balls to publish the pictures  Fu*k 'em and the wagon they rode in on.

cjetmech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »
I actually saw a 2000ish GTO online that a guy was putting a 351W into. I didn't like it at all, but talk about going against the grain. Jeez. Everyone of those swaps seems like a frankenstein motorsports job to me no matter how good the work. 
67 Fairlane GT 428
93 Mustang Coupe 331

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 10:12:18 AM »
LOL Phil!  Cold weather turning you a little bitter?  I'm with you though, I sure would like to be able to stand outside for more than 30 seconds without freezing to death...

Personally, I'd feel worse about the non-Ford engine swaps into Fox body Mustangs if I liked the Fox body Mustangs.  But I personally find the Fox body Mustangs kind of bland, from a styling perspective.  I don't think that they ever made one that I liked, so I really don't much care what people do to them.  I get much more offended by a small block Chevrolet in a 32 Ford or other cool old Ford street rod; I hate to see that.  And it seems like that's all there is out there in the street rod world. 

From Drag Week I know a few guys who have swapped Chevrolet engines into the Fox body cars, and maybe its heresy, but I like most of those guys.  Then I think of what I would do if I ever got my hands on a 63-67 Corvette coupe; I'd pull out that orange lump and swap in an FE and a toploader!  Somebody in the Chevrolet camp would be cursing me for sure LOL!

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »
RJP, tell us how you really feel.  Holding back like that could lead to stress.................   ;)  ;D

BTW, being a Boss302 guy as well, I've always harbored the inner desire to transplant a Boss engine into a vintage 68/69 Z/28.   ;D He he he!  Can you hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth over that one?  It'd be biblical for those little twatmonkeys!  Which of course is why I would do it. 8)

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 11:43:21 AM »
Seen this on enemy book today. ;D
Snow plow is working great best winter ever!!!!

Frank Wurtz's Fordette

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »
Nice!  ;D ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

64gal500

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
I hear ya Jay! Imagine walking up to a good looking 64 Galaxie only to find a small block Chevrolet 350....  of all things....sitting under the hood!

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 03:55:26 PM »
RJP, tell us how you really feel.  Holding back like that could lead to stress.................   ;)  ;D

BTW, being a Boss302 guy as well, I've always harbored the inner desire to transplant a Boss engine into a vintage 68/69 Z/28.   ;D He he he!  Can you hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth over that one?  It'd be biblical for those little twatmonkeys!  Which of course is why I would do it. 8)
If I did that I'd be banned from this site for life. >:( I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would use an inferior engine in a Ford when they could have a better engineered product than those orange lumps of sh*t. The only reason I've ever heard is "They are cheaper to build" If yer looking for "cheap" build a VW Bug or a Trabant....that's more their speed.

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 06:08:23 PM »
Ya know Jay I know you don't care for the fox body but we have to remember that that chassi saved Ford drag racing in my opinion. A mutual friend of ours was lamenting one day about all the fox chassis mustangs that he was seeing the rare times he went to the drag strip. I tried to straighten him out telling him that the times I went to the strip if it wasn't for the fox mustang at the races you could count on one hand the number of Fords that were there. We all know the (shock tower) dilemma that all the ford guys had to put up with. I used to see Fords out there without headers and I would ask them "where are your headers". All I could ever get was lots of excuses mainly that they either didn't fit or too hard to install. Of course that kept them in the 14 to 15 second category. Getting their butts stomped and sometimes really hammered because they were so stinking slow.
  How many guys from years back can you remember that wouldn't put in a 351 in place of a 289 because of the header issue. As a while back there was none available. I'm talking quite a few years by the way. So guess what 350's with more torque would come out of the hole faster than a 289. I used to watch it happen as some 289's were fairly fast. Displacement makes torque you know that probably more than anyone else.
  Oh by the way I have good friends that drive brand X cars. These guys on "drag week" have you ever asked them why they
put the damn things in their Fox or sn95 or even newer chassi and get any kind of a intelligent answer?

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »
Any Ford product at the strip, car show, cruise nite, coffee & cars or just cruisin' on the street, Fox body or otherwise is better than no Ford products.

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 07:28:33 PM »
There is a certain very beautiful 67 fastback mustang in our twin cities area that looks like it might be powerful. It has what appears to be a well warmed over FE in it. Well guess what? It has those freaking flat manifolds on it. Next year if I see the darn thing I am going to say something to the extent that it spoils the whole car for me.  >:(

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 10:32:32 PM »
I've built Y-blocks, FEs, just about every possible combination of sbf both W and C, and I have raced a Fairlane Cobra, '69Mach I/302W/428CJ/452MR/351W, '66 2+2/351W, 66Fairlane/351W, and several Fox body mustangs '86GT/302/358W/383W, 88GT/376W-14psi, 89LX 302/8psi/ and lots of street types that were very fast.  By far the easiest to work on were the Fox bodied mustangs, of which I still own 2, and they respond much better to simple modifications, the weight is decent, and parts are available for anything you desire to do to one.  My only problem with Fox mustangs has been the 28 spline axles, and weak brakes on the early models.  They will stop the car, but you have to be alert if you are used to power 4 wheel disc brake cars.  Not the best looking mustangs, but the easiest, cheapest, and quickest with the money spent.  JMO, but if you are wanting to go quick in a Ford, they get the job done when applying a little Hot Rod ingenuity.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 11:58:53 PM »
Its hard to disagree about going fast in a Fox car.  They make great race cars; the engine compartments are huge, they are cheap, they are light weight, and aftermarket support is outstanding.  If I was only interested in going fast, a Fox Mustang is what I would build.  But I want to go fast AND look good, and I just can't get by the appearance of the Fox Mustangs.  A Fairmont or a Zephyr would be OK, but I just like the 60s cars so much better...
Jay Brown

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 11:27:26 AM »
Your SOHC in a coupe would go into the 8s easy, maybe even quicker with the right suspension under the rear.  One of the local cars I have help support with heads and intakes for several years has run 8.92 with 338 CI 9.0"deck Dart with Yates heads.  JMO, but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  I don't particularly like the looks of the Fox bodies,  but finding a nice older car has gotten pricey around here--triple what a nice Fox body will bring.  JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500