Author Topic: Scarebird front disc brake swap  (Read 3737 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Re: Scarebird front disc brake swap
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »
Here's the plumbing nightmare.  Does anyone have a schematic for the prop valve? Think I just might redo all this guys work.  I need a rear brake line now too.  Oh the joys of working on old csrs.

I believe that is just a distribution block and housing for the brake warning light switch. On my 67 Fairlane (distribution block looks very similar) the actual prop. valve is on the passenger side attached to the frame rail just behind the engine compartment.

GL

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
So what are you guys using for a 7/8 bore master cylinder?

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 03:21:03 PM »
I see a couple things there, first of all that tiny booster and then the ugly GM master cylinder. Pitch both. I think you'll find a bigger booster will still fit.
Rangers use a 15/16" bore. The 85 Mustang shows a .827" bore.  That may be the best bet and may still work with the mini booster.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=925171&cc=1430161&jsn=748

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
So how do you know what booster will fit? Are you guys just going to parts store and having them dig through stuff till it fits?

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 07:23:12 AM »
If the master cylinder change works, can you please post up and let us know. I bought the same setup for my '62 but have not installed yet.

Similarly, I liked that it was common parts in case something needs to be replaced eventually.

How much vacuum do you have at idle?  I have 14" and I seem to have better brakes when driving down the road..

driveamerican

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »
I did the Granada swap on a 64 fairlane and used a manual brake master from a manual brake bronco ii, also did the 390 c6 9 inch swap on the same car in most cases you could put lip prints on the windshield, unless you were stopping hard several times in a row. I don't know the bore size and I didn't have a brake booster but with that setup I was fine without power brakes, the wife complained a little but it wasn't enough to get her out of the seat.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 10:57:38 AM »
I did the Granada swap on a 64 fairlane and used a manual brake master from a manual brake bronco ii

Rockauto looks like it's a 15/16" master.  That would certainly be an improvement over a 1"+ bore.

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 11:05:09 AM »
I have a master cylinder for an 85 mustang coming. Listed as a .83 bore diameter. Well see how it works out.