Author Topic: Hauling my DW trailer on my car trailer.  (Read 1759 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Hauling my DW trailer on my car trailer.
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »
Do you guys think this will work? This is the best thing I can come up with. I can pin my ramps in place so they don't move around. I still don't like how much over hang I have. I get a feeling my ramp will dragging a lot going in and out of driveways. My only other option with this trailer is to remove my (stupid) tonneau cover and put in the truck bed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:31:34 PM by AlanCasida »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Hauling my DW trailer on my car trailer.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
Looks like you have good enough clearance, Clarence ;)  Me being a bit paranoid about things like that, I'd probably have about 6 ratchet straps backing up the chains that I had holding it in place..lol

Edit: That looks like a Harley tailight system on your DW trailer?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 01:43:26 PM »
If the ball on your truck was an inch lower, looks like you'd get more than 1" of additional clearance in the rear.

I've played with different hitch (ball) heights on my flatbed car hauler to eliminate dragging. Just my thoughts.

Richard

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
Edit: That looks like a Harley tailight system on your DW trailer?
Yes I was told that is from an Ultraglide. I think it was pulled behind a Harley at some point. There are HD stickers on the side too. If it works out ok I am going to paint it the same color as my Mustang(If IT works out ok) or my Galaxie if I end up using it for my DW car. It needs some cosmetic attention but I am not going to have time for that this year.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »
I would double up on the plywood siding in case the trailer takes a hard bounce. With the ramps pinned I think all would be good.

You could add a trailer hitch to the car hauler and left the little trailer follow along. :o
You could be your own caravan!!
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »
I would double up on the plywood siding in case the trailer takes a hard bounce. With the ramps pinned I think all would be good.

You could add a trailer hitch to the car hauler and left the little trailer follow along. :o
You could be your own caravan!!
This is just a mockup right now. I'll probably put a piece of 16ga sheetmetal for the tire to ride on. I've seen people do the double trailer thing but that's a little scary for me.  :o

mike7570

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
Truck Bed

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 11:11:51 PM »
Truck Bed

I almost suggested that, but I know from experience that with that trailer in the back of the truck, you're totally blind when looking for traffic behind you when trying to change lanes. I haul my trailer in the back of mine, and I absolutely have to have a passenger to see to my immediate right rear.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »
Truck Bed

I almost suggested that, but I know from experience that with that trailer in the back of the truck, you're totally blind when looking for traffic behind you when trying to change lanes. I haul my trailer in the back of mine, and I absolutely have to have a passenger to see to my immediate right rear.
Well, the more I looked at it the more I didn't like it so I am going to go ahead and put it in the bed of my truck. I am starting to miss my Galaxie and it's monster trunk already!