Author Topic: Engine Builders- Valve Spring cleaning procedure??  (Read 5307 times)

John67427

• View Profile
Engine Builders- Valve Spring cleaning procedure??
« on: March 24, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »
  MY first time doing my own valve springs. Chamfer and remove all sharp edges for retainers and seats. Articles I've read say not to clean with solvent. What do you use to clean the grit off? I understand if you don't oil the springs right after cleaning as rust could start. What is the proper procedure???

wowens

• View Profile
Re: Engine Builders- Valve Spring cleaning procedure??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:52:38 AM »
I'm not a "professional builder" but, started building in 63 & have all ways used mineral spirits for final cleaning of springs.
Woody

scott foxwell

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »
Solvent (mineral spirits), stiff brush if they're cruddy, rinse with hot water, spray with WD. I have NO idea why someone would say not to use solvent. Oil the springs before installation. You don't want dry springs on an engine when you start for the first time.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
I agree with Scott yet Comp Cams actually states do not clean springs with evaporative solvents (I did check their website btw).

They believe from their site that factory applied rust preventative coatings can be removed by some solvents. True as that may be, if one uses spirits, I don't see how this product could remove any coatings. Heck, on street rebuilds (fast and cheap!) we used to use virtually anything, gas, turpentine, brake cleaner, etc. to remove heavy crud but were careful after cleaning to WD-40 them to prevent rust from forming w/o any issues. Then, dumped them into a coffee can with oil before reinstalling. 
Bob Maag

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
Per Barry on the other fe site.
Some springs of "exotic" materials are harmed by solvents.
I'm more red neck than exotic, I clean my hands with mineral spirits 
Woody

John67427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »
Thanks for the responses. They are Manley Nextex springs so this isn't a normal street build, I should have said that in the post. Mineral spirits is a weak solvent but good for cleaning.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »
I need to respond on the other forum too - - I would hose them off with mineral spirits, air dry, and put them in a Tupperware tub of oil.  I think Manley is worried about the use of chlorinated brake cleaner and similar aggressive products.

John67427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »
 Just for the heck of it I'll call Manley on Monday and see what they say about it. Will post how they say to clean them.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:33:13 AM by John67427 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »
Since the time I was a kid helping my Dad rebuild flatheads, we've always used kerosene to clean engine parts. I guess that's too low tech for people today, but I've never had a spring issue, or any other issue using it.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
How dirty are a set of fancy springs?  Wash them in the sink with some Dove  LOL
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 05:11:46 PM »

How dirty are a set of fancy springs?  Wash them in the sink with some Dove  LOL
;D ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
I could see them being concerned in having chlorinated solvents (MEK) and titanium alloys in contact, but spring steels should be impervious.  I need to go do some reading now.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 09:37:33 AM »
I use PSC1000 from TSC in my wash tank - I don't see how that stuff could hurt any kind of material.  I use a 20 gallon tank from Harbor Freight and modified it to run the pump output through a FL1-A filter to keep the fluid pretty clean.  I wash everything. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:10:09 PM by Falcon67 »

scott foxwell

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
If springs are coated with an anti rust preservative, all the more reason to wash them. That stuff collects dust and dirt like a magnet. Put them in a clean plastic tub when you wash them ans see what comes off them. There isn't a part in an engine that should come out of the package and go into the motor without a good cleaning and inspection, minimum.
I also agree that spring steels are all but impervious to anything you're going to use to clean them.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »
Since the time I was a kid helping my Dad rebuild flatheads, we've always used kerosene to clean engine parts. I guess that's too low tech for people today, but I've never had a spring issue, or any other issue using it.
Yep, agree on the kerosene.  Relatively cheap and very effective.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick