Author Topic: sfi Bellhousing  (Read 1298 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
sfi Bellhousing
« on: December 03, 2018, 01:54:02 PM »
What brand/model number will work in truck application with an NP435. with mechanical shift fork. I am unsure of the differences most stuff is listed for top loaders of which I know nothing about.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: sfi Bellhousing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
Only from what I have read, the truck bellhousing is deeper then a car.  Thus the input is slightly longer.  Not sure what guys do, other then shorter the NP input slightly to match.
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
I don't have one of those bells in front of me, but if anyone could sit one on the floor, engine flange down, and measure from the floor to the trans flange, we could run some numbers. 

QuickTime is what I would go to for an SFI bell.  Their part number 6057 is for a Toploader depth application.  It's around 6-3/8" deep.  The 6056 is the TKO depth application and it's around 7" deep.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »
Input shaft in the truck tranny is smallblock length, even for an FE. The tuck bell is deeper but there are three ways to solve it. I have done all three in my truck for the various transmissions.
 One is use smaller OD pilot set deeper into the crank so the splines don't bottom out. This moves the tranny forward and you may need to cut the throwout bearing collar down  too. The splines are long enough for that.

You can modify the input shaft, usually the crank is deep enough there is no need to cut the pilot tip but the splines will bottom into the pilot bushing. The splines can be cut back to lengthen the pilot tip.

Another way is to make a spacer between the bell and trans.