Author Topic: Had another good weekend...of sorts. Runner up!  (Read 5231 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Had another good weekend...of sorts. Runner up!
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
Milan Michigan had a "Stick Shift Shootout" last Saturday during their "Kick'n it old school" event.  Everything had to be pre 76.  Car show, swap meet, Great Lakes Gasser, gamblers race and the stick shift race.  This was NOT a UMTR event.  It was put on by a local stick shift racer in Michigan.

The big twist was they ran it on a .400 Pro tree!!  Ya.  That put a real loop into cutting a good light, especially with my 29" front tires and 8" of suspension travel.  I was adjusting everything I could to try to get a decent light but everyone was in the same boat basically.

The track had TEETH.  Car was hooking HARD and basically still pulling the wheels into third gear.  The more air I put in the rear tires, the higher it seemed to go.

With only 12 cars showing, they ran a DOUBLE elimination so instead of only 3 rounds, it took 6 rounds to win.  It was actually kind fun...until my bye into the final.  I hit third gear and all hell broke loose.  I split the transmission case in a dozen pieces or more, it puked its guts pretty hard.  I made a quick stop and pulled to the side of the track.  The starter got down and thanked me for a quick stop.  It was near the end of the day and so I didn't hurt the program time wise.

Once we strapped a pan to the bottom of the car we were able to finally get the the transmission in a good enough neutral to be able to pull it back to my trailer.  It was jammed up pretty good  :o .  It's ugly. I got it pullled last night and got it apart.  Ugly.  1,2,3 are trashed, case is junk.  Besides that...it's all good LOL!!  I made a call to my buddy Stanley Dye who gave me this GF5R to run 4 yrs ago.  We talked this morning and he is setting me up with a new case and gear sets.  I have my original Nash I bought in 1997 and will be putting it back in for the meantime.  I broke it 4 yrs ago, thus when Stanley gave me a box to run.  I fixed mine and it has just sat there since all covered in dust.

I got runner up money, $150(better then sharp stick in the eye).  The race organizer is putting another one on in Sept during another nostalgia event at Milan.  He hopes more guys will show up and run.  Winner got $600, he hopes to make that $1000 next time.  If things continue to grow, he hopes to put on 3-4 races next year.   The 3 3/4 hour drive is a bit long, but doable.  With the air conditioning and cruise control in the Mack it is not a horrible way to travel.

A friend posted pics/videos on Facebook, so you have to find me to see the links.
Larry

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Had another good weekend...of sorts. Runner up!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »
I never know what to say on these...Congrats on the great day you were having, until it went totally wrong lol. I feel for you. When you're clicking off those round wins it feels so good, then everything turns 180 degrees. What are the pictures posted under on Facebook, maybe I can help get them on here?
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:05 PM »
Larry, I love the fact that you are a banzai racer and will run the car hard in the race until it breaks.  I really respect that, as opposed to the guy who hears a little noise and puts it back on the trailer.  I remember back during Drag Week in 2008 I was leading the class the first three days, but kept burning up rocker arms.  I think I replaced 10 or 11 of them before I ran out of spares and had to give up.  The engine was trashed with all those broken up needle bearings floating around in there, but I wouldn't have respected myself if I had given up before I absolutely had to.

Last few years at Drag Week they have been running everyone on a pro tree, and I can't seem to cut a light on a pro tree to save my life.  If reaction time counted at Drag Week I'd never win LOL!  Kudos to you for working that pro tree, and congrats on the runner up finish - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I don't sweat it too hard.  It's racing and you have to take the good with the bad.   It is unusual that I actually spit out parts.  It's been 15? yrs since I made a mess on the track.  I broke a distributor roll pin last fall at Pittsburgh.  I thought it was done for the weekend, but found a roll pin and was back at it.  That's about the hardest I want to thrash.... ;D

Jay, I don't run roller ANYTHING just because of those kinda of issues.  I know things are much better made today, but a roller lifter failure is ugly if you don't catch it earlier enough.  My ol flat tappet cam is in for the duration(pun).

The pics aren't mine, but a buddies page.  He has a few videos too.   I downloaded the video to my phone so I guess I could get it put to Youtube.  I checked Milans  website and they don't have anything posted.
Larry

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:23:51 PM »
So, I imagine a gear lets go then the shrapnel gets caught between gears and the pressure pops the case, or do you think the case let go first somehow?  Sorry to hear about the carnage.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
Typically the case doesn't get hurt, but for whatever reason a big enough chunk got caught in the middle and when the shafts tried to separate it pushed them apart and pops the case where the bearings ride.  The rear bearings on the main and cluster were blown to bits.  I'm guessing third blew, a chunk got back to first and that is what popped the case.

Just a month ago I lost first gear cluster.  It's only a 17 tooth gear, it basically just falls off the shaft and nothing gets hurt as it lays in the bottom of the case.  In 20 yrs, I haven't lost that many gears, at least it is not what I call a common issue with me.  If every 3-4 yrs I break something, that's good for a heavy stick car.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:01:06 PM »
Ditto what Kevin said....Congrats...er, sorry? That sucks that it trashed the case. Was there anything salvageable in the trans?
Where do you make the adjustment to speed up/slow down your linkage? I'd assume it would have to be on the clutch pedal or the Z-bar, like shortening or lengthening the throw point? It sounds like it's a threaded adjustment, so I'd be curious how you accomplished this.

Some guys don't have the cash flow to push stuff past the "no sense" point, and tear stuff up. I certainly wouldn't blame someone, when there's a sign something is going wrong, for packing up before major damage is done. A long time ago, I had a couple street races (nobody freak out, it was on a deserted country road in Nowhere, Ohio). After one race, there was a small detectable peck coming from the engine. I decided to race another guy and promptly ended up with a very loud knock. It trashed a good steel crank and Lemans rod, which would most likely have been fine if I had stopped at the first sign of bearing trouble. I was lucky I didn't blow the rod and block, but I'm sure it was close. Given the cost of those parts today (steel cranks weren't that difficult to find, or expensive back then), I'd stop short of trashing them. Last time I checked, bearings were quite a bit cheaper than an entire engine.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 07:49:37 AM »
Well, I got it torn down and washed up.  1, 2, 3 are junk, the handcuff is junk, the case is junk.  I brought the shafts to work to see how straight they are.

As for linkage, yes, I just shorten it at the Z bar where the factory adjustment is at above the steering box.  I just loosen it a turn or so, so it basically doesn't release as far, thus releasing it quicker=better reaction time.  I typically have it set for what it takes to cut a light on a regular .500 sportsman tree.   It's all whacked now, but I kept track of the turns so I should be able to move it back to where I was at.

If you remember I was playing with it at Beaver trying to keep myself from redlighting.  I was lengthening it there.  There is a sweet spot that I can be somewhat repeatable with decent lights.

Yes, I won't go up and make a pass just to blow it up.  If I know something is wrong I stop.  There is always another day to race.  This little incident was out of the blue and not foreseeable.  A few years back I chipped a ring gear.  I heard the infamous whine on the return road at Thompson.  I jacked it up and you could feel the thump as you turned the rear tires.  I knew it was junk.  If I launched it, it would likely take the driveshaft and/or transmission.  I just staged the car to get my next round points.  No harm, no foul.
Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »
Don't laugh Larry but do you see a Pro-style Liberty tranny in your future?

Love the Nash design trans btw as I have had a Richmond/Doug Nash street 5-speed on my Mach 1 for years now and love it. But with your car's weight, launches, high # of rounds run, yada-yada....would the VERY high cost of a Liberty and shifter be worth it? 
Bob Maag

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »
$9600 is the current pricing.  My buddy just bought one for his Tbird.  He plans on running 8.90's or so.   Sorry, I don't have $10K laying around the house for something like that.  Just ain't happening.

LUCKILY I have a "sponsor" of sorts.  He gave me the GF5R that I've been running for 4 yrs.  He is more then happy to give me what I need to fix it.

This was a fluke, as I've never really had severe issues with transmissions even with my car/weight/power.
Larry

57 lima bean

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
Thank goodness for sponsers.Mine is Mia Wallett.Love that French gal.Best of luck Larry as the season goes on.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
Ya, I know Mia Wallet..... :o.  Very popular gal........... ;) 

I also know Her Wallet.  I'm a very fortune guy with a girl that likes to contribute to the cause sometimes.  Very rare species!
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 02:43:17 PM »
Well, all is well again with the world.  I guess.   Got my old Nash put back in and working okay for last Saturday's race.  Running same numbers in the 1/8 mile, as gearing is near similar in both boxes.

My day was shortened by a red light first round............but I didn't break anything........ :-[
Larry

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 04:57:30 PM »
Just the opposite car stayed together and you need the work.  ::) ;)

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 08:52:17 AM »
Are you planning on replacing the G-Force?
I'm curious, did you go straight to a 5-spd after the toploader? After seeing a bunch of races between 4 and 5 spds, I can't say I notice any advantage to the 5. I realize your car is heavier than 99% of the cars out there, so it likely helps your car, but was wondering if you noticed the difference in ET?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »
Just the opposite car stayed together and you need the work.  ::) ;)
Ya, I was telling myself at least I didn't break it?   I've got light issues again.  Just can't get myself out of that .400 pro tree from the week before.

Doug, I'm waiting on response from my guy on getting the pieces I need to get it back together.

Yes, back when I still ran the motor from the blue truck(428CJ) I switched to the Nash from a toploader.  It was worth .15 and a couple MPH.  The deeper first and extra gear will always be quicker then a four speed.  Pro stock runs a 5 spd for a reason.
Larry

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
Never used a 400 tree I could definetly see how from week to week that could mess you up. I have only been to the track a handful of times the last couple of years, but in the 80s and early 90s when I used to go every week you get used to the tree,going back and forth messes with your timing.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
I've worked on the car to slow it down for a .500 sportsman tree with LED lights.   Then for one day I had to TRY to red light and you can't on a .400 pro tree(unless you anticipate and leave before the tree is activated).  Then to try to slow myself down and WAIT for the last amber is something I have to set my mind for :-\ .
Larry