Author Topic: Holley Sniper Stealth / 3-speed MX / FX transmission  (Read 1763 times)

octane.music

• View Profile
Holley Sniper Stealth / 3-speed MX / FX transmission
« on: March 08, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »
Hi all.

I'm considering buying a Holley Sniper Stealth EFI master kit for my 352, which would be used again on a later (bigger) build.

However, I've seen a number of things and conflicting arguments that means I need to ask it all in one go.

1 - Can I get away with the in-line fuel pump supplied with the kit? (Guessing I'd need to bypass the stock pump afterwards if that's a yes?)
2 - I have a 3-speed MX / FX transmission (can't remember which sorry, just '4' on the door tag!), the sniper kit doesn't appear to have kickdown linkage - is there an easy / cheap way to fix this?
3 - I can't remember 3 for now!  ;D

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: Holley Sniper Stealth / 3-speed MX / FX transmission
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 06:55:32 PM »
You can adapt the Lokar C6 kickdown cable to work with an FMX. I have a 352 in a 67 2wd pickup and an FMX set up that way.

Holley offers several different fuel system kits so I'm not sure which pump you are referencing. The inline pumps work fine as long as they're at least as low as the tank, most of them don't like pulling much head height, especially Holley's pumps. You'll need a return line.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:08:21 PM »
An in-line pump will be fine......until your pick up becomes uncovered.

Lots of info here and they are really helpful.

https://www.efisystempro.com/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:11:50 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 01:17:19 PM »
Hi all.

I'm considering buying a Holley Sniper Stealth EFI master kit for my 352, which would be used again on a later (bigger) build.

However, I've seen a number of things and conflicting arguments that means I need to ask it all in one go.

1 - Can I get away with the in-line fuel pump supplied with the kit? (Guessing I'd need to bypass the stock pump afterwards if that's a yes?)
2 - I have a 3-speed MX / FX transmission (can't remember which sorry, just '4' on the door tag!), the sniper kit doesn't appear to have kickdown linkage - is there an easy / cheap way to fix this?
3 - I can't remember 3 for now!  ;D

The 2020 series of Super Sniper EFI kits do have a kickdown linkage that have been advertising. 

If you plan on running the main harness through your firewall, do yourself a favor and get a good set of terminal removal tools.  We had to remove the main connector on the Sniper EFI harness to route everything through the firewall.  That connector is huge.  Also, if you want the Sniper to control timing, you need to get the Holley EFI distributor (I went with the Hyperspark) and a compatible ignition box (I went with an MSD that Brent sold me).  You do need an adapter harness from the distributor to the Sniper timing inputs cable. 

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »
I was going to put the sniper on my FE but Thru some investigation was told that Sniper having its ECU in front doesn't like MSD distributor Fords distributor location being so close it can cause EMI (?) with the timing control Holley uses a Hall effect which is suppose to be cleaner. Also hope you don't mind not knowing your engine temp. because the EFI needs to plug into Fords one and only water bong.  They also say that EFI likes single plane intakes, but you may be able to get away with a 1" open spacer. If I'm thinking of the electric fuel pump that comes with the kit, it's pretty good, quiet to. Iirc the sniper has a built in regulator cause you need something like 50# of pressure and you'll also need a return line to your fuel tank. these thins don't just bolt on in an afternoon it takes some planning.

I'm looking at the Terminator now since it's electronics can be placed inside the cab also have an idea on the water temp hook up, but still in the works.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 01:19:17 PM »
I was going to put the sniper on my FE but Thru some investigation was told that Sniper having its ECU in front doesn't like MSD distributor Fords distributor location being so close it can cause EMI (?) with the timing control Holley uses a Hall effect which is suppose to be cleaner. Also hope you don't mind not knowing your engine temp. because the EFI needs to plug into Fords one and only water bong.  They also say that EFI likes single plane intakes, but you may be able to get away with a 1" open spacer. If I'm thinking of the electric fuel pump that comes with the kit, it's pretty good, quiet to. Iirc the sniper has a built in regulator cause you need something like 50# of pressure and you'll also need a return line to your fuel tank. these thins don't just bolt on in an afternoon it takes some planning.

I'm looking at the Terminator now since it's electronics can be placed inside the cab also have an idea on the water temp hook up, but still in the works.

You have to get the Holley Hyperspark/Dualsync distributor to address that issue.  As for the single/dual plane intake concern, that is legitimate.  They claim it causes surging if you have the plane divider up close to the throttle body.  The built in regulator is fine for N/A, but if you ever plan on running boost you need to block it off and run an external regulator on the opposite ports. 

You do need to use the coolant port for the temp sensor, but there is an output from the Sniper unit that you can run to an electronic gauge. 

They are not nearly as plug-and-play as they advertise, but a lot of people are getting excellent results with them.  Of course if you have the option of Sniper vs MPFI, go MPFI for obvious reasons

octane.music

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 04:47:25 PM »
Thanks all.

Turns out it doesn't appear to be an issue (the kickdown), so that's all good.

I've decided to take the plunge and order the Holley 19-350 in-tank kit, to retrofit to my tank. I've had a measure and there's enough clearance above, just.

As for the distributor, I have a new Duraspark that's been tickled with a custom recurve by Wes Adams, who recommended me the sniper kit to work with it.

I'm looking into getting a tacho / coolant temp output gauge too

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 04:42:23 PM »
Be aware the coolant temp sensors supplied with the Sniper are notorius for being out. It doesn't really matter for tuning if you are aware of it....but if its your only temp gauge...........