Author Topic: Making an exhaust system - opinions?  (Read 1941 times)

octane.music

• View Profile
Making an exhaust system - opinions?
« on: June 14, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »
Hi all!

I'm just in the process of doing my own exhaust system. Something I've never done before (having to MIG it, excuse the workmanship!).

Rear section is done (nearly), one downpipe is done (from a Sanderson header) and only needs the V band welding on. Just awaiting delivery of my mini starter so I can make a start on the other downpipe.

Then, I just need to mate it all, which brings me to my question

H pipe, X pipe, or no merge at all?

As it stands it'll be on a stock 352ci, but it's being built for my future stroker motor that might get a torquestorm bolted on.

For reference, it's 2 x 3" pipes throughout.

plovett

Re: Making an exhaust system - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
I say put on either an H-pipe or an X-pipe.   An H-pipe should be easier to fit and will work well.  Power gains will likely be very small, but real.  Noise reduction and change in sound character will also be small but noticeable.   

I have an X-pipe on my car and I like it.  I would always put a merge point in, be it H or X.

JMO,

paulie

plovett

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 02:53:07 PM »
Also, x-pipes are easier to "mess up", in my opinion.  Sometimes two pipes are bent together, cut open on the sides and welded together.  That is okay but sometimes too much cross sectional area is lost in the process.  With an H-pipe it is not an issue. 

JMO,

paulie

I bought an x-pipe from here.

http://www.drgas.com/X-Pipe-Crossover-Junction-Only_p_37.html

Dang!  Those are expensive now. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:57:22 PM by plovett »

octane.music

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 03:08:11 PM »
Sorry, I should add, I have a stock of bends, so an X pipe would be pretty easy to do I think. Just a case of cutting and welding 2 'U' or 'L' pipes from the box.

plovett

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 03:14:00 PM »
Sorry, I should add, I have a stock of bends, so an X pipe would be pretty easy to do I think. Just a case of cutting and welding 2 'U' or 'L' pipes from the box.

Holy cow!  Yeah, you have plenty of parts.  My point is try not to cut too much off of the merging pipes if you are making an x-pipe. Too much loses cross sectional area.  That is what I think anyway.

paulie

octane.music

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 03:18:24 PM »
Holy cow!  Yeah, you have plenty of parts.  My point is try not to cut too much off of the merging pipes if you are making an x-pipe. Too much loses cross sectional area.  That is what I think anyway.

paulie

Yeah, I bought a large box to cover a car or 2's worth. Plenty more than I'll need, just in case I get it wrong.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 05:47:02 PM »
X Pipe. Big sound difference, you will like it.
Woody

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
I watched a YouTube video a while back from Engine Masters.  I just tried finding it and couldn’t locate it. They tested H pipes and X pipes.  Their results showed the X pipe made 2hp more than the H pipe, plus the Xpipe sounded smoother under power and quieter at idle. I’m sure results may vary based on dozens of factors. 
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

plovett

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 06:39:58 PM »
I would say an x-pipe sounds more raspy and high pitched, like a buzz saw.  It accentuates the high rpm sound, makes it sound even higher.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 06:55:11 PM »
Jegs sells an X pipe that comes with front and rear pipes and I believe it’s like 100 bucks. It’s what I used it came out great. The three inch kit is 129 the 2 inch is 80. Part number for 3 inch is 30664. If you punch in universal X pipe system at Jegs you can see them all.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 06:59:57 PM by Stangman »

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 04:57:46 AM »
I just finished up my '86 F-150 with a 406 in it. I ran FPA Tri-Y headers, 3" exhaust, x-pipe(jeg's kit), thrush glass packs and tail pipes. I really like the sounds of the glass packs with an x-pipe.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 09:06:43 AM »
I ran dual without a crossover at one point and hated it, so I strongly recommend a crossover even if the numbers are marginally different.  Usually, H-pipes are more throaty and X-pipes have a more "Exotic" and raspy sound.  I've run both, multiple times on multiple cars, and I can't specifically point to which one "sounds better" or "performs better."  We all know X-pipes have a slight advantage in the upper rpm range, but I doubt anyone on the planet can sense the difference without looking at dyno graphs.

Since you are going with 3" pipes, you may be able to find a used X-pipe system from an SN95 Cobra and chop the crossover.  I did something similar with a Bassani stainless X-pipe about 13 years ago.  It was a bizarre but unique setup and sounded excellent with an FI 334.  Otherwise you can buy the crossover as a component to weld in from Summit or Jegs for like $100. 

Fabricating an X-pipe crossover from scratch is more involved than just notching the pipes.  Lots of manufacturers have an upper half and lower half die-formed, then weld the seam rather than make them strictly from pipe. 

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 10:42:05 AM »
Hi all!

I'm just in the process of doing my own exhaust system. Something I've never done before (having to MIG it, excuse the workmanship!).

Rear section is done (nearly), one downpipe is done (from a Sanderson header) and only needs the V band welding on. Just awaiting delivery of my mini starter so I can make a start on the other downpipe.

Then, I just need to mate it all, which brings me to my question

H pipe, X pipe, or no merge at all?

As it stands it'll be on a stock 352ci, but it's being built for my future stroker motor that might get a torquestorm bolted on.

For reference, it's 2 x 3" pipes throughout.

Whatever you do, just be sure you can yank the tranny/bellhousing later w/o cutting up your exhaust system! Strategically placed bolt-up flanges are your friends!
Bob Maag

octane.music

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 02:10:40 PM »

Whatever you do, just be sure you can yank the tranny/bellhousing later w/o cutting up your exhaust system! Strategically placed bolt-up flanges are your friends!

I'll have a V Band at the bottom of the down pipes, then the mid / rear section will be removable as one unit (hence me welding them together with the little ladder bars (also to help make the system!) :)