Author Topic: Stock 352 - upgrade shopping list  (Read 2538 times)

octane.music

• View Profile
Stock 352 - upgrade shopping list
« on: March 02, 2019, 05:52:10 PM »
Hi all!

Firstly, please do accept my apologies for my lack of knowledge on all things FE, I'm very new to them and relatively new to American cars having only owned them for 2 1/2 years (I'm in England). I've asked a couple of things on here, and hoping to back it up with a little more direction soon!

Further to my previous questions regarding adding boost, I think I've now decided (at least for now) that when my car finally arrives here (it's heading it's way over the Atlantic imminently) won't be getting forced induction, but will be being helped via an increase in bore and stroke to likely take it to a 425.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bore would need to be taken out to 4.05" yes?

In addition to this, I've seen various companies selling what I'd need, but I'd like to hear from those that know regarding what I should be looking at. My initial thoughts are an Edelbrock top end kit and a Survival Motorsports stroker kit, but I'm happy to listen to you all! Additionally, what else will I need? I'm not regarding the transmission / rear end at present, that's a question for another time!

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

The car, for those who want to know -  ;D

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Stock 352 - upgrade shopping list
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 06:05:45 PM »
We have done a lot of the 352s at 4.05 lately. 
So many that I think my piston supplier has been surprised.
I was afraid I was doubling up on orders when I ask for 3 or 4 of something I have only sold one of in the prior year.
Lets you use all the popular heads with a CJ 2.09/1.65 valve

octane.music

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »
I was afraid I was doubling up on orders when I ask for 3 or 4 of something I have only sold one of in the prior year.

Hi Barry. Going by your Survival pic there I'm assuming you're at Survival? If so, great to have someone representing! Do you do a 'top end kit' as well as a stroker kit? I'm not buying straight away but it would make more sense to me to get everything posted in one go.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
660's, a tunnelwedge or get out!

Seriously, that is an awesome wagon.  I would have a very hard time building a 352 for it.  Either way, good luck.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »
Hi Barry. Going by your Survival pic there I'm assuming you're at Survival? If so, great to have someone representing!

Barry works pretty close with the guys at Survival. Being the owner/operator, he doesn't really have a choice. ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »

Barry works pretty close with the guys at Survival. Being the owner/operator, he doesn't really have a choice. ;D

Been a bit of a mixed blessing lately. :)

Down by one assembly guy and an office manager has made the days pretty challenging...

wcbrowning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 01:19:33 AM »
Barry also has his own FE cylinder heads, with modern combustion chambers.  You should discuss them with him.

Hi Barry. Going by your Survival pic there I'm assuming you're at Survival? If so, great to have someone representing! Do you do a 'top end kit' as well as a stroker kit? I'm not buying straight away but it would make more sense to me to get everything posted in one go.

octane.music

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 01:54:19 AM »
Barry also has his own FE cylinder heads, with modern combustion chambers.  You should discuss them with him.

Yeah I've seen that, hence me asking a little above regarding top end kits. If there's a Survival version if Edelbrock's top end kit I'm listening!

Adding to that I'm looking for anything else that I might need though, even down to gaskets / bolts. For example, exhaust manifolds seem to be hard to come by, who to use?

fastf67

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 11:59:33 PM »
As far as the E-Bok heads in there top end kits, The machine work is not the best quality but usable. Yes they really need to be checked out before running or may find the life span may not be there. There are multiple chats about this and easy to find using the search feature or even find on Youtube. With the builders here, they are bolt on with confidence. By the time you buy the E-Boks and pay someone to check them out its pretty much a wash to barry's, brent's, blair's and others pricing. Just food for thought.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 03:35:41 AM »
You probably won't find a top end "kit" by any of the serious FE guys like you will a catalog part like the Edelbrocks. Barry, Blair, Brent, etc can all supply you with a full build kit, but it will be all stuff that will work for your build specifically and not a generic box of semi-ok parts like you get from a mail order place. Not saying Edelbrocks are terrible, but I don't like their kits.

Give a good FE builder a phone call or email and get parts in a kit or package that works well for your build. I'd stay away from the pre-boxed stuff.

wcbrowning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »
This is solid advice

You probably won't find a top end "kit" by any of the serious FE guys like you will a catalog part like the Edelbrocks. Barry, Blair, Brent, etc can all supply you with a full build kit, but it will be all stuff that will work for your build specifically and not a generic box of semi-ok parts like you get from a mail order place. Not saying Edelbrocks are terrible, but I don't like their kits.

Give a good FE builder a phone call or email and get parts in a kit or package that works well for your build. I'd stay away from the pre-boxed stuff.

octane.music

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »

As far as the E-Bok heads in there top end kits, The machine work is not the best quality but usable. Yes they really need to be checked out before running or may find the life span may not be there. There are multiple chats about this and easy to find using the search feature or even find on Youtube. With the builders here, they are bolt on with confidence. By the time you buy the E-Boks and pay someone to check them out its pretty much a wash to barry's, brent's, blair's and others pricing. Just food for thought.

This is solid advice

Duly noted. In time I'll get in touch personally. Thanks. :)