Author Topic: 1975 F250 Highboy OEM Steering-Bendix  (Read 2211 times)

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
1975 F250 Highboy OEM Steering-Bendix
« on: August 01, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »
The truck has an stout FE on the stand...does that count?  ;D

I am going to be converting my 4x4 to a more modern steering. Before doing so I want to sell the parts.  If there is any interest, please PM me.

I figure one of your guys/gals may have a project in the works.  Will likely post it on some other Ford sites but wanted to put it here first if allowed.

What it is:

1975 F250 Factory Power Steering-Bendix Type.

Both major hydraulic parts came from Red Head Steering-6 years old but less than 2,000 miles. 

Bendix Control Valve: Little Surface rust from the clip being off for two months....easy to clean-touch up paint. Like new otherwise.

Hoses as shown-Included.

Ford Hydraulic Ram-for above application.

These should be bolt on and go....no work needed other than to purge the air, clean and maybe touch up paint to your liking.
All the mechanical parts were ordered and installed at one time. The truck has set for the past 3 years but no signs of leaks or issues. They just need the road grime knocked off and painted. 

Refurbished from Red Head the control valve is $496 plus core, the Ram $346 plus core.  Would prefer to sell all parts as one, but may split if need be.  The steering box and pitman arm can be added to the equation to sweeten the deal but the box could use some tlc.

Make an offer, may be open to trades in streetmaster, rpm intake, heads, for another project, equal value or plus boot.

Sorry it took so long to get the pics added.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:33:29 PM by HarleyJack17 »

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: 1975 F250 Highboy OEM Steering-Bendix
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 06:59:30 PM »
Do you have any pictures? I`m trying to come up with a power steering set up to go on a 64 F350 2wd.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »
go with electric power steering eliminate all the hoses only 3 wires

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »
Do you have any pictures? I`m trying to come up with a power steering set up to go on a 64 F350 2wd.

I will try to get some this weekend and put them up.  Unless the '64 uses a non-independent style front end, I doubt it would work.  I am not familiar with the earlier 2wd trucks...I know what back they used a beam and leaf springs , not too much different than a 4x4 axle.

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »
I have (had) a ram assist steering system on my '73 4x4 High-boy chassis. I took it off because I got tired of trying to find the hoses that would fit correctly.
What are your hoses? Are they OEM Ford? Aftermarket?  Do you have all 4 of the hoses - pump and ram? It sounds as if you've actually run it so they must connect ok.
I think I bought 3 different sets of aftermarket hoses; some were way off, some needed tweaking that wasn't going to be easy to do. None of them actually fit 'right'.
So before I tried to repair the OEM hoses I just removed the whole system and installed a regular drag link.
I may have an interest in everything, but would like to see some pictures and know where they will be shipped from.
Thanks, Bill

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 03:26:42 PM »
Bill,

They are aftermarket hoses.  It is odd you say that because they fit, but not like the factory hoses did.  I was able to make them work, but since day one I did not like how it had to be done.
Hard to explain since they appeared the same but they are not...obviously so since they did not go back into the factory spots 100%.....it is almost like they are molded but someone reversed it somehow. Again, they worked but I had to figure out a way to clamp/retain them.  And yes all 4 hoses/fittings.  Everything there for the hydraulic steering.

I will try to get some pics.  It was a busy weekend so it was pushed to the back burner.

Shipping from Cabot, AR 72023

Dustin

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 08:29:29 PM »
Do you still have the steering set up for sale, and if so what would take for it . Looking to replace or rebuild the one on my son's 75 highboy.
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
I still have it.  Another project got in the way of me getting it off the truck and taking pics.  I will PM you.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »
Pics finally updated and project is back on the agenda.  If any interest PM me. Parts are in Central, AR.