Author Topic: thoughts on FITECH EFI  (Read 49614 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: thoughts on FITECH EFI
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
When we decided to install a 427 TP engine in Brother Lon's then-new '67 Mustang, a test engine's pieces (from the GT40 program) were made available through contacts at 'Triple E'. We got all the upper half of the engine, to include the heads, complete, the dual-plane manifold, and the pair of 652 center-squirter Holleys. We didn't get the carb linkage and sourced it from 'he who isn't mentioned here'. (hwimh screwed us so that's the reason for my own antipathy toward him.)

That combination was probably as scienced-out as carbs get, since the necessity at LeMans is to go flat-out down the Mulsanne straight and a little further on to creep around Arnage. They say that at Arnage you'd be going at about 15-20 MPH and AJ Foyt has claimed to have hit 240 before lifting on the Mulsanne.

In its later iterations, we tried a whole host of carb sizes on Lon's 427 Mustang. And, ultimately, with the help of the then-new Fuel Injection Group at Holley, we installed and tuned a pair of the then-new 9000-series TBI units. I wrote about the experience in several different magazines including Super Ford and Mustang and Fords.

We did testing on the half-mile track at T&C Livonia using an accelerometer to check on improvements. The end result was to have seamless street manners and to have cut almost two seconds off the track time.

As Jay said, "...you'll never go back."

KS
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:29:25 PM by cammerfe »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »

As Jay said, "...you'll never go back."

KS

Indeed, only reason I don't have a completed picture of the SEFI in my Mustang is because I have no reason to open the hood anymore :)

Oil stays spotless, plugs look new after years and years, no percolation, no vapor lock...just drive

It's funny how annoying a hand choke is on the F100 now.  I drove it since 1984 and it never bothered me, but the EFI on the Mustang spoiled me!

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2016, 10:07:36 PM »
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the fitech efi ... I will post some pictures and results as I get it installed ...

gtxpress

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2016, 09:13:34 AM »
Installed an fitech system on Monday.  Did not to run well on Tuesday (actually first day of driving) didn't want to start unless you hit accelerator,  seemed like it was loading up on upshifts and idle was erratic.  Wednesday morning, system fired right up and adjusted idle a little then settled in.  Upshift were smoother but seemed a little off.  Changed cam setting to wild (#4) and everything settled in.  So at that point I put my foot in it.  Very, very nice.  The only problem was that the system seemed to hang on returning to idle.  Finally called them and they answered on first ring.  Explained my plight and he showed me how to adjust IAC step down so now I am impressed.   Asked him about cam selection and he agreed that I should use #4 setting as I only have 7 in. Of vacuum.  Stated that is the main reason that selection is there.  Also about driveability their system is divided into three main settings.  Idle, cruise and WOT AND those are individually adjustable under the PRO SECTION of their menus.  As I learn more about system I may get into that.  I have to say that overall it is an excellent system and the learning system does work as it runs.  My 445 with a .600 in can is happy.  Granted I took off my 750 holley that was running fat due to the fact that I had not tuned for WOT YET.  nice product and customer service was great (considering they answered).  GT

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »
Sounds good!

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2016, 06:52:32 PM »
That's great news for us guys with only 7"!  ;D  How's the tip in? Be interested in the plugs after a bit of running too. Please keep us appraised of its performance over the coming weeks.

gtxpress

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2016, 07:30:01 PM »
That's great news for us guys with only 7"!  ;D  How's the tip in? Be interested in the plugs after a bit of running too. Please keep us appraised of its performance over the coming weeks.
Overall tip-in is acceptable.   Is not lean but seems to go to rich side momentarily.  I have not logged anything yet and really haven't plugged the monitor in while driving.  Today I hooked up the fan circuit to it.  I have a dual spal setup and just hooked up (what they call) fan 1 circuit.  Fan 2 I will do this winter when I rewire the fans for it.  It will also control the timing advance and I may do that a little later on.  Presently I am satisfied with the petronix I setup and currently running 13 * plus 12* in distributor for a total of 37*.  A little steep but I have a gas mix in it at the moment.  I am wanting to put it on a dyno before i start changing stuff, so that is next! GT

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »
Which system did you get?

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2016, 05:12:08 AM »
I got the 600hp kit. I have a big solid cam and very little vac. I also plan to setup timing and use it with my n2o setup. 

gtxpress

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2016, 06:45:18 AM »
Which system did you get?

EFI 4 POWER ADDER w/ command center.
The command center is not necessary but I liked the idea of a sump with pump built in to keep it cooler.
The power adder series gives the ability to control both fans individually and really (for me) was the decision point.  I am not planning on running nitrious but it could.  GT

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »
I have mine up and running ...it takes a little bit of tinkering to get them setup for bigger motors. I have about 30 miles on mine and its running pretty dang good ...

you can tell the hp is up and the throttle response is insane.. you hammer it,its right there right now ...

p.s.....The price alone of just reaching in and turning the key is amazing !... half a crank and its up and purring ..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:35:43 PM by bartlett »

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2016, 08:21:38 AM »
I will be watching this thread very closely. I have been planning for EFI for several years...yes, seriously. I just never felt comfortable with the systems that were available and really have too much going on in my life to deal with days of tuning or fabricating.

I already have a Victor EFI Dominator on the motor. Currently running my 950DP and have aluminum square tubing bolted into place where the fuel rails would be, holding tapered rubber plugs into each injector port. Have the Edelbrock fuel rails too...somewhere.

I like the fuel delivery concept that FiTech uses. It handles the return vs. returnless dilemma nicely.

I've been in contact with FiTech and they claim a port injection setup is coming (this was a couple months ago). I also have a Pontiac with tri-power, currently running as a 2V with the outer carbs mounted with blockoff plates because of inherent Rochester crapiness. They are also working on a 2V version that had my interest that may be out already. I've seen computer generated images on their sight in the past. Also interested in the 2V for my daughter's '70 F100.

I'll have my ear open as this discussion develops further. Also interested in the list you put together Jay. As an engineer, I'm not afraid to tune, but it can't become a second career.

Jim
Jim

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »
The price alone of just reaching in and turning the key is amazing !... half a crank and its up and purring ..

How was the starting before? Mine is always a bitch when hot and left for a bit.

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2016, 05:27:49 AM »
I had the choke removed so first cold starts where the 5 pump and feather the gas for the first min to get it to smooth out. (no big deal) hot starts always had me worried. you never knew what you would get. sometimes it would fire right off and sometimes it would crank and not fire off so you had to open the gas a little and it would fire off. this would be a 10 second crank up .... My worry was when hot I didnt have much ooops cranking time. My batt would only start the car like that maybe 4-5 times and be done...  So you didnt want to flood it or make any mistakes starting it. Me this wasnt a big deal I new the car and how to start it. My wife wants to drive it and I always had to be with and coach her. Now I wont have that worry.

So far the fitech seems real nice. Granted its not as Self learning hands off as I thought it might be. And or it might be and it has not learned yet.  running it runs great ! I have made only a couple of tweeks and it does run great ! ... 
 starting is my only tweek I need to make now. Hot it fires up right away if I just turn the key right to start. If I wait for the prime cycle it fires right away but rpms are slightly slower and it has to run a second to smooth out. ( I can turn down the hot prime and clear this up)
 Just did my first 100% cold start and it cranked longer than I wanted. It did fire up and idle great. Im going to add fuel to the cold prime start to get it firing up quicker.   So yea you can see there are tweeks to do. The best part is it is VERY simple to do and only takes a second ! the tuner screen is easy to read and very simple to understand. Its also nice it has data logging.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »
Think I am jealous That sounds cool. Mine sounds the same when hot soaked. Cold is easy, a few pumps and keep it running with the throttle for a little bit. Immediate restart when hot it fires straight away. Let it sit for 15min plus and it can take up to probably 7ish seconds to fire while holding a little throttle. Always done this with multiple different carbs and initial settings. Annoys me.