Author Topic: Clutch Linkage  (Read 5568 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Clutch Linkage
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »
I am getting a few things bolted together in my car finally and today I decided to put the clutch linkage and z bar back in. I now have a Quick Time SFI bell for a toploader and a stock fork. I know others have mentioned fitment issues with the newer bells. I have not modified the length of the stock z bar. This is my current solution for alignment issue:

Any foreseeable issues with it? This is a piece of hardened 3/8" rod. I did not feel anything funny throughout pedal travel. seems firm and smooth.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

TomP

• View Profile
Re: Clutch Linkage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »
It might want to fold up if the clutch is stiff. The other thing it might do is try to kick the fork off the pivot as it will be pushing downward on it...despite the bend. I'd try it like that though.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 08:59:08 PM »
I like it as long as the rod stays where it is and doesn't flip over I'm not seeing any problem. Years and years ago a friend made me a clutch rod out of tool steel that I still use but to this day I'm not happy with the Z-bar and alignment with a Lakewood. Might have to redo something similar next winter.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 06:42:09 AM »
Is that z bar a Fairlane piece? I’m assuming you removed the factory pin to install the rod. The rod seems short, is that due to the window in that bell being higher than the stock location? I can’t tell from the pic. Could you fab the same piece out of 7/16” stock?
I know you are very good at engineering stuff.
JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 07:09:38 AM »
Looks fine to me.  Worst case, you could gusset or sleeve the bend to strengthen it.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 07:19:29 AM »
The bend is working against you, but if the material can hold the pressure from the clutch, certainly no issues.

If you start losing adjustment, you'll know it wasn't strong enough
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 07:52:08 AM »
A few years ago I ran into a problem where my z-bar was hitting my headers. It is a Crite's one piece z-bar. I laid it out on cad and wound up shortening the end of the z-bar and relocate the pin. I didn't notice any increase in pedal effort. Been fine for over 10 years.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 08:16:09 AM »
Looks fine to me.  Worst case, you could gusset or sleeve the bend to strengthen it.

As Brent noted, you do need to gusset it, sleeving would work too it one could match the contour.

I had a shifting problem with my '70 Mach 1 and thought my big feet (not that big btw) were not depressing the clutch enough. Although it was a bent clutch adjustment rod, not quite the same as yours, I was very surprised that over time, a not perfectly aligned 3/8's rod did in fact slowly bend, not allowing full cltuch release, to where I was crunching gears on the shifts.

Case in point: one can't have strong enough clutch linkage parts with our old school mechanical stuff.....even without killer pressure plate clamping numbers. 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:43:02 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:08:02 AM »
I don't think it'll try to flip, since the pressure is working towards the bend and not away from it. Being you used hardened steel, and as long as you didn't use heat to bend it, I think it'll work fine. Hardened steel is hard to bend. Did you use a "captured" design on the fork, or just poking through it?

And yes, Jared is pretty good at designing stuff and coming up with good ideas.

Glad to see you're making real progress on the car.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 07:20:20 PM »
Is that z bar a Fairlane piece? I’m assuming you removed the factory pin to install the rod.

Yessir on both.

The rod seems short, is that due to the window in that bell being higher than the stock location?

Window is a little lower than a stock bell...
Jared

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 07:23:40 PM »
A few years ago I ran into a problem where my z-bar was hitting my headers. It is a Crite's one piece z-bar. I laid it out on cad and wound up shortening the end of the z-bar and relocate the pin. I didn't notice any increase in pedal effort. Been fine for over 10 years.

Thank you for sharing. Looks like you put a little more time in yours than I did.  ;D
Jared

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 07:31:55 PM »
Case in point: one can't have strong enough clutch linkage parts with our old school mechanical stuff.....even without killer pressure plate clamping numbers. 

That's for sure... I have already gusseted the z bar as it was stress cracking from abuse over the years.

I don't think it'll try to flip, since the pressure is working towards the bend and not away from it. Being you used hardened steel, and as long as you didn't use heat to bend it, I think it'll work fine. Hardened steel is hard to bend. Did you use a "captured" design on the fork, or just poking through it?

And yes, Jared is pretty good at designing stuff and coming up with good ideas.

Glad to see you're making real progress on the car.

Thanks Doug! Your being way too kind. I don't think it'll flip either for the same reason. No, I didn't heat the rod, I just gave it a few tappy tap taps in the vice with the old swing press. I am using a locking flanged nut on the back side so the rod cannot pop out, if that's what you're asking... I am also using a return spring(not pictured) on the fork.
Jared

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 08:00:42 PM »
where is the oil ? doesn't look like mine , I try to keep it clean , but it is a battle .

bill_396

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »
I worried about the side load the misalignment would create so I lengthened my z-bar about 3/4". Don't know what the pedal pressure usually is with a twin disc but mine certainly requires a man size push now. Next time it's apart I might consider lengthening the z-bar on the top to counteract this.

Towd56

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »
Curious what type clutch you are running and what would be your total travel of clutch fork? The reason I ask is because I am in a similar situation and my clutch (a twin disk McLeod) specifically calls for no more than .500 of total travel of t/o bearing against pressure plate.