Author Topic: We are in the wrong hobby  (Read 4537 times)

FElony

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Re: We are in the wrong hobby
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »
Been following this build. I like it. I am a bit partial to Vics.  :)  I think they will need some suspension parts from ADTR.net. A guy on the Vic forum makes bolt-in brake/clutch pedal assemblies. Should be a fun ride. I have been wanting to swap a TR3650 into mine.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

FElony

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:30:15 PM »
Been following this build. I like it. I am a bit partial to Vics.  :)  I think they will need some suspension parts from ADTR.net. A guy on the Vic forum makes bolt-in brake/clutch pedal assemblies. Should be a fun ride. I have been wanting to swap a TR3650 into mine.

I have been struggling with the idea of putting a blower on mine. I have read where the Roush is too quiet and an underperformer in order to stay smog legal. I haven't looked into Whipple and VMP legalities. Of course, you have to add in headers and trans mods and stuff and pretty soon you've dropped 12k into the car. I'd like to put the car into the 13's N/A, but I'm not sure that can be done without driveability issues. Is there a "formula" for this in the forum?

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 09:35:12 PM »
I put the OBX stainless longtubes and 2 1/2" exhaust kit on mine. Got it for $700 off fleabay. I have a bone stock trans(4R70W) with 152k miles and intake, throttle body and injectors. 4.10 gear right now. Out of the box 93 tune from SCT. Car runs high 14's @ 93mph. Speed is there to break into the 13's. If I change the converter and do the J-mod to the trans, I think it could run very low 14's. I spent about a grand and picked up 100hp from stock. Mine is just a daily driver now. Got another project eating all my money......
Jared

FElony

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:54:24 PM »
I put the OBX stainless longtubes and 2 1/2" exhaust kit on mine. Got it for $700 off fleabay. I have a bone stock trans(4R70W) with 152k miles and intake, throttle body and injectors. 4.10 gear right now. Out of the box 93 tune from SCT. Car runs high 14's @ 93mph. Speed is there to break into the 13's. If I change the converter and do the J-mod to the trans, I think it could run very low 14's. I spent about a grand and picked up 100hp from stock. Mine is just a daily driver now. Got another project eating all my money......

The OBX kits I see on eBay are for 2V heads and in the 900+ range in price. Do the 3V's take a different kit?

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 10:49:12 PM »
The OBX kits I see on eBay are for 2V heads and in the 900+ range in price. Do the 3V's take a different kit?

I bought my exhaust about 2yrs ago. I'm not aware of any kits for a 3V. Yes, the 2, 3, and 4V's all have different exhaust ports/bolt patterns. Are you planning a swap? I would rather go with a 4.6 DOHC than a 3V. Headers are also readily available for the 4V. Not impressed with power potential of a 3V. I understand you can bolt 4V heads onto a 2V block with the ovious matching gaskets, timing cover, v/c's, and intake manifold. Marauders came factory with a 4.6 4V, making it a direct fit. All have the same frame/body structure. A 5.4 has a taller deck height and requires extra fitting. Intake manifold selection narrows. 
Jared

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
Low buck 5spd conversion of Crown Vic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnMK_-i4PE

Buddy and I talk about doing this to his '91 Merc.
Larry

FElony

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »

Are you planning a swap?

No, as I mentioned, looking at superchargers. I see an awful lot of hop-up videos for 3V's, Jared. Maybe not as good as a 4V, but doable for what I want. I don't see the point in a blower without adding headers, though. My '06 only has 82k with 278 idle hours, so no real reason to pitch that motor.

We'll see. Right now I am dealing with the ubiquitous peeling paint fiasco, and I need to find the correct carpet kit to replace the rubber floor in a Stone interior. And I have a preliminary design for much better sound system.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 07:17:23 PM »
If you want to add the blower, check out this bolt-in kit:

http://adtr.net/product/ford-crown-victoria/adtr-supercharger-system-2003-panthers/

I see they offer 5 speed swap kits now. Cool!

I can say, the headers and exhaust kit is noticeable on a mostly stock car. I could really tell a difference when I installed it. The manifolds choke pretty good and the four cats really suck too. My system(OBX) is catless.

Also, I have heard if you push these engines past 450hp, the powdered metal rods can turn back into a powder...I'm guessing rear wheel hp, I dunno.

Jared

FElony

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 09:55:39 PM »
My system(OBX) is catless.

I guess you don't have smog inspections. How does the PCM deal with no cats?

Also, I have heard if you push these engines past 450hp, the powdered metal rods can turn back into a powder...I'm guessing rear wheel hp, I dunno.

Shouldn't there be x amount of experience with this situation in the forum?

FElony

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »
I was thinking real hard about a new Bullitt Mustwang. Really hard. And now I see that the MT-82 trans and clutch are still substandard pieces of shit. Back to thinking about a T/A Challenger with a 6.4. Cuz moar low-end torque.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:31:05 PM by FElony »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 10:48:07 PM »
I haven't looked into Whipple and VMP LEGALITIES.

Who are you & what have you done with Felony?!

FElony

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 10:58:26 PM »
I haven't looked into Whipple and VMP LEGALITIES.

Who are you & what have you done with Felony?!

I put too much soy sauce on my Egg Fu Yung and turned into a pussy. Meow.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 11:00:12 PM »

No inspection for me. Pretty rural northern IL. Easy for the PCM. I used the SCT tuner and just turned off the rear O2's. I also turned off EGR and capped off the header. I was going to block off the EGR at the intake, but turns out there is a redundant MAP sensor integrated with it. If you remove/unplug it, the CEL comes on. So, for now the valve is there, just turned off. Speed limiter- off, raise rev limiter- check, shift firmness- check, 4.10 gear- check.

I don't have the x amount experience with that, yet........Car sees 6k on a almost daily basis. Never a problem. It's my winter beater too. Always leave it on the 93 tune. I just haven't pushed it that far yet to see a failure, so I'm relying on the everely honest internet to go by(minor sarcasm). Like some people scared of stock 390 rods. I ran them to 7k, no polished beams, and stock(original) bolts too.
Jared

FElony

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 11:20:33 PM »

No inspection for me. Pretty rural northern IL. Easy for the PCM. I used the SCT tuner and just turned off the rear O2's. I also turned off EGR and capped off the header. I was going to block off the EGR at the intake, but turns out there is a redundant MAP sensor integrated with it. If you remove/unplug it, the CEL comes on. So, for now the valve is there, just turned off. Speed limiter- off, raise rev limiter- check, shift firmness- check, 4.10 gear- check.

I don't have the x amount experience with that, yet........Car sees 6k on a almost daily basis. Never a problem. It's my winter beater too. Always leave it on the 93 tune. I just haven't pushed it that far yet to see a failure, so I'm relying on the everely honest internet to go by(minor sarcasm). Like some people scared of stock 390 rods. I ran them to 7k, no polished beams, and stock(original) bolts too.

I guess I need to spend some time in the CV forum and get some feedback from guys who have to stay smog legal. I'm not sure how much of what you have programmed will get discovered at inspection. I do have 4.10's in a box.