Author Topic: Progression Distributors  (Read 3786 times)

FElony

Progression Distributors
« on: March 08, 2020, 10:44:00 PM »
Anyone here try these? Looks neat. Not a fan of the built-in HEI look, but seems like a lot of adjustability. Feel free to insult me vociferously if this has been discussed within the last year. Warden gave me little online time.

https://progressionignition.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fford-fe-v8-hei-distributor

Edit: Aha, I found the regular cap version.  https://progressionignition.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fford-fe-v8-small-cap-distributor&page=2
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:50:18 PM by FElony »

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Progression Distributors
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 08:40:53 AM »
I was thinking this distributor is a great idea.  But on second though, I was thinking it has been about three years since I set up my distributor; advance rate, limit, vacuum advance, and initial.  Haven't touched it since.

No doubt doing everything digitally is super easy -well, easy to the point parameters can be adjusted, not that you'll do it right.  But after everything is set up, how do you continue to benefit from the technology?  You don't.  Maybe you do if you get a tank of bad gas and you can remap your distributor to cope with it.  I have gotten a tank of bad gas a total of ZERO times in nearly 50 years of driving.

I'm not afraid of technology, but I want to know the technology isn't going to crap out on me a day's drive from home.  In that regard, you can carry a spare set of points and condenser and put a failed points distributor back on the road.  Even with a Duraspark, you can carry a spare pickup and module.  I don't know on this one, though.  Maybe you just don't worry, be happy.  Just deal with life's problems as they come to you.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 08:51:11 AM »
They look good, similar appearance to the MSD Pro-Billet dist.  I didn't see any vac advance canisters on them; how would you electronically simulate the vac advance behavior? 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 09:21:50 AM »
They look good, similar appearance to the MSD Pro-Billet dist.  I didn't see any vac advance canisters on them; how would you electronically simulate the vac advance behavior?

The distributor has to use a MAP sensor.  It is a purely electronic distributor.  Seriously, if I were doing this, I would go full electronic and eliminate the distributor all together and just use a crank sensor with a cam sensor and have a computer drive coil-on-plug.  A cam-driven distributor with a rotor and cap is an anachronism.  This distributor is just one foot in the future, the other in the past.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:35:23 AM »
I think Gerry has it.  Big $$$, some nice features though.  Be a selection for a daily or mild performance deal.  Anything more, time to go coil-near-plug.  I run a crank trigger on the dragster, so the distributor just spins the oil pump and sends fire to a plug.  Only adjustment is rotor phase and I'd love to ditch that. 

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 10:29:24 AM »
I was just going to do this with our Cougar. Installing a Sniper on it, the Sniper has the same type of functionality with computer controlled timing.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/dual_sync_distributors/parts/565-205
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

FElony

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »
How about using it as a dyno dizzy to dial in numbers, and duplicating those settings on a standard distributor as each engine ships out?

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
Yeah, I was think that, but then the market shrinks to nearly nothing.

This distributor isn't a bad thing.  I'm not saying that.  Again, once you have found your ideal tune, you aren't going to be fiddling with it again until you make some change that requires further tuning.

Consumers spend a lot of money on things like this.  An easy one is those Fumoto oil drain plugs.  I see those are popular but wonder why?  Is it hard getting the oil drain plug out?  Is it too messy using a drain plug and the oil is getting into their mouth?  Are they changing their oil weekly and need that level of convenience?  For me, I see them as having a valve that could fail and an appendage hanging somewhere it shouldn't and being exposed to a well-placed rock hit.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 11:25:07 AM »

Consumers spend a lot of money on things like this.  An easy one is those Fumoto oil drain plugs.  I see those are popular but wonder why?  Is it hard getting the oil drain plug out?  Is it too messy using a drain plug and the oil is getting into their mouth?  Are they changing their oil weekly and need that level of convenience?  For me, I see them as having a valve that could fail and an appendage hanging somewhere it shouldn't and being exposed to a well-placed rock hit.

In certain applications its the best money Ive spent. Some drain plugs on heavy truck engines become damn near seized in place (C15's) then when you do get it broke loose then fumblerooskie the plug into the pan its a 1" diameter hole for hot oil to coat the shop floor right quick and in a hurry when changing buckets. With the valve simply shut it off switch your 5 gallon bucket out and turn it back on. I put one on my pickup (2003 7.3) as sometimes its a royal pain in the butt without a lift. Told myself the same thing "what a waste of money" I wouldn't go back now. But that's only one of my 5 trucks, they have their place.

FElony

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »
Yeah, I was think that, but then the market shrinks to nearly nothing.

This distributor isn't a bad thing.  I'm not saying that.  Again, once you have found your ideal tune, you aren't going to be fiddling with it again until you make some change that requires further tuning.

I live in a hot climate. My daily drivers ('05 F-150 and '06 CVPI) run fine most of the time on 87 and 89 octane, respectively. Once into the triple digits, I have to bump up a grade to retain performance. If the truck is towing in the heat, I have to use 91 or it will ping. So, even "modern" compu will not adjust for yearly temp cycles.

So let's look at an early truck as an example. Ambient temps from 40 to 120 degrees, cooling system efficiency, advance curve changes to accommodate for bed load and/or towing weight, et cetera all play a part. Personally I don't think there is a one-size fits all tune, unless it's so conservative that all-around power is lower than it could be. When I moved out here with an E-250, I had one tank with regular grade gas for the empty return trips, and one tank with premium with the inside loaded and a car/trailer out back.

High compression street car? Sometimes you got high-point gas, sometimes you got pump puke. How nice would it be to be able to change tuning on the fly as needed?

Yes, this piece is a tad pricey, but it beats the cost of a complete EFI system. You can still keep your points distributor in the trunk just in case. I would.

Just thinkin'.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
...When I moved out here with an E-250, I had one tank with regular grade gas for the empty return trips, and one tank with premium with the inside loaded and a car/trailer out back.

Things haven't changed much over the years.  Here's an excerpt from the '18 Super Duty owner's manual for gasser octane:

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 or regular unleaded gasoline blended with a maximum of 85% ethanol (E85).  ...For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.

I tend to tune for the fuel.  But I think most people do that.

FElony

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »
Well, you said you don't change your tune. If it's safe enough to run hot and under load, then I would say it's leaving hp on the proverbial table in better conditions, especially in adv curve and total. No?

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »
I have never heard of these. I suppose the advantage is timing control would be independent of rpm or vacuum, unlike a regular distributor.

FElony

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 01:25:20 PM »
I have never heard of these. I suppose the advantage is timing control would be independent of rpm or vacuum, unlike a regular distributor.

Here, check these out. I have not watched any yet. Post some opinions. I have errands to run right now, but I'll be back this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=progression+distributor

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 01:31:08 PM »
Well, you said you don't change your tune. If it's safe enough to run hot and under load, then I would say it's leaving hp on the proverbial table in better conditions, especially in adv curve and total. No?

I don't change my tune.  I'm not hiding anything.  I have no concern whatsoever that there's five horsepower I'm not getting from cold to hot weather.  Feel free to change the power loss to whatever you feel comfortable with.  Again, I'm more of a don't worry, be happy kind of person.