Author Topic: Looking For Opinions - Engine Bay Aesthetics  (Read 3829 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Opinions - Engine Bay Aesthetics
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »
Well, a "sissy" is many things, but anything that neuters a CJ in looks or power production is just plain wrong.  No pink wire looms, or glowing lights under the oil pan or frame for a couple.  Around here, there is another term or two, but "sissy" will have to suffice.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 10:23:16 AM »
I was in a conundrum of sorts as well.  When I started my build I learned in the concourse restoration direction.  I used factory iron heads and about the only major deviation was headers. I grew tired of every Shelby I saw with matte black everything.  I also wasn't overly enthralled with the lack-luster 355 HP 428.  I wound up going with a mix. While maintaining factory components I went with a lot of plating, got away from the iron heads and went aluminum. I restored things like the C7ZX intake and many of the original parts.  What got the shine was the engine itself. The wiring is all exact reproductions with all the OE part number tags. The interior and the trunk were done as well. I didn't like "dynamite sticks" I hated the way the brake lights sequenced when you stepped on the brakes.
I wound up wiring factory sequentials in. I like tasteful and shine.  The old adage: If it don't go, chrome it doesn't fit the car.  I showed the vehicle at two car shows on the same day week before last. I took a best of the show at one and my class at one and best of class in the second.  This is the first time I have ever taken the vehicle to a show. I have no intention of drag racing the car. However, I do like to run it a bit on occasion. I am still going easy on it being it has only a few hundred miles on it.
Because I actually drive my vehicle there were a few safety considerations made. Upgraded pads, shocks, sway bars and lowered control arms, total control springs  and larger rims so I could utilize modern tires. The original 15 X 7 ten spokes leave a lot to be desired in tire choices. I went with the 10 spoke 17 X 7 and 17 X 8 and they are tucked even with the 245  45 17 and 265 45 17 rears.
Even the period correct Traction masters are plated.
All can be changed back and there is no damage done to the vehicle to that would make the return to original too difficult.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »
I agree. Shot basecoat with Vintage clear and adjusted the hardner to control the gloss. It's very durable. Spray can paint doesn't cut it and doesn't clean up well.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 11:14:53 AM »
Good looking car there capt.  Don’t think I’ve seen it before.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 11:34:28 AM »
Capt Drew.
Thanks to the direction and assistance from many I was able to complete the vehicle to the standards you see. Despite still dealing with a few bugs it's complete and runs pretty damn healthy.
Thank you! I appreciate your time and contributions as well, Drew.
                                                                                                         -Keith

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
Wow, I appreciate the opinions in here!  Good stuff.  Sounds like I'm not going in a bad direction.

I was in a conundrum of sorts as well.  When I started my build I learned in the concourse restoration direction.  I used factory iron heads and about the only major deviation was headers. I grew tired of every Shelby I saw with matte black everything.  I also wasn't overly enthralled with the lack-luster 355 HP 428.  I wound up going with a mix. While maintaining factory components I went with a lot of plating, got away from the iron heads and went aluminum. I restored things like the C7ZX intake and many of the original parts.  What got the shine was the engine itself. The wiring is all exact reproductions with all the OE part number tags. The interior and the trunk were done as well. I didn't like "dynamite sticks" I hated the way the brake lights sequenced when you stepped on the brakes.
I wound up wiring factory sequentials in. I like tasteful and shine.  The old adage: If it don't go, chrome it doesn't fit the car.  I showed the vehicle at two car shows on the same day week before last. I took a best of the show at one and my class at one and best of class in the second.  This is the first time I have ever taken the vehicle to a show. I have no intention of drag racing the car. However, I do like to run it a bit on occasion. I am still going easy on it being it has only a few hundred miles on it.
Because I actually drive my vehicle there were a few safety considerations made. Upgraded pads, shocks, sway bars and lowered control arms, total control springs  and larger rims so I could utilize modern tires. The original 15 X 7 ten spokes leave a lot to be desired in tire choices. I went with the 10 spoke 17 X 7 and 17 X 8 and they are tucked even with the 245  45 17 and 265 45 17 rears.
Even the period correct Traction masters are plated.
All can be changed back and there is no damage done to the vehicle to that would make the return to original too difficult.

Sounds very similar...  I like chrome as a "tasteful" accent/detail.  I prefer polished to chrome, but as I'm finding with aluminum parts, it's too hard to keep them polished to a mirror without having some coating on top.  Anodizing cuts the shine, ceramic seems to work, but at that point why not just coat.   

Well, a "sissy" is many things, but anything that neuters a CJ in looks or power production is just plain wrong.  No pink wire looms, or glowing lights under the oil pan or frame for a couple.  Around here, there is another term or two, but "sissy" will have to suffice.  Joe-JDC

Agreed! 

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Come on now! You know you want LED lights under the car, candy lime green with big metal flake and a huge wing on the back with rubber band tires. LOL  I think we could even dig up and old JC Whitney catalog and find you some dingle balls and long shag for the dash! ...  Okay, bad mental image.  The only polished aluminum I have is the Edelbrock water pump. Chrome is so much easier as far as upkeep.

-Keith

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 01:39:23 PM »
Lol, don’t call me Capt.... I’m the chief, I work for a living :)

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
Lol, don’t call me Capt.... I’m the chief, I work for a living :)
Chief... Fair enough. I do most of the work too. I'm not turning the controls over to a low time first officer! lol

-Keith

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 04:14:53 PM »
Make it the way you want it i am doing a 69 r code power steering is gone has been a long time to make room for the big hooker headers.It was a auto now a 4 speed lime green color changed to black.Engine is done with edelbrock heads water pump and a holley intake carb will a be 3310 holley I have the stock stuff but thats not how i want it can all be put back stock some day if some one wants to.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:22:34 PM by wayne »

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 10:30:22 AM »
I've read all of the posts to this question and see that He's not making  the engine compartment truly original.
My question:  for a  Q code 69 Mustang what valve covers would there have been?
Richard

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
Depending on build date, chrome powered by Ford, or the finned cast aluminum.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
I've read all of the posts to this question and see that He's not making  the engine compartment truly original.
My question:  for a  Q code 69 Mustang what valve covers would there have been?
Richard

I still have the original Power By Ford valve covers... :)

The covers I plan on using on the new build will be polished or chromed "428 Snake" finned cast covers.