Author Topic: Roots supercharging a Ford FE?  (Read 47220 times)

fe66comet

Re: Roots supercharging a Ford FE?
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »
Maybe I should supercharge the N-600 truck I am looking at, that would give me a little tow go AY LOL.

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
I'm late to the party but what you propose is a valid path. I'm an engineer with Whipple Superchargers (and an FE guy) and we sell that formula all the time. Take a stock engine, add a supercharger of about half the engine displacement, run 8 psi or so boost, and you'll see about 1.5 the stock HP output.  The key is the intercooler and proper tuning.  Keep it cool, don't over rev it and you're engine will last as long as stock.  Just my $.02.

fe66comet

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:22 AM »
That was my thinking, why beat it to death when you do not have to.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:27 AM »
I'm late to the party but what you propose is a valid path. I'm an engineer with Whipple Superchargers (and an FE guy) and we sell that formula all the time. Take a stock engine, add a supercharger of about half the engine displacement, run 8 psi or so boost, and you'll see about 1.5 the stock HP output.  The key is the intercooler and proper tuning.  Keep it cool, don't over rev it and you're engine will last as long as stock.  Just my $.02.

Good to hear from real engineer!

I had planned long ago to run in Super Comp a true crate engine (gone through but with few parts changes, no porting, maybe a cam change) with a 6-71 at some 12-14 lbs. of boost. A 351 W (sorry) could easily do 600 RWHP in a 1550 lb. ready-to-run F.E.D., run after run, and turn  low 8.0's w/o a throttle stop.

Sorry I never did so!   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:13:17 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 08:07:30 AM »
BB-63, is there a Whipple kit for an FE as you described?  Got me thinking... 

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »
BruceS - Whipple doesn't have a "kit" per se for the FE's but we have "hot rod" kits that bolt up to 6-71 manifolds.  I haven't added one to my 390 yet because I'd like to go with port injection and most 6-71 manifolds don't have the injector bosses. I say most but quite honestly, the only one I know of is Whipple's new big block Chevy manifold (mostly marine application).  I'm working on something using Jay's adapter but it's still a tight squeeze.  If his adapter had injector bosses, it would be pretty easy.

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »
machoneman - Thanks. I'm a curious gear head first, and engineer second.  I find it's prudent to defer to those who have done and try to understand why rather than assume I know better because the sheep skin says so.  That's why I'm on this forum; lots of real experience from the members.  I look forward to the education!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:43 AM »
I'll bet that the high riser/tunnel port version of my intake adapter could be machined with injector bosses, because it is close to an inch taller right up by the valve cover rail.  It is a more expensive casting, but could be machined to fit a medium engine with no trouble, and the extra meat up by the valve cover rail could be used for the injector bosses.  I may be interested in taking that on as a special projects down the road a ways...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »
Good point. It's not a lot of space needed if the bosses are far enough outboard.  I want to aim the injector right at the back of the valve stem, so the further inboard I go, the steeper the angle I need for the injector.  That's what takes up the space.

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »
Wow welcome aboard.

its the belt drive that i would really have to do some head scratching to figure out.

fe66comet

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Adding bungs is a rather simple weld in deal so a standard adaptor I am sure would work. My other thought was two four barrel throttle body's. Or even adding the bung to the head and modifying valve covers and the head rail to allow room for the injector.

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »
fe66comet - I've tried to fit an injector port on the 13001 and 13002 adapters but I still break through into the machined portion on the head side of the adapter.  A weld in bung would interfere with the gasket face on the inlet side.  See the attached screenshot.  Jay's right, I'd need to use a thicker adapter.

fe66comet

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »
Just some thoughts, that is kinda why I was leaning toward a modified intake design that would place the injector in the area where the valve cover rail is. That would also require modified valve covers, along with quite a bit of welding and machine work. The plus side would be a one piece blower intake like the blue thunder could be used and the injectors would be to the sides of the blower housing rather than underneath to keep heat away from the injector.

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
True.  Another option might be placing the injectors inside the manifold but you'd have to open it up like the one in the link below.  I'm toying with the idea of making a port injected 6-71 style manifold for the FE.  Whipple just finished one for the big block Chevy (that's the one in the link) but has no plans to follow suit with Ford.  I've been given the OK to pursue it if I want.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=223

fe66comet

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
The one pictured if I am not wrong seems to point the injector inward? Not exactly optimum placement, that is the issue that I would guess steers most away from building a intake of that design.