Author Topic: Roots supercharging a Ford FE?  (Read 47216 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Roots supercharging a Ford FE?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »
Bob Maag

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:43 AM »
there is a reason why GM installed same long ago in buses and heavy trucks. Although both were  in low rpm diesel applications, the tremendous boost it gave at low rpms allowed what seemingly was too small of an engine to push some mighty big loads.

The dude that wrote that above is incorrect.
GM installed blowers on 2 stroke engines because they can't run without them.  RJP has it right.
I've worked on Detroit and EMD diesels forever...  they don't have intake valves, they have ports that are uncovered when the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke.  When the piston is at the bottom the 4 exhaust valves are opened and the blower pushes the exhaust out and the fresh air in.

On a slightly related note, what would be a fun project on a gas engine....
Detroit v92 series use both a blower and turbocharger.  The blower is for the engine at low rpms, when the engine speed and load increases it disengages the blower and just uses the turbo charger.  Would be cool to find a way to adapt that clutch and system to a car.  EMD 710's do this as well if I recall, tho the blower probably weights more than your car engine.

The blowers on the 645's I work with (btw if you like blower whine, these two engines humming along at 800rpms is awesome)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:16:29 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »
Yah, blowers are way cool 8)

Maybe we can talk Jay into adding say a 6-71 or 8-71 to one of his Cammers. Now that is going to have a absolutely killer look!  ;D   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:43:21 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

BH107

• View Profile
Overboard....
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
You don't have anything until you have it injected with 4 turbos and a supercharger!

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
there is a reason why GM installed same long ago in buses and heavy trucks. Although both were  in low rpm diesel applications, the tremendous boost it gave at low rpms allowed what seemingly was too small of an engine to push some mighty big loads.

The dude that wrote that above is a moron.
GM installed blowers on 2 stroke engines because they can't run without them.  Bob Maag has it right.
I've worked on Detroit and EMD diesels forever...  they don't have intake valves, they have ports that are uncovered when the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke.  When the piston is at the bottom the 4 exhaust valves are opened and the blower pushes the exhaust out and the fresh air in.

On a slightly related note, what would be a fun project on a gas engine....
Detroit v92 series use both a blower and turbocharger.  The blower is for the engine at low rpms, when the engine speed and load increases it disengages the blower and just uses the turbo charger.  Would be cool to find a way to adapt that clutch and system to a car.  EMD 710's do this as well if I recall, tho the blower probably weights more than your car engine.

The blowers on the 645's I work with (btw if you like blower whine, these two engines humming along at 800rpms is awesome)

Sorry to get offtopic,  I just hate magazine jackoffs spouting gospel when it's clear they've never worked anywhere near what they are speaking about.
First you call Bob Maag a moron as he is the one who made that statement you quoted then you say he has it right.....which is it? No need to call anyone a moron as I politely corrected him and he thanked me for it.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
edited for accuracy.  Thanks RJP for noticing my lack of reading comprehension.

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2014, 06:59:36 AM »
that's the best part of my screen name... i have an "i could be a moron" disclaimer in every post.
I doubt that boat needs compound turbos and a blower... but at-least they are plumbed correctly.
the one that would drive me more nuts is having 4 tiny parallel turbos.

fe66comet

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:13 AM »
Insane LOL my KABOOM statement still applies, to build such an engine under those pressures would take top fuel kind of parts. You would need a much better block than a FE has to offer.

Faron

• Dist Recurve Service l TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com
    • View Profile
Re: Roots supercharging a Ford FE?, Been There Doing That since 1987
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
671 Hampton on My 390 Raced for 20+ years + street Miles works great , Questions shoot away 

fe66comet

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »
The first automotive use that I can recollect was the 1938 Cord. Other than that it was used to boost HP in aircraft engines. Another super charched auto application was the Studabaker Hawk, both were for boosting compression. I think the Packard company had a version also.

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »
I thought the aircraft use wasn't so much for horsepower but to compensate for pressure differential at altitude.

Sort of like turbo normalized vs turbo charged.

fe66comet

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »
Weight was at a premium and they needed to carry more for bombs and guns, I have a 1930s Continental 90HP. It was offered either way, compression is only 6:1 so it was an easy swap.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »
The first automotive use that I can recollect was the 1938 Cord. Other than that it was used to boost HP in aircraft engines. Another super charched auto application was the Studabaker Hawk, both were for boosting compression. I think the Packard company had a version also.
Airplanes and studebaker was centrifugal supercharger. 57 ford also
I think Cord was a Mc Cullog centrifugal to
Mercedes SSK of the 20s was roots type blower.and Bentley,Alfa Romeo
Auto union,Bugatti and some other European Grand prix racers
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:00:37 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

fe66comet

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
Yup they sure were great cars, I saw a Cord at Carlisle as a kid and fell in love. That will never happen LOL

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 06:19:07 AM »
Is it bad that my unrealistic dream car is a gt-40 and my realistic dream car is the ford -gt (remake?)
Sigh...