Author Topic: Anyone have experience with "Blue Print Engines" (website listed in text)  (Read 1653 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
I am wondering if anyone knows specifically about what this engine shop has to offer?
https://blueprintengines.com/

Thanks for any and all comments.

pbf777

• View Profile
                                                                                                           :(    /    :P

Scott.

cleandan

• View Profile
pbf777, please elaborate on your reply....."Scott"
"Scott" does not mean much to me.....unless of course you need more power.....to which the reply is, "I'm givin it all she's got Sir"

Dumpling

• View Profile
Las Vegas Count Customs shill

Tommy-T

• View Profile
My brother has a Blueprintengines motor in his '64 Falcon. He likes it a lot.
They use them a lot on the Engine Masters program on the Motortrend channel.

pbf777

• View Profile
pbf777, please elaborate on your reply....."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  :(    /    :P  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Scott.

Aka. we've had a few of these engines come threw our shop over time, and although I'll admit they've gotten better, but still...................  :( / :P

And when they chose to promote their product on such 'made for T.V.' events, well, this doesn't make them any better!   ;)

Scott.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Same, see that name a lot on Engine Masters and Road Kill Garage.  When associated with "road kill" you know there's not a super high expectation. 

TurboChris

• View Profile
When I saw "Blueprint Engines" I remembered a thread on a mustang forum I saw earlier this year from a guy who bought a long block from them. When it arrived it was covered in corrosion. He a photos and everything. He sent it back and received another one. Same thing. Third one was ok. The customer service was ok they didn't fight him on anything. I searched but couldn't find it.

But I did see these

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/blueprint-engines-sbf/177456/page1/

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/blueprint-engines-are-a-mess.320190/

I also saw multiple posts from people who were happy with their engines so I'd dig deep and make sure you're comfortable before sending off your money. And.....I'd use a credit card just in case.

1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

machoneman

• View Profile
Sounds a bit like Jasper Engines (not sure if they are still in business, I hope not). Mis-matched cylinder heads, used steel rockers not even spot faced, worn/reused pistons (way too much clearance), re-used springs, retainers, pushrods, worn valve guides, etc. The list was endless from many sources yet they did on occasion take one back and shipped another. Still, all the work to install a crappy engine + dollars for oil, filters, gaskets + your free labor (!) only to take it all out again and await a hopefully good replacement.

Stick to a known engine builder with a good rep and avoid a lot of misery!
Bob Maag

pbf777

• View Profile
Sounds a bit like Jasper Engines

Please, did you have to ruin my day by bringing up that name!

Once we did an R & R of a "defect" engine, requested of us to do by them, and were assured a "replacement engine would be delivered, and all costs would be covered by them under their warranty program"; but it was probably something like eight or more months after the vehicle had left, and probably a dozen phone calls on our part, and we still hadn't been paid!    >:(

Another instance, a customer came into our shop to buy spark plugs for his S.B.F. powered car; he had two sets of four on the counter, but they were different numbers?  I said to him: "by the way, you have one set of 14mm and the other is the 18mm, are you sure that that is what you want"?  He says: "yeah, my "new" ("rebuilt") engine in his car used 14's on one side and 18's on the other!   :o   Must have been one of the earlier examples of a 'variable compression engine'!    ::)

And in another, a customer came by with his warranty-replacement "rebuilt" engine, to replace the "defective" example he had; and since this was the third replacement and he was getting tired of swapping engines including the costs not covered under the warrenty, he was asking if we could perhaps "check-it-out" before he went to all the work to swap-it-in?  Same story, two different cylinder heads (yep, 14's on one side and 18's on the other!) but when we did a leak-down test, and I realize that a new engine, sitting on a trailer, just picked-up from the auto parts store, might not provide the most accurate testing format, but when one side exhibits a 60+% leak-down rate!   :o

And yeah,  Jasper is still in business!   ???

Scott.

machoneman

• View Profile
Sounds a bit like Jasper Engines

Please, did you have to ruin my day by bringing up that name!

Once we did an R & R of a "defect" engine, requested of us to do by them, and were assured a "replacement engine would be delivered, and all costs would be covered by them under their warranty program"; but it was probably something like eight or more months after the vehicle had left, and probably a dozen phone calls on our part, and we still hadn't been paid!    >:(

Another instance, a customer came into our shop to buy spark plugs for his S.B.F. powered car; he had two sets of four on the counter, but they were different numbers?  I said to him: "by the way, you have one set of 14mm and the other is the 18mm, are you sure that that is what you want"?  He says: "yeah, my "new" ("rebuilt") engine in his car used 14's on one side and 18's on the other!   :o   Must have been one of the earlier examples of a 'variable compression engine'!    ::)

And in another, a customer came by with his warranty-replacement "rebuilt" engine, to replace the "defective" example he had; and since this was the third replacement and he was getting tired of swapping engines including the costs not covered under the warrenty, he was asking if we could perhaps "check-it-out" before he went to all the work to swap-it-in?  Same story, two different cylinder heads (yep, 14's on one side and 18's on the other!) but when we did a leak-down test, and I realize that a new engine, sitting on a trailer, just picked-up from the auto parts store, might not provide the most accurate testing format, but when one side exhibits a 60+% leak-down rate!   :o

And yeah,  Jasper is still in business!   ???

Scott.

Sorry to ruin your day Scott! Sad they are still in business. The two different heads with 2 sizes of plugs was a new one for me but lo and behold, nothing Jasper ever did surprises me. Btw, the story I told above dated back into the mid 1970's! One would think they would have gotten better (or a lot better) after 48 YEARS or their business would have failed long ago. Nope!
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
The latest Hot Rod Editor's Letter indicated that they are in process of doing a full article on Blue Print.   And in the past - 70s - as a parts counter guy, yea.  Those rebuilder engines are something.  I've seen .030 and .040 pistons in the same block. 

cleandan

• View Profile
Thanks for all the input...I really appreciate the information.

I have had my, less than enjoyable, experiences with Jasper Engines.....##@!!&&*%!!
This is why I am asking about Blueprint Engines....I don't want my lack of confidence in Jasper to accidentally get in the way of what could be a good company with good products.

Unfortunately it sounds like Blue Print Engines is much like Jasper....and that is not good for the end user of their engines.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 09:08:44 AM by cleandan »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
From watching several Engine Masters episodes, they - Hot Rod, et al - have used a lot of their engines with no particular problems and the Blue Print dyno sheets come close to what they run on the dyno as Westec Performance in CA.  The parts listed and discussions of them building/machining their own cylinder heads and such seem to indicate they are way more than a "Jasper" rebuilder.

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
Blue Print is at the Back to the 50’s with a large display and variety of engines.  If you want to chat with them they are west of Underwood on Wright street at the MN State Fairgrounds.
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain