Author Topic: fe rocker arm assembly  (Read 6270 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
fe rocker arm assembly
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »
Wondering about the choices available for kuntz prepaired edelbrock heads.  I know there are many and also many copy cats. Again its a strictly race engine,   titanium valves, solid roller cam,  7,200 - 7,600 rpm max depending on cam. Just wondering what some of you guys have used and liked. Of course $$$ jesel $$$ and T&D, but any other thoughts ? I have an old set of Harland sharp standard shaft diameter rockers but there pretty worn and seem soft. I have a nice set of erson that have hardly any use at all but as I understand they dis continued them and there are no parts available. . Just curious as to what you guys think. I'm assuming alot of you guys will lean toward the T&D set up either sportsman or the full race. Whatabout the stainless Shelby set up, anyone use those much ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: fe rocker arm assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
If you are at the level of TI valves and a solid roller you are at the level of the T&D race system.
Anything less will break at some point - could be a week, could be a year - but it WILL break.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:06:44 PM »

how about the Dove super heavy duty Set up that requires no head mods and allows to use the conventional oiling system ?
Anyone have any experience with these ?

This system uses 4 short and smaller Dia. shafts instead of the standard long shaft. It also attaches to all 5 Head bolts as well as the standard 4 attaching points, making it a total of 9 hold down points. The shafts are smaller in Dia. than stock to allow for a much stronger rocker arm to be used. This patented system uses a bridge assembly over the top of each pair of rockers. One pair can be removed at a time to service one cylinder or the complete assembly can be removed as one unit. The Super Heavy Duty Rocker System is the most stable and accurate valve control system ever. Oil is still provided from the original source so no need to oil through the push rods; saving precious weight in the valve train. NO MODIFICATIONS ARE NEEDED TO THE HEAD FOR THIS SYSTEM'S INSTALLATION OR USE. So, if you are looking at big lift & spring pressure or just want the best unit money can buy, this is it.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:09:13 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »
Reminds me of the Jomar girdle design. I still don't think it is out yet.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
I have only seen picts of the jomar. Seems that someone on the ford fe .com site actually had a set.
I like the idea of the 9 mounting points, no head mods, and standard oiling of the Dove set.  Now if its actually available and takes less than 18 months to get a set..
lol, sorry. I do like some of Dove's products and Jim is a good guy but back in 2002 it took 18 months to get a set of Canadian Cj heads..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »
Not sure if Dove is making rockers lately.
Pretty sure he used to make the Comp rockers and they have not been available for some time.
There is also POP rockers. He lists 700lbs open. I have never played with them though. Still only a 4 bolt system though.

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/fe-ford-roller-rocker-arms/

Another thread about rockers.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=2003.0

Have X2 what Barry said. Pretty much time for full bolt down at that level.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 11:01:13 PM »
As stated, your best bet is probably the T&D race setup. Although, depending how wild the cam/spring pressures are, the Ersons seem to be pretty good. I don't think I have really heard of any major failures with the Ersons. I agree, I have a set and when I put them on, the only drawback is that they do not make them anymore in case something were to happen. We have talked to Scorpion several times about the FE and they assured us they were developing some rockers. They were supposed to be ready by last Thanksgiving, but nothing. They didn't show at PRI, so we couldn't ask them about it. I asked them this year at the racing expo in St. Charles and they said that it did get put on the back burner because of some hemi stuff, but the guy assured me the rockers would be coming hopefully by spring/summer. Well, still waiting. ::)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:02:59 PM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 04:49:04 AM »
Race T&D, no doubt.

I actually have a lot of confidence/faith in the regular rocker bodies, but once you have pulled a rocker stud out of an aluminum head, you never want to do it again.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 05:39:01 AM »
I have a set of the Doves with the end stands, I got from a buddy. They are stamped Comp Cams , but I know he got them direct from Dove at the time. They have a special head bolt for the ends. As I remember some of the valve covers don`t fit with out mods on the covers themselves. Still a nice setup.

mike7570

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
I had a set of FPP rockers and shafts on my tunnel port for about 10yrs, not one problem. This was on a 9 sec super-gas car.
I ran them regularly over 7,000 on a flat tappet cam .653/.678 lift.
I think the POP rockers are the same?
Someone let me know if they're not, because I think that is what I'm going to use on my new 428.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 09:43:26 PM »
I had a set of FPP rockers and shafts on my tunnel port for about 10yrs, not one problem. This was on a 9 sec super-gas car.
I ran them regularly over 7,000 on a flat tappet cam .653/.678 lift.
I think the POP rockers are the same?
Someone let me know if they're not, because I think that is what I'm going to use on my new 428.

The POP are the same. From what I understand, Doug at POP designed the FPP rockers. The main difference I see between the FPP and the POP now is that the FPP had a small hole drilled above the roller tip to let oil drip onto it. The new POP has a pressurized oil hole from the shaft between the bushing halves directed to the roller tip. Also, I believe both share a pressure fed supply of oil to the pushrod cup through a hollow adjuster fed from between the bushing halves like the roller tip.
Jared

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 12:38:03 PM »
I personally would not rely on the four 3/8 studs to hold my rocker assemblies in place if my valve spring open pressures were anywhere north of 530 lbs or so. Even with Ti valves. Maybe Kuntz already did the mill work for a T&D subplate.... 
Kevin McCullah

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 01:40:27 PM »
No. He hasn't.  He ask if I wanted him to but I can take care of that myself and wanted to keep the cost down some so theres no since in paying for something I can do myself. He should be done with them next week... I'm anxious to get them back and make that decision and get them all back together. I'm leaning  towards the T&D but want to look at a few things first and think about an idea or two of my own..
thanks for all the input guys.. like always its good to bounce things off good people even if you already have your own ideas..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.