Author Topic: Dyno Mule to Test 351C Intakes on the Intake Adapter, Carb and EFI  (Read 82108 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Dyno Mule to Test 351C Intakes on the Intake Adapter, Carb and EFI
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
I apologize for taking so long to post this information; the dyno tests were completed over
a week ago, but its taken some time for me to get the data organized and written up.  But,
here it is.  I started a couple weeks ago with another Edelbrock Torker, this one sent up to
me by Joe Craine, that had a plenum divider welded in.  Joe got this intake in some kind of a
trade, and I assume that the plenum divider was an attempt to build low and midrange torque.
Here's a picture of the intake:

I ran the dyno tests and bottom line was that the plenum divider didn't help at the lower
engine speeds, but it gave up a lot at the higher speeds.  Here are the two dyno pulls showing
 the comparison between the stock Torker and the one with the plenum divider:

Obviously, on this engine the plenum divider was no help.

Our forum member Dumpling made the trip to my shop and brought two very interesting manifolds
to test.  One was the Bud Moore boxram, and the other was an Edelbrock Scorpion.  I was very
keen to test the boxram; I'd never even seen one in person and was looking forward to seeing
how it did on this engine.  There were two tops available to test this manifold with.  One
was the factory top for a 4150 series Holley carb, and the other was a custom top to fit a
Dominator carb.  We planned to test both.  After a quick cleanup we got the base of the intake
bolted onto the intake adapter.  Here's a picture:

All but two of the manifold attachment bolts are located INSIDE the manifold.  I made sure we
had good thread engagement on all of those LOL!  The original top had been modified to add a
plenum divider below the carb:

Since this was a high RPM manifold back in its day, I'm not sure what whoever did this was
trying to accomplish, but we were going to run it this way.  After getting all 16 bolts in
place to hold the top down, the engine looked like this:

NASCAR, here we come!  After installing my 1000 HP Holley carb, we ran the pulls.  Pretty
disappointing for such a cool old intake.  Peak HP was only 628, nearly 100 HP lower than
the best numbers from this engine.  Here is the low RPM data and high RPM data put together on
a single graph:

Hoping for better results, we swapped on the custom top with the Dominator flange.  But this
top was flat, and without the spacer built into the factory top, the shelf in the middle of the
manifold looked like it could actually impede the opening of the carb butterflies.  That is one
obvious issue with this intake; as soon as the air/fuel mix comes out of the carb, it has to
make an immediate, hard 90 degree turn to get to the runners.  Dumpling had brought a 1"
Super Sucker spacer to use with this top, so we installed that and bolted on the carb.  Here's
how the engine looked with this setup:

We ran the pull, and what a difference the carb made!  The engine picked up almost 40 HP
at peak, and was better all across the operating range with the Dominator carb.  Here's the
data for both carb setups, on the same graph:

Satisfied with our results from the boxram, we went ahead with the next intake, an Edelbrock
Scorpion.  This intake appears to be nothing more than a Torker, with a cast-in 1" open spacer. 
Here's a couple of pictures of this intake on the dyno:

With the 4150 carb, this intake behaved nearly identically to a standard Torker, making just over
700 horsepower.  It was down just a little across the RPM range, but not much.  Here's a graph
of the high RPM pull, with the standard Torker included:

Despite running a little short on time, we decided to install the Super Sucker 4150 to 4500 spacer,
and the 1150 Dominator carb.  This combination had made almost no difference on the standard
Torker, and that was what I was expecting here.  Once again though, I was surprised by the
result; the Scorpion picked up a lot on the top end, rivaling the performance of the Holley Strip
Dominator.  The graph below shows the Scorpion and Strip Dominator on the same graph; they are
really, really close:

Once again thanks to Dumpling for bringing up these very interesting manifolds to test.

After a break of a few days I got back to testing with a factory 351C D1ZX aluminum intake, sent to
me courtesy of our forum member mtburger.  This intake is set up from the factory with a
Dominator carb flange.  Some pictures are below:

Since it was already set up for the Dominator I didn't bother with the 4150 on this intake, and
just ran the 1150 Dominator.  First testing was with the carb bolted directly to the intake, and
this intake did very well, peaking at 703 HP.  After the initial tests I tried it with a 1" Super Sucker
spacer, and this picked up the manifold even more, about 5-10 HP across the upper RPM range.  The
graph below shows the results with and without the spacer:

Great performance from that intake.  Next I stuck the Offy tunnel ram back on the engine, so that
I could test it with the 4150 to 4500 Super Sucker spacer.  I was hoping for better results with
that combination than what I got with the plain spacer previously.  However, it turned out that
the engine liked this combination even less: 

This is the second time I've seen an engine not like the Super Sucker spacer; the last time I saw
this was on Royce's MEL engine, and it was also equipped with a single 4 tunnel ram.  I think that
for some reason, the Super Suckers don't work well in that configuration.

For my last test with carburetors (for now), I bolted on my 3D printed intake.  I was really looking
forward to this test, but also was quite concerned about air leaks.  There was no guarantee that
the 3D print was airtight, and in some places it was quite thin.  As a result I re-printed a couple
of the runner sections to make them a little thicker.  I also found some strands of plastic coming
loose inside the plenum, so I smeared some TA-31 over those to keep them in place.  I also took
the time to spray the outside of the intake with a couple heavy coats of black paint, to try to
give the intake every chance to seal. Here's a couple of pictures of the intake with the sealer and
also the paint on the outside:

After getting the intake as ready as possible, I bolted it on to the engine for a trial test.  For
carburetion I used the two 660 center squirter carbs that I had run on the Weiand tunnel ram at the
beginning of work on this dyno mule.  Holley makes an LS top that allows bolting on the two carbs;
here's a picture of the intake with the top, and also the complete setup bolted on the engine:

The moment of truth had arrived.  I started the engine, but it would only fire for a moment and then
it would quit.  I experimented for a while and did manage to keep it running at around 2500 RPM for
a few seconds, but vacuum was nonexistent and the engine was running super lean.  Obviously, I had
a severe vacuum leak, which was what I had been afraid of.  No way I could run the engine like this.

However, when I pulled the intake off the intake adapter, I found that the problem was different than
I had expected.  It turned out that when I tightened the plastic manifold down, the bottom of the
ports had curled up, so that I had no seal on the bottom half of the intake ports.  In fact, on one
port I measured a gap of nearly 1/8" between the plastic runner and the intake adapter.

At this point I went on to do the EFI manifolds, but after that I came back to the 3D printed intake
to try again.  This time I didn't tighten the plastic manifold down so much, and also used a thick
bead of TA-31 around the bottom of the ports to make it seal.  However, when I was done tightening
the intake I found that another problem had surfaced.  The runners of the intake are held to the
plenum with screws, and the plastic threads in the plenum were pulling out, allowing the plenum to
separate from the runners in several spots.  Again, an obvious potential vacuum leak.

The solution to this would have been to drill the attachment holes in the plenum all the way through,
and put a through bolt, like a small carriage bolt, through the plenum from the inside with a nut
on the outside.  This would have been a fairly time consuming project, though, and my friend Royce
had arrived with Honest Abe, his Lincoln Y-block for Engine Masters, and he needed to get the engine
on the dyno.  So, I ended up pulling the 504" dyno mule off the dyno without having had the opportunity
to test the 3D printed intake.  I will get the changes described above made so that I can test it
when the mule goes back on the pump.

So, backtracking just a bit, it was time after the first go-around with the 3D intake to test the
EFI intakes that Joe Craine had sent up for me.  These are two piece Trick Flow intakes for the
351C, one piece for the main runners and the other an interchangeable top. Joe was kind enough to include
both types of tops, one of which has very long runners built in, which I assume are designed to
generate lots of low end torque, and one which is basically an open plenum.  Joe also sent up a
couple of throttle bodies for the intakes, along with the fuel injection rails, so that
all I had to do was install the fuel injectors and the fuel system, and wire up the throttle bodies
into the EFI system.

The throttle bodies that Joe sent up were rather small I thought at 65mm and 75mm, and in addition
the throttle position sensor connectors were a type that I didn't have on hand.  So, rather than start
with those, I used one of my own throttle bodies, a 90mm Wilson that had a connector that worked
with my wiring harness.  After looking at these issues and deciding how to proceed, I got to work
installing the intake.  Here's a picture of the engine with the TFS base installed:

I decided to test the box style plenum first; here's a picture of it on the engine:

Royce B was up with his Engine Master's engine by this time, so he pitched in to help me with the
 dyno work.  Soon we started the engine and began tuning.  These were different fuel injectors
than the ones Marc H had brought for the previous EFI test, so we ran several pulls to dial in the
A/F curve with these injectors, and with this intake setup.  Once we had the A/F correct I ran both
the low RPM pull and high RPM pull back to back; they are shown together on the graph below:

Peak torque with this setup was excellent at 670 foot pounds, and average torque in the lower RPM
range was excellent.  But the torque curve was on a real roller coaster ride up to 4500 RPM. 
Horsepower was only just above 650 HP, but it was flat almost all the way to 6500 RPM.  Manifold
vacuum was up to an inch at the end of the pull, indicating that an even larger throttle body
would help the power output.  In light of that there was really no reason to test the smaller
throttle bodies.

Next we installed the long runner plenum.  Here's a picture of it assembled to the base and ready
to be installed on the engine.

Looking at this setup I was concerned that the torturous path that the air had to take would impact
the ability of this induction system to make good power, and it sure seemed that way from the dyno
results.  This intake was smoother at the lower engine speeds than the previous one but fell off
pretty dramatically at the top end.  Here's a picture of the low RPM pull and the high RPM pull from
this setup on the same graph, and then put together with both pulls from the box style plenum on
the following graph:

At least for this engine, the box style plenum seemed to be far superior. 

That pretty much covers all the dyno testing I'll be doing for a while on this particular mule.  I
have plans to do more testing in late fall or early winter, with a few more intakes, and will post
in this thread when those tests happen.  In the meantime, I have updated the table below with all
the results, and have also included some graphs showing all the intakes and how they performed in
the different parameter areas (Peak HP, Peak Torque, Avg HP 4500-6500, Avg Torque 4500-6500, Avg HP
3000-5000, and Avg Torque 3000-5000).  Hopefully this will allow someone with one of my intake
adapters to make a good manifold choice when running it on the engine.

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2017, 05:30:12 PM »
What happened with the 13006 intake adaptor/Edelbrock 2863 combo?
Not tested yet, it needs a porting job from Mr. Craine.  I will test it in a few months...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »
Wow, thanks for going to all that work and posting the information Jay. It was really fun (as always) to bench race, work and learn in your shop. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for your generosity/passion.
What struck me was how the Performer RPM jumped up the chart when you posted the 3 to 5K results.
I'm more and more convinced that it's the right manifold for my street Mustang. Also in an engine with only 440 inches I don't think it will be the cork that it was in your big engine. Really pumped about it.
Thank you.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »
That D1Z intake was damned impressive!!  The biggest surprise so far, in my opinion.
Still surprises me that the Weiand is at the top of that list. I guess that lesson goes clear back to the RamChargers though.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
What happened with the 13006 intake adaptor/Edelbrock 2863 combo?
Not tested yet, it needs a porting job from Mr. Craine.  I will test it in a few months...

Good deal! Was worried it slipped off the slate. I'm kicking around porting this combo for my 504. Depending on how it works on your 504  :)
Kevin McCullah

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2017, 10:00:28 PM »
Hilarious the the 46 year-old D1ZX intake holds it's own with the aftermarket stuff.

Funny also is the Weiand tunnel ram is maybe 5 years it's junior...and kicks ass. Maybe the '80's Pro Street guys cruising around the fairgrounds with T-Rams were onto something!

Old Fart manifolds for Old Fart motors.

Good stuff!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2017, 05:37:38 AM »
Thanks for all the testing, Jay. 

Helps us old Cleveland guys out too. 

Anyone have a D1ZX intake they'd like to sell?  :D
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2017, 06:03:33 AM »
Hilarious the the 46 year-old D1ZX intake holds it's own with the aftermarket stuff.

Funny also is the Weiand tunnel ram is maybe 5 years it's junior...and kicks ass. Maybe the '80's Pro Street guys cruising around the fairgrounds with T-Rams were onto something!

Old Fart manifolds for Old Fart motors.

Good stuff!

Your dyno testing is fabulous! I'm also amazed that DZ1X performed so well while my old fav, the Parker Funnelweb from a past test didn't. Guess it show looks aren't everything, eh?  ::)

I'd love to see JDC port that Scorpion intake and guess it might pick-up another 15 hp or so, making it superior to even the tunnel ram.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:06:42 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
Jay, a few quick questions after going back to refresh my memory on the long block for this engine...

Do you have any plans to double check the cams lobe events, or just do a quick check of the marks, to see if that adjustable cam gear has moved any? Just curious how well it's been holding up to the pressure.

At the horsepower level that the better intakes are making, do you think the 330 cfm rating of the head ports are holding it back any?

Lastly, with that aggressive of a cam, I'm wondering why you didn't double pin the cam gear? After seeing a couple engines where things went bad after the single pin sheared, it just seems like a good safety measure.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »
Doug, I don't have any plans to check the cam events, although I suppose that I could.  I am very confident that the timing gear set hasn't moved; FYI every belt drive timing set uses that six bolt arrangement to hold the two halves of the top gear in place, and they are also on a smaller bolt circle.  Those timing sets don't have any problem holding their setting, so I can't imagine there would be a problem with my timing set.  Maybe I'll check it just to show it hasn't moved before I get the engine back on the dyno again.

At least with the better performing intakes, I think the heads are indeed a bottleneck on this combination.  At 725 HP and 330 cfm, the engine is making 2.2 HP per cfm.  Pretty good for a motor that's not maxed out on compression and cam; cam lift is only 0.723, despite the fairly aggressive lobe profile.  I have a set of 360 cfm Blue Thunder medium risers that I'll bet would pick up 30 HP on this engine.

As far as double pinning the cam, some people like to do that but I've never found the need for it.  I use a single pin and a good ARP cam bolt torqued to 45 foot pounds, and that has worked well for me with the spring pressures I usually run.  On this engine the spring pressures are around 280 on the seat and 720 open.  I think if I went to a spring that was more along the lines of 850+ open I would double pin the cam...

Jay Brown

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2017, 06:33:51 PM »
Jay, I would suggest torquing those 7/16" ARP bolts in steel cams at 65-70 lbft.  You may have never had a failure this way but 45 won't really stretch a 7/16" bolt and you may be relying on threadlocker.  Think about an 8740 7/16" rod bolt and what they are torqued to.  3/8" bolts for SBF's usually torque at 45.

I agree on the cam gear pinning....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:57:16 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2017, 04:46:56 PM »
Interesting data from the testing.  Thanks for everything.  I just got back into town after an extended vacation courtesy of Hurricane Harvey on the cruise ship Carnival Breeze.  A week cruise extended to two weeks.  Carnival treated us great, kept us safe, and didn't charge us for the extra time onboard.  I am very glad to get home and find everything in great shape even with the broken limbs and leaves everywhere.  The truck did not get any water damage in Galveston, and now the only issue for me is finding a service station with gasoline for sale.  LOL   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
thanks for all the hard work , gives me some ideals for the adapter .

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »
After reading through this a couple of times, a few observations: 1.  It is obvious that the FE cubic inches is drawing hard on the single plane intakes, and that they are just about maxed out at the FE rpm limits, whereas on a Cleveland they come on strong above 4500-to-8000 rpm. 2.  The 70 Ford Cleveland intake did well on the FE because of the cubic inch difference, but was weak on anything but an all out race 351C.  3. The EFI intakes clearly need a larger throttle body for 504 cubic inches since they leveled out in the upper rpm ranges.(I have seen this when using 5.0 intakes on stroker 351Ws).  4.  I would like to port the Torker that I sent you and cut out the divider and send it back to see if it would match your Torker.   5.  The 351 style Parker Funnel Web needs to be ported to supply enough air for 504 cubic inches, and port matched to the adapter, and then it will surprise everyone with a big jump in both torque and horsepower.  Porting the Weiand Tunnel Ram and adapter will be a good match for the 2983 and Dominator.  Joe-JDC   
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:07:32 PM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »
3. The EFI intakes clearly need a larger throttle body for 504 cubic inches since they leveled out in the upper rpm ranges.(I have seen this when using 5.0 intakes on stroker 351Ws). 
Joe do you think that is because of to little throttle body or dual plane intake design (prolly both?). We had a 1k cfm body on there. Also may not have had large enough injectors for 504 inches (60 lbs) as those were my injectors for a 440 inch street motor.
Your comments make me curious about using Jays ported RPM with a larger throttle body and larger injectors. Assuming of course that it got changed to a port injected deal. ::) Hmm.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon