Author Topic: Cometic Gaskets Worth The Price's ?  (Read 4515 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Re: Cometic Gaskets Worth The Price's ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:22:22 AM »
Bump.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Cometic quality is always 'worth it'. May not be necessary for your application. For anything out-of-the-ordinary, their willingness to work with you is priceless.

KS

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 05:54:14 PM »
What do you mean by, necessary ?

What makes Cometic a better gasket ?
Almost twice the cost of most other brands too.

Versus like Felpro or Mahle Original Intake Manifold Gaskets MS15166X

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:36:59 PM by 427HISS »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »
'Good enough' is too likely to come back and bite you in the future. Having to R&R a manifold because a gasket let you down will cost way more than the $27 unless you don't value your time much.

KS

TorinoBP88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
Especially if you need a custom thickness!

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »

I think I would add "only" if you need a custom thickness.  Nothing at all against Cometic, great gaskets, but for a normal FE, almost any gasket that matches the ports, except my personal hatred for the standard 1247, does pretty well on an FE.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »

I think I would add "only" if you need a custom thickness.  Nothing at all against Cometic, great gaskets, but for a normal FE, almost any gasket that matches the ports, except my personal hatred for the standard 1247, does pretty well on an FE.
Ross, What is the std. 1247 gasket? That the Printo-seal or the common stock steel core gasket that is in most Fel-Pro rebuild/valve job gasket sets? And what is it you hate about them?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »

Ross, What is the std. 1247 gasket? That the Printo-seal or the common stock steel core gasket that is in most Fel-Pro rebuild/valve job gasket sets? And what is it you hate about them?

The 1247 is the Printoseal, and I don't like them because I have seen too many failures on that line of gaskets in both FEs and even worse,  FAR more 302s and late model 5.0s.  The bead seems to push through the material and then the gasket fails   It seems like they fail worse when used with alum/iron combos, or alum/alum than iron/iron.  The blue standard Felpros are an incredibly good gasket IMO, but on some med riser intakes they won't seal at the bottom

The reason I said standard 1247 is that Barry carries a 1247S (I think) which has a steel core, and I think he has had good luck for a long time with those, I have never tried them

Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »
Seems to me the steel cores solve any squishing problems.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
Fel Pro 1246 is for CJ, LR, ports, and 1247 if for MR size ports.  Certain types of anti-freeze seem to soften the Printo Seal gaskets around the water passages more than plain water.  I have had both good and bad luck with them sealing.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 03:36:24 PM »

The 1247 is the Printoseal, and I don't like them because I have seen too many failures on that line of gaskets in both FEs and even worse,  FAR more 302s and late model 5.0s.  The bead seems to push through the material and then the gasket fails   It seems like they fail worse when used with alum/iron combos, or alum/alum than iron/iron.  The blue standard Felpros are an incredibly good gasket IMO, but on some med riser intakes they won't seal at the bottom

The reason I said standard 1247 is that Barry carries a 1247S (I think) which has a steel core, and I think he has had good luck for a long time with those, I have never tried them
Ahhh, yes. I've had my share of Printo-Seal gasket failures as well...I asked because I don't pay much attention to numbers...

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »
Fel Pro 1246 is for CJ, LR, ports, and 1247 if for MR size ports.  Certain types of anti-freeze seem to soften the Printo Seal gaskets around the water passages more than plain water.  I have had both good and bad luck with them sealing.  Joe-JDC

With my Dove CJ heads, is their a particular gasket that fits best ?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »
You need to measure your port dimensions. 

If it is a CJ port, then the Mr Gasket 202As and the other medium riser gaskets don't work.  In that case the standard blue Felpro are hard to beat, you just need to hold them up to your intake manifold to make sure it'll seal to a lowriser port
Ross

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 10:48:05 PM »
Ok, thanks for the heads up.