Author Topic: Guess the tunnel port horsepower!  (Read 38495 times)

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
Re: Guess the tunnel port horsepower!
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »
SWAG: 675 hp, 590 lbs/ft.

I'll help you out on that SWAG.  With a fresh batch of VP it ran better with the single 1050 than it did at Jays on the MN 110.  E85 is oxygenated and significantly cools the intake charge.

I really wanted to try it, not for more hp but because it's cheap at the pump and is detonation resistant.

Try another SWAG.  lol.

chris_r

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 11:10:08 PM »
690 hp, 650 tq

JohnN-1BADFE

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
Hey Rob,

I understand you will be here in Colorado later this week to pick up your engine. I'll will be picking mine up as well from Blair.  Will you be here on Saturday?  That's when I'll be meeting Blair at Cooper's.
67 Fairlane GT - 390/451 stroker - 654HP / 552TQ

67 Fairlane S/W - 390/458 stroker with tri-power - 515HP / 595TQ

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:54 PM »
Yes sir.  I will see you sat.  Check your PM.  Where are you coming from?

JohnN-1BADFE

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 10:51:57 PM »
Got the PM.  I'm here in Littleton, Colorado about a little over an hour from Cooper's.

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 11:25:26 PM »
Now how about a guess on the E85 hp   lol

JohnN-1BADFE

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 11:30:28 PM »
697HP / 655TQ

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:34 AM »
Ok, so what were the numbers on E85?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »
I was just on the old forum and saw a link to this topic. Please note that Dove does cast aluminum TP heads and that they are available with two different Dove-design exhaust runner layouts. I did a series of articles for, if I remember properly, Mustang Illustrated Magazine, regarding the use of a set of these Dove heads with his 'type II' exhaust. With this design, the exhaust runners are raised, reshaped, and spread apart. We put this combination in Brother Lon's '67 Mustang.

It was necessary to remove the 'shock towers' and go to a coil-over lay-out in order to allow room for the required custom headers. That design made it possible to come straight off the heads, without any turn-down, for more than six inches. I have my copies of the articles in question somewhere in storage, so I can't give the flow figures from Wayne Kuchtyn's Superflow, but there was significantly greater flow available with the alternate design. I'm practically sure that the flow ratio was very close to 80%.

KS
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:56:50 AM by cammerfe »

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 12:31:57 AM »
Ok, so what were the numbers on E85?

Sorry I never posted that.  It was right at 695 @ 6400 rpm and 643 ft lbs @ 4800 with a single 4150 Holley built for E85

I was just on the old forum and saw a link to this topic. Please note that Dove does cast aluminum TP heads and that they are available with two different Dove-design exhaust runner layouts. I did a series of articles for, if I remember properly, Mustang Illustrated Magazine, regarding the use of a set of these Dove heads with his 'type II' exhaust. With this design, the exhaust runners are raised, reshaped, and spread apart. We put this combination in Brother Lon's '67 Mustang.

It was necessary to remove the 'shock towers' and go to a coil-over lay-out in order to allow room for the required custom headers. That deign made it possible to come straight off the heads, without any turn-down, for more than six inches. I have my copies of the articles in question somewhere in storage, so I can't give the flow figures from Wayne Kuchtyn's Superflow, but there was significantly greater flow available with the alternate design. I'm practically sure that the flow ratio was very close to 80%.

KS

Ken

We were aware of the Dove heads and specifically the ones with raised exhaust ports.

Dove = Porosity so I was in no hurry to jump into trying to find a "good" casting.

A couple other things kept me with the Iron heads.

1.  The E85 detonation resistance means the Iron is just fine.  also E85 is difficult to fire when cold so as an occasional drive heads that keep some heat in them should aid in eliviating that problem.

2. I like the idea of making hp with as many Ford parts as possible on my Ford engine.  The heads and intake on mine are Ford factory castings.  There is something cool about that, in my humble opinion.

Also considering the avg torque of 599 ft lbs from 4500 -7k and the accompanying hp average of 656 in the same rpm range do I need more for a car where the events I run in require 200 tw tires?  I'd say no.  This thing will be a handful on the roadcourse as it is.

40lbs less weight up front and some more hp may entice me into taking a Dove risk in the future but for now I'm just fine.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:33:42 PM by fetorino »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
Porosity is endemic with sand-cast aluminum, and also with die-cast for that matter. That's the reason that there was a large department at T&C Livonia to repair C-6 cases and why both Ford and Mercedes-Benz impregnate aluminum castings at present. Dove uses the same impregnation process and equipment as Ford and M-B and pressure-tests 100%. And if you intend to 'whittle' on one of Dove's offerings he'll be happy to do the  impregnation after the whittling. Proceeding in this way has resulted, for me, in a 'no issues' experience with Dove's stuff!

KS

hotrodfeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
Well the E-85 likes 14:1 in a perfect world.
I will guess add 45FT TQ and 20HP