Author Topic: "66"Cyclone GT Sloppy power steering has got to go!! I'd like to make changes.  (Read 1437 times)

Bob66GT

• View Profile
  I had been looking at going to a rack..  Now I'm looking into a Integral steering box to get rid of the slave cylinder..  Has anyone done this from ford parts?   I see like a "94" Crown Vic box is about $135.  Anyone know what might fit a 66 comet or Fairlane??  Any help  welcome .

superduty

• View Profile
Look into electric power steering. Several good youtube videos using Saturn, Prius and several other makes parts. It all
fits under the dash and won't leak a drop. If it quits working you keep going with manual steering. Uses a direct connection to steering box so no lash or lost motion.

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
I installed a Borgeson integral power steering box in my 66 Fairlane GTA.  Not a complete drop in replacement, but certainly much better than the slave cylinder factory steering.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

wayne

• View Profile
I am looking at electric for my mach 1 took the power off years ago to run 21/8 hooker headers.

GerryP

• View Profile
I certainly understand wanting to go with a different steering system and if that's your motivation then you should do fine.  I just want to point out that the divorced power steering is not sloppy from the factory.  It may be light and without tactile road feedback through the wheel, but the system is pretty tight and accurate if all the steering components are up to snuff.

amdscooter

• View Profile
I 86'd the power steering from my 67 Lane completely. With headers, fitment issues and the system nearly always leaking I'd simply had it. Ripped it all out and spent $150 on one of these:

https://www.autokrafters.com/p-10348-control-valve-eliminator-1966-70-ford-fairlane-1966-67-falcon-1967-70-mustang-more-power-to-manual-steering-rp27483.aspx

Never looked back. If you have low profile tires there will be few places you will miss power steering.