Author Topic: Project Junky Junk  (Read 37400 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Project Junky Junk
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
Frank, do some research. None of the engine builders here use Speedmaster parts, for a reason. The parent company, ProComp, produces the crappiest parts that exist and sells them under several generic names, or names that unscrupulous sellers will make up just to try and throw off the consumer as to who actually makes them. Anybody with some experience knows their parts are crap and that they have the worst reputation for quality. It only takes a little research to find this out. Companies like this prey on the unknowing.

Why anyone would suggest to buy the known cheapest parts, with a horrible reputation, then spend several hundred dollars just to try and verify that they might be ok, is beyond me.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2019, 11:38:08 AM »
Most Chinese knock-off parts are crude, heavy, or porous, or so light they move around with heat, and ugly replications of the good stuff.  I have had three Funnel Web 302W intakes in my hands just recently to try to find the best one.  A real one from Australia with the logo on the bottom of the intake, and two different knock-offs.  One was so crude that I refused to do anything with it.  The real Funnel Web flows over 370 cfm, and is a really neat manifold, but has thin bolt bosses.  Otherwise it is an exceptional intake for a high performance 302.  One of the knock off intakes is a very good copy, and it flows in the 330 cfm range.  I have had that intake for 13 years, and it cost me $150.00.  I thought it was real until I actually got a real one in my hands to compare.  The biggest difference was the logo on the bottom, and the placement of the logos on the runners.  Other than that, it looks nearly identical.  The last one was a piece of junk that is a recent version, and it has EFI bungs all in the wrong places.  Junk! I have done several SBC, and SBF intakes for folks that were cheap Summit/Pro Comp knock-off parts, and they are difficult to keep the burrs clean because the cast aluminum is just junk aluminum.   So, using Pro Comp, Speedmaster, or whatever Chinese knock-off parts is a risk at best IMO.  BTDT on too many intakes over the last 20 years.  Give me a good Edelbrock, Blue Thunder, or Buddy Bar any day.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2019, 10:55:11 AM »
A few minutes of degreeing this morning....

Comes in at 186° @ .050", 247 @ .006".  One lobe had .231" lobe lift....probably less worn than the other.  113 LSA, this one was in at 111.75 ICL. 

Valve events:

IVO:  21
IVC:  27
EVO:  25
EVC:  19

Probably high on the list of dumbest things I've ever done, but hey, in the spirit of collecting data....

Y'all see anything wrong with the timing set setup?

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2019, 11:14:25 AM »
Looks like an aluminum camshaft gear, with nylon teeth?  Missing teeth?  Also, the cam pin isn't trapped with the washer.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

68fecyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »
Looks like a new chain on original gears.  Rob
Edit realized probably done to degree accurately.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:25:39 AM by 68fecyclone »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »
The timing set is the one that was on it, nylon cam gear.  Chain wasn’t in bad shape.

Cam washer wasn’t covering dowel.  Ran like that for who knows how long.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
Top gear is on backwards. I guess it may work if they omitted the spacer. Kind of makes you question the quality of the rest of the work.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »
To me, it looks like the chain was recently replaced as the chain has no varnish on it and the sprocket looks like someone tried to clean it. Looks like they either put a new chain on the sprocket with a broken tooth or, giving the benefit of doubt, the tooth broke afterward.

When Ford first came out with those alum/nylon sprockets (long before roller chain came on the market), I though they where great. Less weight and I thought they would be more durable but after seeing how they shed teeth and taking them out of a oil pump, I wouldn't ever use them.
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2019, 01:46:37 PM »
To me, it looks like the chain was recently replaced as the chain has no varnish on it and the sprocket looks like someone tried to clean it. Looks like they either put a new chain on the sprocket with a broken tooth or, giving the benefit of doubt, the tooth broke afterward.

When Ford first came out with those alum/nylon sprockets (long before roller chain came on the market), I though they where great. Less weight and I thought they would be more durable but after seeing how they shed teeth and taking them out of a oil pump, I wouldn't ever use them.

That’s my guess too.  New chain, factory gears.

Eric, the cam gear is on correctly.  You can even see the alignment dot if you zoom in.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2019, 03:26:56 PM »
Waiting on UPS to show up, so I went ahead and stripped her all the way down. 

All original bearings from 1966.  Pretty cool.  Rod bearings were all down to copper.  Main bearings looked surprisingly good for 54 years of use.   Goes to show you how tough these things are.  It had 65 psi of oil pressure throughout all the dyno pulls.

All the pistons slid out of the bores without issue. 

Remember what she looked like.  The next picture of the block will be completely different.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2019, 08:42:03 PM »
Have you decided on the cam yet?

Have you ever used the Melling 24302 cam?
INT.   7 BTC / 43 ABC 230 @.050   39 BTC 85 ABC 304 @.006   107   .320 Cam   .554  1.73 HYD.
EXH. 45 BBC / 5 ATC 230 @ .050   77 BBC 47 ATC 304 @.006   111   .320 Cam   .554  1.73 HYD.
Frank

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2019, 11:20:09 PM »
Those nylon gears aren't as bad as some think.  They ran a ton of miles before they puked, and they cut down on harmonic transfer between the rotating parts and the valvetrain.  My dad used to by 9-key lower gears from the Ford counter.  We put those sets in everything we had.  Even the race engines, and never had a failure with the meanest springs and roller cams of the late '70s.  Sometime in the mid-80s we switched to double row "true roller" chains.  I still have a few of those oldies for my own stuff.  Not better, but not too bad, really.
Blair Patrick

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2019, 06:27:24 AM »
Have you decided on the cam yet?

Have you ever used the Melling 24302 cam?
INT.   7 BTC / 43 ABC 230 @.050   39 BTC 85 ABC 304 @.006   107   .320 Cam   .554  1.73 HYD.
EXH. 45 BBC / 5 ATC 230 @ .050   77 BBC 47 ATC 304 @.006   111   .320 Cam   .554  1.73 HYD.

Was gonna wait and post the cam card, but it may be a few weeks before it gets here since I'm having it nitrided.

280/288 advertised, 250/259 @ .050", .620"/.640" gross lift, 104 LSA, ground straight up.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »
That will get the "Ol Girl" up on her tip toes :)
Frank

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »
Target static compression ratio?
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86