Author Topic: Project Junky Junk  (Read 37401 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Junky Junk
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »
The oil crisis hit the USA in 1973, and gasoline was nearly impossible to find in places.  The price shot up and big engines were doomed at that time.  The performance cars sat on used car lots for pennies on the dollar, and new cars were anemic at best.  Edelbrock came out with a couple of stopgap intakes, such as the S2P2, and Streetmaster to try to get good mileage and torque.  I believe the Streetmaster was introduced around 1974-5 time frame, but can't be sure my memory is correct.  About the only performance intake was the Port O Sonic, and F-427 if you didn't have a Sidewinder, or TW.  Times were bleak for a few years for the FE.  PSE was a stop-gap, but expensive and hard to find.  I believe there is a casting date on the early manifolds.   Joe-JDC
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:15:28 PM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

67gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »
Brent just giving you a hard time for painting such a cool piece, if it isn't polished Ford blue is the way to go! Really enjoying the build - looking forward to hearing it run!

Joe, I bought my 68 fastback from a racer friend who wanted to go faster so he switched to a Fox body. His Dad was an engine builder and used dimples to achieve better torque and horsepower. He also stated that it helped prevent "fuel puddling" by keeping the air fuel mixture "broken up". Do you remember the Turtle inserts that Offenhauser made?? I always wondered if they would achieve the same effect in a big single plane..?? you could even dimple them..

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2020, 03:29:48 AM »
Joe, Was this dimples just made with a drill? What size, how deep?
I know in the 80s when i had Volvo B18-B20s Volvo competitions
Intake for a single standing Weber had "fins" in the bottom of the
plenum,Most others for the same carb had not. Volvos own intake
gave a noticeble difference on the butdyno ower the others

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2020, 07:55:25 AM »
I'm just really torn on how to make the engine look.  I would like a stock appearing build, but I'm also dealing with aluminum heads and an aftermarket intake. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2020, 12:26:18 PM »
Paint the heads and intake.  If you want to get fancy, fill in or grind off any identifying or offending brand names.  An untrained eye won't be able to tell the difference between stock and not stock. 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2020, 05:56:05 AM »
Slow going.

I'll be able to get a good jump on this one once the pistons show up. 

I got a really nice PI intake from Joe Craine.  If you're having trouble keeping up with my flakiness, I'm now using the factory C6AE-R heads.  The heads are getting baked/tumbled right now, then they will get new valve guides and new valves.  They will not be ported right now as I think I'd rather get a baseline then get the heads ported. 

Joe has ported this intake, and if I remember the numbers correctly, has been worked/balanced to flow about 350 cfm. 

So for this iteration, we'll have a 4.040" x 3.500" combo, with 10.7:1 Diamond pistons, 1mm ring pack, factory C6AE-R heads, a hydraulic roller, and this PI intake. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2020, 12:18:21 PM »
354 CFM average with smallish exit for stock C6AE-R/CJ heads.  Hated to see that one go.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
354 CFM average with smallish exit for stock C6AE-R/CJ heads.  Hated to see that one go.  Joe-JDC

Well we sure know you can make power with that intake Joe.  The one you did for me was a monster on the Trick Flow heads.  I predict the same for Brent's 352!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2020, 10:57:25 PM »
I wanted to mock up a head before I went any further to make sure the valves would clear on a 4.040" bore.

Got plenty of room before the valves hit the cylinder.  Valves may be a little shrouded but overall have a decent curtain.  Sooner or later I need to poop or get off the pot, been moving the goal post for a bit.

Brent, would you cut eyebrows into the top of the cylinder bore in this circumstance or do you see it as not beneficial in this type of build.
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2020, 05:07:41 AM »
You'd be fine without them and nothing hits anything else for a very long time.  Not to say that the valve isn't shrouded some, but there's no interference. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

FElony

« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »
So for this iteration, we'll have a 4.040" x 3.500" combo, with 10.7:1 Diamond pistons, 1mm ring pack, factory C6AE-R heads, a hydraulic roller, and this PI intake.

So whatcha gonna put it in, bahhhhrent?

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
After we play the Guess The Horsepower game, it will be offered for sale at a very attractive price. That's usually my weak point, but in this case I will forego the insatiable urge to purchase it only to give you, Mr. FElony, the opportunity of a lifetime to own this legendary 352 that you always wanted. Think of it as a delayed birthday present. You know, something you can't drink or smoke but makes you feel good the next day.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2020, 10:14:28 AM »
I'm keeping this one.....
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

FElony

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2020, 09:01:42 PM »
...You know, something you can't drink or smoke but makes you feel good the next day.

Speaking of which, I got a text that my old t t bar just reopened yesterday. Now that's a birthday present. Unless they got rid of lap dances. That would suck. Or not, actually. I digress.

FElony

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2020, 09:04:17 PM »
I'm keeping this one.....

Here's my challenge: I don't think I've ever seen a '62-'63 S33 Mercury with an FE swap. Same as Fairlane, so a Crites kit should work. Think about it, then hop on it. Be unique.