Author Topic: My mind is wandering - port vs throttle body EFI  (Read 9368 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: My mind is wandering - port vs throttle body EFI
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 08:37:24 AM »
The "self learning" EFI starts with a too rich base map for safety and leans itself out through time.  The FiTech computer allows for fine tuning for most parameters - I suspect most TBI retrofit systems offer the same.
Anyone who is unclear on why EFI trumps a carb on ANY engine needs only to drive their vehicle from sea level to 8000' of elevation without opening the hood.
So whats the problem with carbs at altitude? Jet change? Power valve change? Your statement is simply untrue. No hood needs to be lifted with a carb equipped car to correct for altitude. I have made countless trips over Tioga Pass, Ca. [alt. 9945'] in 3 different carb equipped cars and not once did I need to lift the hood to adjust for altitude. All 3 cars have 3310/780 Holleys and ran just fine. No puking black smoke, no loading up, no stumbling or flat spots, all ran fine. A carb will respond in kind to atmosphere or lack of as fuel delivery is directly related to the amount of air flowing thru the carb. Less air...less fuel, its that simple.

RJP is correct, carbs are not ham-fisted nor do they not sense the environment.  Changes in air mass change the the amount of fuel they provide, they do fine at higher elevations and any other changes in atmospheric pressure.  I have a buddy that tries to chase jets around for all kinds of things, and we finally put an O2 sensor and logged it for him.  Every time he changed jets, the a/f did what he did.  Bigger jets it got richer, smaller it got leaner, but he expected daily jet changes to MAINTAIN the proper a/f and it just didn't change based on weather or elevation LOL  Now we just hammer the car down the tracks and verify the a/f, nearly never a jet change.

Additionally, try not to go crazy about self learning being bad. Hand held systems take your inputs and set up the base maps.  Then after that, within the limits of what the human program writers allow, the system does little samples and determines how to get it to a pre-determined a/f mixture for the calculated load, temp and other inputs.  The program writers are smart enough to limit how much the system can correct, and more advanced EFI systems let you pick all kinds of things for a starting point as well as limit how far it learns, however, if you get to know your hand held, to some extent, you can manipulate your inputs to tweak the base maps. 

That being said, the shortfall with most hand held tuners is you just don't know what the guy did inside the program, so you don't know the starting point or limits. An example, what if you changed your setup input from 482 cid to 382 cid on the initial setup?  It would likely change the injector curve on the base map a lot, might help for a certain build, or maybe instead of 482 cid you put 476 cid, or lie about what the cam duration is, each would change the base tune, as well as correction capabilities, and might get you closer or may screw you up.  The issue is, you don't really know what is in there to start, with advanced systems you can see it on your laptop, and equally important, share base tunes by email with guys who have had success with similar combos

As a guy with 10 years of street EFI experience on a 489 FE, EFI vehicle repair since the 80s, and more to come.  My opinion is the benefits of EFI are VERY significant but not elevation related in and of itself: (and should be compared against cost)

1 - Cold start performance (both what you enjoy in the seat AND fuel mileage/a/f mixture)  It is night and day over the hatchet-like response of a choke or accel pump dousing a cold or cool motor, less so when hot. 
2 - Fuel under continuous pressure from source to injector, avoiding vapor lock and boiling of essentially the same fuel feed technology of your toilet
3 - The ability to readily link timing control to measured engine parameters
4 - Adjusting for temp and load changes
5 - Being able to modify/experiment without getting dirty or wearing out parts
6 - (likely lower than 6, just spitballing here) Tweaking for atmospheric pressure.

The truth is 1-3 completely change how your car feels to you on the street and is why guys dig EFI so much, the others are far less important as a reason to change

Now TB vs port injection....NASCAR has gone to a port injection where the injectors are way up high near the TB and it works great for atomization. That is very TB-like in the distance from the valve, so it isn't bad, although NASCAR still aims at a runner, not the plenum and injectors fire independently, what is more important than TB vs port is user interface.  Like I said, if I could adjust a TB like I can my SEFI, it would be awesome.  Sure, I cannot adjust injector timing at idle based on cam events with a batch fire TB system, and never can if it batch fires into a plenum, but that is only used at idle and likely not needed in 99% of the vehicles.

However, if I can see what I am starting with and what the computer is adjusting, AND control it, then I can do some good stuff.

The question lies how far from "normal" your build is, in most cases a wideband off the shelf TB works real well, but generally as guys learn, they want more control.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:49:19 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »
How about from zero altitude, cold ocean breeze and corrects to way below sea level and in a couple hours of driving getting to over 10,000 ft corrected, 7500ft actual altitude and over 100 degrees. There are places on the west coast you can do that and even late model factory EFI systems can struggle with that.

I'd like to try that. I assume factory EFI has gotten better, but the old GM L31 (SBC with Vortec heads and sort of port injection - i.e. GM's hack at it back in 98) only re-calibrated every couple of days, not in real time, so travelling from Calgary to Seattle I was guaranteed that it wouldn't fire on the second day.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
Cool Tom and Paul.
I'm unaware of the challenges of driving out west with my own cars.
I recall as a kid driving around out west up in the mountains and down to the Mexican border and don't recall any issues, but that was a long time ago.

Actaully, with EFI the only problem was less air = less power. I did the same trip with my C13 turbo diesel, no loss of power. May need to add a turbo to my FE.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
From San Francisco over the Donner Pass...
As much as I have loved being soaked in gasoline while tuning carbs for the last 30+ years, the ability to change fueling and timing from the drivers seat is mighty nice.  I have nothing against carbs, but I will take advantage of new technology.
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

stangbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Easy Clarification, don't put Self Learn systems on anything that has less than 10" of vac min. Don't put a self learning system on something with a cam lobe center of 106-110 generally it will have too much overlap and not enough vac. If someone wants to be successful with a self learning system they should be building a mild street engine with a mild cam that makes lots of engine vac and a good sealed exhaust. Cam lobe centers in the 112-116 being better, preferably the 114-116.

Again 427 is spot on..iM 62 been tuning carbs for 40 years im done.Once you make the jump you will never put a carb on anything.. As far as tune think of it like this.. if you can think of ot you can try it..Its a hot rodders wet dream..

Here are the downsides...$$$$$$$$.....And it can drive you crazy if you are a perfectionist....Like me.

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 11:13:36 PM »
Mine works great - 7" vac at idle.
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2017, 12:57:16 PM »
I'm in the process of putting together an EFI system for the 482 inch FE that I'm building for Car Craft. I'm going to use dual throttle bodies from FAST and then a FAST controller. I went with throttle body injection rather than port injection since I'm using a tunnel wedge intake and I didn't want to weld the bungs into that intake.

I think the throttle body approach will work just fine. We're going to run bank to bank and I bet the performance will be very close to what dual carbs will provide. Of course, EFI opens up the door to a ton of other benefits that are difficult if not impossible to accomplish with a carb and distributor. You can tune the fuel curve with a few keystrokes in EFI while tuning a fuel curve on a carb can require hours if not days of dyno work. And the ignition system can also be quickly tuned for start retard, high speed retard, vacuum advance, etc. If you have a distributor you have to buy a bunch of add on modules to get that stuff.

Data logging is another thing that comes with the higher end EFI systems as well as stuff like a digital dash. I just finished up a couple of days on the dyno with a big block Mopar engine where we tried different fuels, multiple ignition advance points, multiple AFR targets, etc. all in just a few hours of testing. There were three of us in the control room looking at screens and we could make changes and run a pull within just a few minutes. If you want to add or reduce timing by 1/2 degree you hit the key and it changes by that amount. No struggling with the distributor and timing light trying to figure out if you changed it by 1/2 degree or not. Same on the carb tuning. If you want to take 1/2 point of AFR out from peak torque to peak power you just enter the keystrokes. Try figuring out how to get a carb to lean out 1/2 point between peak torque and peak RPM! Very few carb guys in the country are capable of doing that and none of them can get it perfectly correct in 30 seconds!

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
Amen brother!
I'm running a Pertronix billet distributor with vacuum advance - but it's not connected to the FiTech EFI yet.  I'm also running a standard thermostat controlled electric fan with a smaller aux fan controlled by the EFI.  Point is, the EFI systems are flexible enough that it is not necessary to use them to control timing, or control fan activation, if those systems are dialed so the tuner can take it step by step on an already running engine.

Adam Dice

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 03:52:35 PM »
The "self learning" EFI starts with a too rich base map for safety and leans itself out through time.  The FiTech computer allows for fine tuning for most parameters - I suspect most TBI retrofit systems offer the same.
Anyone who is unclear on why EFI trumps a carb on ANY engine needs only to drive their vehicle from sea level to 8000' of elevation without opening the hood.
So whats the problem with carbs at altitude? Jet change? Power valve change? Your statement is simply untrue. No hood needs to be lifted with a carb equipped car to correct for altitude. I have made countless trips over Tioga Pass, Ca. [alt. 9945'] in 3 different carb equipped cars and not once did I need to lift the hood to adjust for altitude. All 3 cars have 3310/780 Holleys and ran just fine. No puking black smoke, no loading up, no stumbling or flat spots, all ran fine. A carb will respond in kind to atmosphere or lack of as fuel delivery is directly related to the amount of air flowing thru the carb. Less air...less fuel, its that simple.

My experience with carbs is that they are not that good at big changes in altitude.  If I take my Galaxie from Billings (3300' in elevation) up over the Beartooth Pass (10,947' in elevation) it definitely is a rich pig at the top.  Do I have to change jets to get over the top? No, but if I was to be in that elevation full time, I would definitely have to re-jet.  The same goes for dirt bikes, snowmobiles and everything else I have run in both low and high elevations and also at the temperature extremes.  Over a small elevation range (1,500 feet or so), it's not as big a deal.

Also, I am still getting some drive time on my Fitech on my 428 with a XE274 cam, but it seems to do fine with 9.5" of idle vacuum and cam lobe center in the 106-110 area.  The efi has definitely helped it to run a lot better in those areas just under the powerband of the cam.  I can cruise down the street in that 1500 to 2000 rpm range and it is plumb happy now.  I am definitely not anti-carb, but liking the efi so far. 

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
Easy Clarification, don't put Self Learn systems on anything that has less than 10" of vac min. Don't put a self learning system on something with a cam lobe center of 106-110 generally it will have too much overlap and not enough vac.

I thought that some of the self learning systems (FITECH for instance) had the ability to over ride and go open loop? No one seems to have mentioned this. While it wouldn't give you the control of a sequential port system I thought it would have made the tuning & operation of a low vacuum engine at least as good as a carb? The other thing I have not seen mentioned is the one thing you can't do with a carb, decel fuel cut off or lean out. On my engine at least (7" Hg) the 750DP has to be set up fairly rich at idle and transition. When I close those throttle blades on coast that idle circuit, set up for 7", is now seeing.....(not exactly sure but probably around 12"). That has to be pig rich in that situation. Living in a hilly area I do fair bit of downhill coasting.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 05:07:48 AM »
I haven't had an FITech or FAST TB system in my hands, but talking to FITech, I couldn't get a clear answer, but I do not think that they have an easy ability to command open loop when you want it on the TB systems.  The FAST laptop controlled Sportsman (which I hope to see inside one soon) and I presume anything driven by  Megasquirt can run in open loop when commanded, but I do not think most handheld TB systems allow you to say when
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 01:10:44 PM »

My experience with carbs is that they are not that good at big changes in altitude. If I take my Galaxie from Billings (3300' in elevation) up over the Beartooth Pass (10,947' in elevation) it definitely is a rich pig at the top. Do I have to change jets to get over the top? No, but if I was to be in that elevation full time, I would definitely have to re-jet.  The same goes for dirt bikes, snowmobiles and everything else I have run in both low and high elevations and also at the temperature extremes.  Over a small elevation range (1,500 feet or so), it's not as big a deal.

Also, I am still getting some drive time on my Fitech on my 428 with a XE274 cam, but it seems to do fine with 9.5" of idle vacuum and cam lobe center in the 106-110 area.  The efi has definitely helped it to run a lot better in those areas just under the powerband of the cam.  I can cruise down the street in that 1500 to 2000 rpm range and it is plumb happy now.  I am definitely not anti-carb, but liking the efi so far.
Is your Galaxie puking black smoke at altitude? Don't confuse lack of power with "pig rich", not the same. The only effect I see [feel] is lack of power at anything above 5-6000' elev. Defiantly a loss of power due to lack of atmospheric pressure but the carb will respond to that lack of atmospheric pressure because the air flow that produces the vacuum signal thru the carb venturis is reduced...Less vacuum, less fuel pulled thru the jets. A properly calibrated and tuned carb on a well tuned engine will "cruise down the street in that 1500 to 2000 rpm range" and be "plumb happy" as well. Am I knocking EFI? No, I think it is perfectly fine for those who embrace new technology and like the benefits of tuning with a laptop computer. I also believe EFI has its place in hotrodding. For me personally I like the simplicity of a carburetor knowing that if I'm in the middle of nowhere I can get a carb working with a few simple hand tools and not deal with the myriad of sensors and electronics EFIs usually need.

Adam Dice

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »
Rule of thumb is that you lose 3% power for every 1,000 feet of elevation that you gain.  Which means that you need 3% less fuel for every 1,000 feet of elevation that you gain.  However, your engine does not lose 3% vacuum for every 1,000 feet of elevation that you gain.  If it did, your self metering carb would make sense.  So when you gain a significant amount of elevation, you still have a fairly strong vacuum signal pulling on your carburetor.  However your fuel needs are significantly less.  Overall effect is your vehicle/snowmobile/dirt bike running significantly richer.  My Galaxie wouldn't blow black smoke (let's not get silly) but it definitely got that burble feeling that things get when they run overly rich.  We were getting to that scenario where I was worried that we were going to foul plugs.  And you couple loss of power due to elevation (roughly 67% of what you would have at sea level) with being overly rich from elevation, there is definitely a big loss of power. 
The inverse is also true.  Back in the carbureted snowmobile days (not that many years ago), there would be that group of guys that were chasing the last level of performance.  They would jet their sleds to run clean at 9,000 plus feet in elevation.  The parking lot area is at about 6,600 feet in elevation.  If they didn't mind their Ps and Qs or maybe run some half choke on the way out, some of them would burn their sleds up from being too lean.  Two-strokes are more sensitive to proper jetting than four-strokes.  I usually jetted for 7,000 foot elevation and would put up with being slightly rich at high elevation. 
Just before I bought an EFI sled, I added an altitude compensator so that I could ride both at my house and up in the mountains.  The altitude compensator utilized a difference between a stored atmospheric pressure versus the outside atmospheric pressure to determine what pressure to put to the vent line coming from the float bowl.  Similar concept to how a carburetor in an enclosed box in supercharger applications works. 
I'm just sharing from my personal experiences of running vehicles, snowmobiles and dirt bikes over a 8,000' elevation range.   

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »
I'm not being silly. Ever watch the old mechanical diesel Greyhound buses at altitude? They puke black smoke because a mechanical injection system does not know the engine is at altitude. They inject the same volume of fuel regardless of air density. A carb will deliver less fuel due to the less dense air passing thru the carb. If you don't believe me read what David Morrison of Pro-stock racers Reher-Morrison wrote about re-jetting for altitude when they raced at Denver or other high altitude tracks. Quote: "It is a misconception that you must lean out a carburetor at high altitude The fact is that a properly tuned engine will use the same jets in Denver as it does at sea level" He goes on to say: "In this age of digital everything carburetors have an undeserved reputation as a low tech device. In fact a racing carb.  is a very ingenious system. A carb responds to differential pressure and therefor it self-compensates for changes in barometric pressure. The gas in the floatbowl is always subject to the prevailing atmospheric pressure; the jets deliver fuel in proportion to the differential between the pressure in the float bowl and the pressure in the induction system. So when barometric pressure drops, as it does so dramatically in Denver, there is less pressure differential and therefore fuel flow is reduced accordingly." When races get down to the last couple of thousands of a second difference I'd say he knows what he is talking about so I'll take the word of a professional builder/tuner so well versed in tuning, racing and making power plus my own personal experiences traveling at high altitude. One misconception of yours that jumps out at me is you say at "a significant elevation you still have a fairly strong vacuum signal pulling on your carb"... Your vacuum signal is proportionally reduced at elevation. And yes, you can jet too lean no matter what altitude you are running at if you try.     

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
Not sure what David Reher was talking about there, racers definitely change the tune between Seattle and Denver. Rule of thumb is one jet size per 1000 ft of change in DA although opinions vary. There is a DA formula that racers use for jet changes. A change in altitude will change DA if everything else stays the same but sometimes you get bailed out since the temperature usually drops as the elevation increases. FAST uses something they call load indexed speed density to solve this issue. Rather than just looking at the static fuel maps they compare the ratio of MAP to BARO to know what is actually going on. If you start at sea level at 101 kPa and drive up a mountain and now you are at 90 kPa you haven't changed position on the fuel map although a static fuel table would say you have. So what FAST does is re-reference the fuel table to say that since you are on a mountain 90 kPa is the new 101 and everything shifts in reference.