Author Topic: FE Block Strength - Engine Block Stress Math Resource Question  (Read 18612 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: FE Block Strength - Engine Block Stress Math Resource Question
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
AS cool as it would be I ain't talking about some billet crank Cammer megadollar deal.

I'm thinking of a one step from stock 390 with forged slugs and a couple bolt ons.  Kinda like the kids are doing with LS, mod, and 5.0 stuff. Going after four digits with a turbo would be hilarious....  Probably won't get there but I wager we'd get way more than anybody would expect...  NOT OSHA approved for sure... 8)

Joe-jdc

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 08:49:22 PM »
If it is going to be real world, then it needs to be a 390 crankshaft, Scat/Eagle rods, forged pistons, good bearings, Edelbrock 2.09/1.655 with pocket porting, good springs, Victor with bungs, gasket matched, good ignition, front sump oil pan with windage tray, and at least a 2" header tube.  Better heads if you can't break it with this.  JMO, Joe-JDC.

BigNate

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
AS cool as it would be I ain't talking about some billet crank Cammer megadollar deal.

I'm thinking of a one step from stock 390 with forged slugs and a couple bolt ons.  Kinda like the kids are doing with LS, mod, and 5.0 stuff. Going after four digits with a turbo would be hilarious....  Probably won't get there but I wager we'd get way more than anybody would expect...  NOT OSHA approved for sure... 8)

I truly would not be terribly surprised if you were able to get to 10XX at the crank on a hard-blocked 390 under a turbo - especially if you take the right steps to reduce imbalance.  I went digging for an old thread that I remembered from theturboforums (formally TurboMustangs.com) regarding how far folks were getting on their stock 351W blocks.   I found it here : http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/dyno-results-and-track-times-forum/let's-see-those-stock-block-351w-turbo-combo's!!/  There is no doubt some bench racing going on here - but a number of the guys who posted are solid, long time members and racers.  This is one such entry...

351w .030 - DSS Pro XR max quench dish 30cc dish, 4340 h- beam rods, STOCK CRANK & no main girdle, no block filler!! F4TE block
AFR 205's - $30 head gaskets - never had problem!!
AMF B-451 cam - stock 200,000 mile lifters
Victor Jr. Intake
750 CSU - Kevin did a great job on the carb it looks Bling-bling 
S400 -75mm no race cover with 1.32ar - Thanks to www.turbodaves.com - Highly recommend him for any turbo purchase.
60mm wastegate - ebay wastegate
50mm BOV - of them (ebay BOV)
Powerglide with Edge - Pro series convertor
Magnafuel Pro Star 500
13202 Regulator
Dynojet WideBand Commanders
MSD Boost Launch Control
MSD 7531

60' - 1.329
330 - 3.576
mph - 100.65
1/8 - 5.458
mph - 128.26

And it still has more left

Car has been 1.2x on radials and has seen 129 in the 1/8th.  Car runs 5.4x on radials and 5.4x on slicks!!!  We all thing the car has 5.3x with current setup and if we change to a s480 we could dip in the .20 range if not more.  BTW we had 110+ passes on the motor this year before a lock busted and we dropped a valve!!  So currently we have to identical motors being built at the machine shop (same as listed above) - we already had the backup parts and this roller blocks are a dime a dozen down here in texas.

Don't we scared of the 351w roller blocks!! We have a few other guys down here running 5.7x or better on them (some for years) and turbostang had 300+ passes on his old motor at 700-800hp driving to the track and back with ac at 3300lbs running 5.9-6.1 - this is with stock 351w short block (crank, rods, trw pistons)
Arrrrg.... LOL  My sig line everywhere else is somewhat political... Will that get me kicked?