FE Power Forums > The Road to Drag Week 2012

April 29, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012

(1/4) > >>

jayb:
After some help last weekend I was able to get the Galaxie together for a test drive on Wednesday night.  Just went down the street a mile or so and turned around, but the car seemed to behave exactly the same as it always had, which is to say it ran and drove beautifully.  I needed tabs for it, and had to finish up with some minor details, and then of course Saturday it rained all day and I didn't want to go out for a shakedown cruise in that weather.  But today it was nice here in Minneapolis, so off I went.  Made the first trip to the gas station, then to the local car wash, and then came back home to give the car a good once over before going out again.  Here's a couple of photos of the car in the driveway:

Went out again and put 100 miles or so on the car, just driving around in the city and on the freeway, seeing how it behaved.  The car ran without a hitch, although I think I'll need to be doing a little further tuning on the EFI system to correct a few minor stumbles and flat spots at various points on the VE map. 

Feeling like the Galaxie was a reliable driver, I came back home and spent a couple hours cleaning up the shop, after the thrash of getting the SOHC together and back in the car.  Then I rolled the next "victim" out of the garage, and washed it off in preparation for pulling the engine:

The Mach 1 is now on the lift and I am trying to design an oil pan that will fit in the car and allow me to use the existing headers, which offer excellent ground clearance and are still 2 1/8" primary tubes.  I am also starting to draw up a bracket that will mount the Peterson oil pump on the lower right side of the engine compartment.  These two things have to be done before I can finish assembling the engine.  My pistons are on the way back from coating at Polydyn, so I should have those by the middle of this week.  Then all that is left is the balancing work, and I can start assembling the high riser.  I expect it to start going together by mid May, with a dyno session around the end of the month.  If all goes well, I'll be driving the Mach 1 in mid-June, and starting to assemble the big SOHC about that time.  Probably won't have the Shelby clone together until the end of July, by this schedule, but hopefully that will leave enough time to get in some track time for that car too.

It's going to be a fun year at Drag Week  8)

WConley:
Very nice Jay  8)

Good luck on Phase II of the DW project.

ToddK:
Jay, I love reading about your Drag Week adventures. I don't know how you find the time for all the work you are doing - it took me nearly 2 months just to do an intake and cam swap!!

I just wish I lived a little closer, I'm sure you could use another trunk monkey in one of you cars. :)

machoneman:
Go Jay, go....LOL!

Cyclone03:
Jay when was the last time you had 4 Hot Rods running at the same time. I'm assuming the GT still runs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version