Author Topic: Oil Accumulator  (Read 1732 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Oil Accumulator
« on: September 05, 2018, 01:12:32 PM »
Any pointers on installation for an accumulator? What are some of the different ways you guys have connected into the system, photos would be helpful too.

I have a 3QT Accusump, only reason I'm putting one in is for pre oiling I believe its taking to long to build oil pressure and I blame this on long turbo feed lines so figured an accumulator would be the most effective for this and general start up. Since I'm only really concerned with pre oiling can I get by with -4 line?  I do have one of those sandwich adapters used in FT applications for an air compressor I can use but it only has 1/4 npt supply also, that is if I'm looking at it correctly.

Standard pump with factory 4x4 pan

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Re: Oil Accumulator
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Any issue with taking this to 3/8? I believe that would be satisfactory for flow.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 10:11:38 PM »
I'd say no problem to open that up to 3/8 pipe, but I wouldn't go down to #4 line for the Accusump.  I'd run at least #8.  And as long as you have it, why not use it as it is designed?  They are a great way to safeguard your oiling system.  Use it to pre-oil, and also in normal operation.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »
I used a Mecca accumulator and an Oberg remote filter, tapped into a custom block a friend made for me. I used -10 SS line for the connections and mounted the Oberg and the Mecca to the Driver's side inner fender.

A suggestion---use an electric valve. I started with a quarter-turn hand valve to begin, but it's a MAJOR pain. My oil pressure gauge was also tapped into the block. I'd trip the valve switch, watch the gauge, and when the pressure hit 60 pounds, I'd push the starter button. With Holley EFI, the start was almost instant. Before you turn the engine off, rev the engine to raise the pressure, and turn the valve 'off'. Now you're ready for the next start.

KS

FordEver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
Accusump directions require #10, get the electric valve, hooked to a switch, i mounted  3 qt vertically between the shock tower and radiator support, with remote filters next to towers, close to originally oil adapter, 67 Fairlane. Directions say any position. Get the mounting clamps if possible, nice stuff.
Watched it oil the rockers before a cold startup. Also will hold pressure over the off season, extended use periods.
Use braided line kit to gauge, more accuate/safer/sometimes required, than plastic/copper.
Oil pressure always steady, accell/decell, HVP, many runs over several years.
Same as Cammerfe suggested.
We got to treat theses FE well !
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:16:39 AM by FordEver »

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:34:14 AM »
Jay that's the reason for enlarging the housing, I didn't like the -4 idea although would probably be fine for pre lube purposes. Looked like plenty of meat for 3/8 so that will help operation quite a bit compared to 1/4. I thought about making a block to sandwich between the block and adapter but changed my mind after enlarging the outlet size.

-6 is the minimum recommended size so if i use -8 line everywhere else then a -8 to 3/8 npt fitting at the adapter I believe it will work as intended. The biggest pain in the butt is all the oil lines I need. 2 for turbos 1 for gauge 1 for pressure switch and now 1 for accumulator. As a interim I had t's stacked on the adapter and I really disliked it, now with addition of the accumulator something else is needed. Thinking maybe a distribution block remote mounted, probably have to build one.

cammer, I have thought about the electric valve and may add one in the future. Think I have a good place to mount it next to the seat so maybe it won't be to bad. Also it comes with the cable operation if I need to mount it anywhere else, likely add an electric valve if that happens though.

FordEver, I did get the clamps, the cheaper ones. They look like they will work well. the cold startup and sitting for extended periods is the driving reason for getting one. With the added capacity of all the fittings and lines after the adapter head I know its draining back and causing extend time to build pressure. As witnessed last nite when I took everything apart, only thing that had oil in it was the filter everything else was basically dry/empty.. Had only been parked one day. Just wish I would have done it sooner.

Currently running 7 qts in stock 4x4 pan to account for the extra lines, for those more knowledgeable on oil levels does this sound about right? Obviously I will need to add more with the accumulator.