Author Topic: Question for Brent  (Read 1642 times)

Hipopinto

• View Profile
Question for Brent
« on: June 23, 2020, 05:49:45 AM »
Brent

I’m very curious about the second build you Posted

First I’m glad you chose a BBM block as I’m seriously thinking about buying one and it’s great to see them being used!!!

Second what is the max bore these can go to? The build started with a 4.350 Bore on a new block this is a different school of thought than I have been conditioned to believe! (Always told keep it as small as possible for more builds but I guess build it once build it right!)Is it for more displacement using a stock stroke? Or is it to un shroud the valves for head flow?

Third what do you mean by corrected and squared to 10.150 are the blocks left with room to adjust? Really stupid question is the 10.150 the stock deck height?

Fourth how strong are the BBM blocks? My crazy thought is to possibly fuel inject and turbo charge one in the future and are FE engines suitable for this? One of my favorite engines are the Lima 2.3 series and it amazes me how much power can be had by adding boost!

On a side  note My current project I’m building is a stroker 2.65 liter esslinger medium block with a billet esslinger crank, dyers top rods and CP pistons. The head I chose is a Volvo 16 valve interference head (the head physically bolts on with mods) the cams are reground to gain lift and make them turbo friendly. The turbo is a borg Warner EFR-9180 I have FID2000 injectors and I shooting for a power goal of 700-750 at the wheels at 40-45psi of boost on E-85 fuel

Can similar technologies be used on older style engines and make staggering power levels? It’s a question more than anything

That’s about it for now again I’m not questions any decisions I’m just wanting to understand for future projects on any series of engines as all types are different but much of the technical aspects can interchange

Thanks again for all your input And I’m basically Mentally logging all the info I gather as this kind of stuff keeps me sane!

Dave

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Question for Brent
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 06:05:37 AM »
Dave,

They can go over 4.400" bore size, but you're limited to what head gaskets you can use.   A 4.310" or 4.350" bore is pretty easy to get piston rings and gaskets to fit.  The blocks come with a 4.240" rough bore size and it's common to go 4.250" with them. 

The blocks come in ready to machine.  They are not ready out of the box.  This is nothing against BBM, but there are not any aftermarket blocks that ready to roll out of the crate.  Stock deck height is 10.170".  I automatically take them to 10.150" because sometimes the decks are off end to end and side to side, enough that it takes a good bit to make them flat, straight, and parallel to the crankshaft.  I've had to take a few a little under 10.150".  Mains will need to be finished as well. 

The BBM blocks are plenty strong.  I doubt you could hurt one.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 07:33:02 AM »
Brent

Thanks for the quick reply

This answered a ton of my questions

Dave

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 09:58:27 PM »
Hey Hipopinto---

I find your project car to be intensely interesting. I did a '72 Pinto, with the 2 litre engine  to a fairly high level, injected first and then went to a pair of DCOE Webers and all the other bolt on go fast goodies as well. When I did the short block I used Forged-True pistons and had Carl Holbrook do up a set of rods and balance the whole works. (Then I changed course and put a 466 SCJ engine in the Pinto, that I'd built for a short track car---but that's a different story.) I did an extended series of articles for Super Ford Magazine on reworking the 2.3 Turbo engine in my '79 Mustang. I love those earlier fours and would love to know more about yours.

KS

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 07:40:34 PM »
My current combo is a bone stock Bottom end 2.3 from A 1986 SVO

It has a ranger roller cam dry shot 100 hp nitrous

It runs a 12.7 now and it’s getting a better tune fairly soon!

The new engine is a “medium” deck height esslinger block with a reworked Volvo b234f 16 valve head

It has dyers top rods and Cp pistons it’s pretty strong on the bottom end

The turbo is a borg Warner Efr-9180 and I have fid 2000 injectors

It also has a custom intake and exhaust header

To seal it all up I had a set of fire rings built by atomic performance in Australia check out atomic performance fire rings on you tube that’s the kit

I’m hoping to have it all ready by next winter and get in In the car and be running!

I would like to see mid 9 seconds with that combo

If you have any more questions You can talk here or here janowski@windstream.net

Thanks
Dave