Author Topic: Ford vs Ferrari  (Read 10034 times)

garyv

• View Profile
Re: Ford vs Ferrari
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
Saw the movie on Dec. 3rd with my wife and we both thought it was really good.  If the movie is close to factual, Ken Miles was the man
that was able to get the GT40 to perform the way it needed to in order to win races.  Without him I'm not so sure they could have accomplished what they did.  Sad that he didn't live on to continue racing.  I thought his character made this movie. 

Does anyone know any of the history on the tunnel port engines in the LeMans races?  I know they came later on but really haven't been able to find a lot?

garyv

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »
Ken was killed testing the J Car , I recall reading somewhere years ago that is was with the just being developed Tunnel Port heads.

I read more recently I read that in investigating the circumstances of his crash another driver duplicated the same testing and the transmission locked up at the same point Ken went off but since he was expecting something he was able to save it.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
Just watched it yesterday.   It's was alright.  Had plenty of funny one liners in it, the crowd in the theater laughed. 

The car scenes "looked" realistic(for the general public).  I suppose better then back in the 60's with only a moving screen behind the car sitting still, but I guess I realize how fake it actually was and figure it might as well be done like the 60's?  I don't know.  Just my .02.

Larry

chris401

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2020, 12:34:17 AM »
Just watched it. Reminded me of reading the racing magazines when I was a boy.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »
I finally sat to watch the whole movie on DVD. IMO the movie was ok, but historically lacking. Don Frey was the lead engineer, Iaccoca put in charge of the program. Don Frey was the one who negotiated with Enzo. Enzo was ready to sell, but wanted control of the race team. Frey said that was the deal breaker. Henry had known Enzo since the early 50's. Don Frey was also responsible for the Mustang. Leo Beebe was made the bad guy in the movie. According to people who actually knew him and worked for him, Leo wasn't like the character in the movie.  I guess I should expect this as a movie usually isn't factual.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2020, 02:22:02 PM »
   Leo in his own words wasn't a "car guy" but since he wasn't , he was (IMHO) better on analysis and problem solving because of an impartial overview. He saw "situations" , focused on correcting them , and moving on to the next challenge. The amount of talent he had at his disposal meant he didn't have to be a mechanical engineer. He made them get what they needed to accomplish the "goal". More like a "git'r done" guy in a suit.
    Randy

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »
I watched it the other night and thought it was pretty good but then I'm no movie buff anyway. Historic stuff aside and I understand there needs to be personality and relationship scenes, I would have liked to seen more on the GT's being built. The car appears out of nowhere beside an airplane at a hanger. Bit too much fast and furious upshifting and downshifting for my taste as well. The GT can barely get past the Ferrari and minutes later he's made up an entire lap to come up beside them again. Oh well, just a movie and only cost me $6.00.