Author Topic: Advice for an FE Forum greenhorn  (Read 5044 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Advice for an FE Forum greenhorn
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
I tried to attach a pic of the stamping on the GT heads, but will get it figured out for next time.  I assume they are regular C6AE heads.  They do not read C6AE-R.  What does the isolated R and 6090R signify?  I also have a set of C8AE-H which I assume are nothing special?

Does anyone have experience with aftermarket heads and the 6113 headers?

Thanks for all of the help and input fellas.

I am pretty sure, if not 100% positive that the 6113 (and the Mustang version of 6114) are for CJ/early/aftermarket heads.  If you don't see a "U" or "R" you need to measure how low the floor of the port is.  If it's an R, which is just a unique head with a low riser intake port and low roof/high floor exhaust, then you are good.  If it's a U, then it's a small port intake and low exhaust port like your C8AE-H, won't fit the headers and gives up flow for no benefit

U vs R are just application differences and ways to get there, both are common, and likely the R is more common, and preferred
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »
6090 tells you it is a cylinderhead

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 01:48:37 PM »
Machine shop prices are all over so it's hard to say "this, that" for any particular situation.  Here, because there are almost no performance shops at all it is a better total investment to buy a kit with everything and then take your block in to get it prepped.  There's one shop left that grinds cranks and he doesn't do it very often.  Most others closed down/retired.  And the one good shop does mostly resto work and diesel repair - few people do their own thing anymore.  They go buy a crate motor. 

I spent $2400 on a 393C racing level kit  - name brand H beam rods, pistons, steel crank, rings, bearings, etc.  I already had a decked and bored block.  Sent they guy my black deck measure and requested deck clearance (.005) and all I needed to do was have the block honed out another .001.  Bolted it all in and made 575 HP with it.  The point being that working with a good vendor will get you parts that work right out of the box, vs running around getting this and that done, collecting parts, going back and paying to have it all balanced, etc. 

Heads are another thing - depends on the amount of work they need.  You quickly reach a tipping point where you are money and power generation ahead to just buy modern units.  Simple valve job/update, stocker level cam/springs, etc likely no problem.  You start to step up and you should be tossing every bit of OEM valve train equipment. 

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 10:25:40 PM »
What did you decide to do?
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

T U Bar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 11:10:35 AM »
To keep Kevin’s FE attorney at bay, I told the bride to book her dream trip to Hawaii as an anniversary present.  This sure seemed to soften the blow when we discussed the engine build LOL!  I’m not calculative enough to plan things that way, but hey, it worked...
Going with the 445 stroker kit, rpm intake (unless I stumble onto a Streetmaster per Jay), upgraded factory R heads (with CJ valves, POP’s end stands and spacers) and one of Brent’s magic hft cams. 
Doug

‘65 Fastback Mustang
‘66 Fairlane GT

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »
There is a Holley Street Dominator for sale on "Letgo" in Colorado for $250. According to Jay's research the Street Dominator and Streetmaster were pretty much the same, and needed the same work on the plenum and runner inlets.

You won't regret stroking it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:02:31 PM by Yellow Truck »
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

oldiron.fe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 02:10:12 PM »
To keep Kevin’s FE attorney at bay, I told the bride to book her dream trip to Hawaii as an anniversary present.  This sure seemed to soften the blow when we discussed the engine build LOL!  I’m not calculative enough to plan things that way, but hey, it worked...
Going with the 445 stroker kit, rpm intake (unless I stumble onto a Streetmaster per Jay), upgraded factory R heads (with CJ valves, POP’s end stands and spacers) and one of Brent’s magic hft cams.
66' Fairlanes 427 (08/26/67- present)
66/67' Fairlanes
70' Mustang Fastback
66' Dually

DubyaTF

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
, rpm intake (unless I stumble onto a Streetmaster per Jay), 

Contact Denny or Pam at www.aldridgemotorsportsinc.com. He's where I found my Streetmaster. He may have another in his stash. Super nice, decades of experience and wicked smart people!
Jeff

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 05:24:45 PM »
There’s at least 4 street master intakes on eBay right now, if I was a little more clever I would cut and paste the link, I just put 390 intake in the search, a couple of them look to be in great shape.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

T U Bar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 06:52:48 PM »
Thanks for your direction gentlemen.
Doug

‘65 Fastback Mustang
‘66 Fairlane GT