Author Topic: New Members - Introduce Yourselves Here!  (Read 226692 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: New Members - Introduce Yourselves Here!
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:22 AM »
Thanks for those intros, guys, its great stuff.  I had to bail out of cars myself from the late '80s, when I went back to college at age 30, until about 2003 when my kids got big enough so that I could leave them alone in the house and work on the cars in the garage, without having to worry about them burning down the house or killing each other LOL!  Wes, I know exactly what you mean by getting back to your roots with an FE powered car; that is exactly how I felt when I got back into the car hobby in 2003.  Like a missing piece of my life had returned...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2014, 01:13:03 AM »
Wes, I know exactly what you mean by getting back to your roots with an FE powered car; that is exactly how I felt when I got back into the car hobby in 2003.  Like a missing piece of my life had returned...

Very true Jay! I miss doing write up's... What works and find out other things dont work on the FE. I think the biggest thing is exactly like you said Jay. Part of my void will be filled again! The best part is having contact with everyone. Beside building a great FE, comes building great Friendships. Maybe I'm starting to become more sentimental in my older age now LOL 
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »
Hello all, I do believe Wes is right about filling a void.  My name is Len Zielinski, I'm 57 going on 18 (or so I've been told :)).  I would be the first to agree that life can get in the way of fun, reading the other intro's shows a common thread.  Grew up on a farm, learned to build what I needed there.  My first car was a '64 Fairlane model kit manufactured by AMT which I quickly optioned out as far as the plastic would take me.  I brush painted it with half-dried Testor's green, made a God-awful mess of it.  Pretty sure I literally cried, at least my older brother said I did.

My first real car was a '69 390 LTD, beat the snot out of it but never broke it.  I then went over to the dark side.  Had a string of Chevys, a 70 SS 396 Chevelle, a '57 coupe, '56 210 post and a '61 Impala Conv.  Shortly after I got the '61 life moved in on me and set up shop.  I worked days, built engines and painted cars in my garage nights.  Ever since I was 20 I've driven Ford trucks because I could convince everyone they were practical.  My favorite was my '74 F250 390 4 x 4 4 speed.  Rolled that over and rebuilt it too.  If you hit a tree just right while rolling the hood will crush down across the core support and hold your FE in place even if you've ripped out both motor mounts.  As a bonus, if the truck lands on it's right side the back glass is long gone and you can just walk right out ;)

I bought the '57 Custom Tudor I sold through this forum from Texas through my brother in 2005.  Figured I'd do like I always did, build my own.  I got nowhere as I found out I had less time than before (5 grandkids will slow ya down a might :P).  It was my brother who reminded me about what I really wanted, the '64 Fairlane without a hand brushed paint job and a 427 between the trimmed shock towers.  I set out to find one to build and found my '64 Galaxie instead.  Always liked the '64's and it reminded me of one I saw in a wheels up photo in Hot-Rod once a few years back.  Seeing the FE under the hood sealed it, I was going back to where I belonged all along, rod knock and all.

My wife sideswiped the car in our driveway last September, did $3,600 to her Escape.  The Galaxie only needs some left front fender work and a piece of stainless trim which I've already purchased.  I advised her that since I have to pull the fender I might as well contact Barry at Survival Motorsports to pick up a few critical components to address that pesky knock ::).

That brings me to date, I enjoy the forum and the expertise of the contributors is evident.  Look for me to chime in when I have something to say and to ask advice when I need it.  I intend to end up with a 447 thumper, can't think of an engine (or even another car for street fun) that I'd rather have.  Sorry this is so wordy, guess that's just me.

Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »
Glad to have you on here Len! Great minds think alike... FE's being one of them LOL
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
64 Falcon 428FE

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »
Thanks Wes, funny the roads life takes you down.  If you're lucky enough, you end up right where you belong.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
Thanks Wes, funny the roads life takes you down.  If you're lucky enough, you end up right where you belong.

LOL I truly feel that way! Lucky that is..... Your welcome Len!

Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
64 Falcon 428FE

abyars

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »
Thanks for adding me.  I bought my first FE in May of 2012.  We looked for a year to find a 60's or 70's crew cab truck to use daily for hauling the kids and to tow our camper on weekends.  We found a 1970 F250 in Phoenix and brought it home, went over the brakes etc. and put it on the road.  I grew up around a few different 70's Ford trucks and have owned 5 of them by the time I started college.  I sold my 1979 to buy a Toyota for gas mileage while driving to college.  My wife and I have restored a 1955 Chevrolet 4 door sedan 12 years ago.  I drove it daily until we bought the crew cab.

I don't have much to offer in the way of help but I'm soaking up all you guys share on this great site.  Hopefully I can help someone along the way.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:26:30 AM by abyars »
Anthony Byars
1970 Ford F250 Crew Cab 390 C6
1955 Chevrolet 4 door sedan
2004 Ford Expedition

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2014, 07:42:18 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm from the Hampton Roads area of tidewater VA.  A Canuck, born and schooled in in Nova Scotia, I've been fixated on cars since I was 8, when my dad brought home a brand-new 65 Impala SS 396 4-speed picked up directly off the Oshawa assembly line.

Come by my FE fascination honestly..when I was 14 my maternal grandfather taught me to drive in his 10-year old 61 TBird (390).  He loved that bullet Bird with a passion.  At 16, with a brand new drivers permit under my belt, my mother turned her rust-bucket 68 Meteor Montcalm 7-liter (think Canadian version of the Mercury Monterrey) over to me for the summer before she sold it.  Her theory was that money spent on gas wasn't spent on beer (and that sucker burned a lot of gas in the summer of '73, even at under a dollar a gallon there wasn't much left over for suds!).  The northern road salt sure killed the FOMOCOs of that era.

In the years before joining the navy in 1980 it was easy to pick up well-thrashed muscle cars for cheap.  I enjoyed  buying and selling (with one exception always at  a loss) a pretty eclectic mix, including a 69 Cougar CJ 428 4-speed that I picked up for $600, spent a winter slathering with bondo and paint, and sold for $1800 the following spring. Goodness I wish I had that one back to do properly today.

Spent 1980-1996 mostly at sea and focused on marriage, family etc.  Got back into the car hobby in 1996 with an 80 El Camino, modified for street/strip (bracket racing) duty -- I really wanted a 66-67 Ranchero but they were impossible to find on Canada's west coast at that time. Today the El Camino sits in a barn in Canada.

Came to Virginia in 2010 and bought the 67 Cyclone the following summer.  It was originally an H-code car, driven hard and put away wet near Petersburg VA.  In the last 2.5 years I've done the body and drive train, now with a mild 390 fitted with a Comp Extreme Energy 256, FPA tri-Ys,  a 4 barrel holley on a PI intake, and Pertonix HEI.  It's backed by a C6 and a 3:1 Traction-Loc 9-inch.  Intended use is as a highway cruiser transporting me to summertime nostalgia drag racing  and car show events.

I've found this site to be an invaluable resource -- thanks to all who've helped me with my questions and especially to Jay B for keeping the whole thing going. I really couldn't have progressed the Cyclone without it.  Of course, now I have serious 64 Galaxie big-block itch that's going to need scratching before I cross to the other side of the river!  My wife thanks you all for that.    ;)

Sorry for being so long-winded.  And looking forward to meeting some of you at Beaver Springs at the end of April.

Michael   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:18:13 PM by mlcraven »
Michael

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
Hello everyone!

Just introducing myself, as I'm brand new here, but have been on the FMF forum since around 2012. I'm in my late 50s (gulp that sounds weird to write) now, but in my 'last life' I was a Ford dealer parts manager from 1975-2000, (including a big move from PA to MN in there), then went 'rogue' and started selling f/t on eBay -which I still do. Like many of you, I've had many Fords going all the way back to the mid-70s, but then life intervenes, and, for a good while, I only had a daily driver. Finally in early 2011, wifey and I talked about getting a nice old car, and, after months of looking I wound up with the '64 Gal shown in my avatar. My innards were again at peace with the universe, lol.  ...and just as important, wifey likes the car too. ;)

In 2013 I found a local west metro cruising club called the 7-Hi Cruisers, and after our first full season with them, we have met and made many new friends, some of them even own a Ford, haha. Can't beat that I say!

I've got many proposed projects and upgrades I want to do so I'll be asking and/or lurking here as I go along. This forum looks like a great place to hang out ...I am looking forward to being a part of it! :)

Thanks for reading ! 

Norm 
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

1964 Galaxie 500  aka 'the blue goose'

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2014, 06:47:04 PM »
Welcome aboard, Norm.  Great car.  Are you still in Minnesota?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2014, 06:52:44 PM »
Hey Michael and Norm, great to read your intros, welcome aboard from a fellow lurker 8).  Michael, hope to see you in Beaver Springs. I have that itch scratcher out in my garage right now torn to pieces and I'm stuffing it with better pieces, I'll be a spectator this year.  Norm, can't hate your choice of Galaxies, we apparently share common interests :D.  As far as the late 50's go, I'm rollin' over to 58. Close?  The fun starts now.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »
Jeez, you '64 guys are swarming the place ;)

Seriously, nice to see you here, Norm and Michael.

In 2013 I found a local west metro cruising club called the 7-Hi Cruisers, and after our first full season with them, we have met and made many new friends, some of them even own a Ford, haha. Can't beat that I say!

Norm 

Norm, nice to hear you're enjoying driving the car. Sounds like a nice club you found. As much as I love working on my cars, nothing beats just going for a drive on a nice day. Me and the wife will hop in one on a weekend day, on a whim, and just see how lost we can get. We have a lot of fun just cruising country roads and going places the "long" way.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2014, 12:58:44 AM »
Thanks much for the welcome and compliment Jay!!  Yes, I live in St Louis Park.

The club I belong to hangs out at 7-Hi corners (Hwy 7 and 101 in Minnetonka) on Tuesdays .....and pretty much every Thursday night at Minnetonka Drive-in in Spring Park/Mound. That one can get rather 'lively', but us 'elders' all play it cool why the youngin's go smoke 'em up, haha. I'll post some pics of last summer's action ...or at least a link to it.
Welcome aboard, Norm.  Great car.  Are you still in Minnesota?
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2014, 01:44:21 AM »
Hiya Len ..and thanks for the welcome! I am weeks shy of my 57th, so then I'll be 57 + 1957, haha. I need to go find a 1957 Fairlane to celebrate- bwahaha. I agree about the fun - and your choice of Gals. ;)

Thanks again!     Norm

Hey Michael and Norm, great to read your intros, welcome aboard from a fellow lurker 8).    Norm, can't hate your choice of Galaxies, we apparently share common interests :D.  As far as the late 50's go, I'm rollin' over to 58. Close?  The fun starts now.
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »
Haha!  Usually at the cruise meets I'm but one of two '64s there, so it's nice to be 'swarmy' someplace, lol. ;)

I agree about the drive ......we've gone a ways just to have a couple $1 cones at DQ, and when too many folks start ogling, we scurry back in the Gal, fire it up and off to another place, or a windy road (if one can find one of those here, haha).

The only problem with that lovely visual is; We need a 'heated town' here ...... like a heated garage only larger, lol. Jay knows what I mean ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome, and happy motoring!   Norm

Jeez, you '64 guys are swarming the place ;)

Seriously, nice to see you here, Norm and Michael.

Norm, nice to hear you're enjoying driving the car. Sounds like a nice club you found. As much as I love working on my cars, nothing beats just going for a drive on a nice day. Me and the wife will hop in one on a weekend day, on a whim, and just see how lost we can get. We have a lot of fun just cruising country roads and going places the "long" way.
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie