Author Topic: Oil Pump Dyno  (Read 39685 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Oil Pump Dyno
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »
OK so now you are going into either A" Using a good sharp Katana so take the life out of a cow or
B: Using a good sharp Katana to cleave the hooves from said cow...
Or both I guess.
Which begs the Question , Did it have to be a cow and not a bull ?

I guess its safe with a bull ;D....

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2021, 01:51:53 PM »
Oh - Heo, Let's hope the cows aren't reading this Forum!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bill i almost got killed by a cow once. So maybe they know. It had escaped and me and dad catch ed it and wrestled it down
and while i held it by the horns my dad was to put on the "harness" on the head of it when i slipped in the mud
and it felt i let of the grip so it raised from the ground headbutted me to the ground, me holding the horns, and it put its weight on my chest i heard the ribs snap crackle and pop. Dad found a screwdriver in his pocket that he stabbed the cow behind the ear with to make it let go of me. there was tracks in the mud where the cow had dragged me around , several ribs broken and a dead cow

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 02:16:20 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2021, 01:54:29 PM »
I'm only familiar with the vane pump, because for 2 years (64-65),  I was a automatic trans mechanic, before I got drafted.

They are a good simple pump and were used in the original Hydromatic and the horrible Jetway, dual coupling, piece of crap.

I have always like the Hydro and with small changes, they used it in the 2 1/2 ton Army truck, behind 302-6's. B&M also became famous with it.

I looked up the variable displacement oil pumps and it seems pretty simple, the pressure works against a spring, moving the vane housing and reducing the offset that causes the displacement differential.

I think they are a good style pump. Diffidently not a new design and very reliable.

Frank

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2021, 02:13:44 PM »
Safe to say that now the FE forum is squarely in the cross hairs of PETA , I sure hope Pamela Anderson isnt reading this thread.....

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »
To be fair , thats a Bull , we arent clear on if they are safe or not.....

Big udder and tits on that 'bull'

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2021, 03:14:41 PM »
1. Inlet shape of the pickup tube bell.  A vortex forms at the entry which can entrain air into the oil.

There is probably something significant to that comment.
A lot of (most?) aftermarket oil pickups seem to use a square or rectangular inlet and sometimes use a piece of perforated sheet metal instead of a screen.  Yet I cannot remember ever seeing an OEM pickup as being anything other than round with a fairly open mesh screen.
Do you think there is any difference in how the tube enters the pickup screen ie from the top like the earlier FE's including the 427 or from the side like most of the later FE's?Since most of the top entry entry tubes extend nearly to the screen I can't imagine there would be much effect like a funnel,the side entry tubes I've seen with both straight cut and slash cut ends,I would think the slash cut would be better but that's just speculation.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2021, 03:21:07 PM »

Sounds to me like Mr. Bill needs to get his tuckus to work on an oil pump pickup test fixture

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2021, 03:28:34 PM »
Barry - Any other ideas on how to spend my money LOL??!!  You don't want to compete with my wife...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »

Must be one of those modern, trans gender, bulls!  Maybe it's why one horn drops down?

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2021, 04:43:25 PM »
I guess they have pills for that now.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2021, 04:50:01 PM »

Must be one of those modern, trans gender, bulls!  Maybe it's why one horn drops down?

You liable to find "herm" in male, female or family toilet.
Woody

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2021, 05:03:25 PM »

If that is a bull it has some interesting  “parts”.
Lance H

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2021, 06:03:41 PM »
Getting to to oil pumps, when I was playing with 272-312 Ford Y Blocks 50 ish years ago, I seem to recall the earlier Y blocks used a oil pump with GM style straight spur gears, and the gear driven by the distributor, had a round  stub on the bottom that fit into a hole in the thick cast iron lower cover. Around 1957, I believe, Ford switched to a gerotor style oil pump, with a thin, flat steel plate, like the FE, small block, and other Ford pushrod engines for decades afterwards, and no more lower support stub. I wonder if the engineers considered the gerotor pump more efficient, or if it was for reduced noise, since the Y Block oil pumps were mounted on the outside of the engine, at the rear, not far from the firewall.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Henrysnephew

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »
Here's a link from 2016 on the other forum, wherein I posted pics of my "oddball" straight gear FE pump.  Eventually "Pumpbuilder" Doug weighed in to i.d. it as an early TRW hi-volume effort and it utilized the gears and cover from the Y-block.  Unfortunately the pics are no longer viewable (damned Photobucket).  Randy M
 https://www.fordfe.com/viewtopic.php?f=74182&t=106861&p=985887&hilit=trw+oil+pump#p985887

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
Getting to to oil pumps,.............. I wonder if the engineers considered the gerotor pump more efficient, .....................

In most of the considered important by the O.E.M. responsibilities of pumping, yes!     :)

Scott.