Author Topic: Oil Pump Dyno  (Read 39684 times)

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Oil Pump Dyno
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2021, 09:00:59 PM »

[
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:06:42 PM by pbf777 »

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2021, 11:28:26 PM »
There is indeed one unused hole that could be used to register the thing but not much else thats reliable. Pinning would of course make them unique unless a fixture was made  . I have a huge hunk of cover sitting here now I just have to make a drill guide on the lathe for the center hole then decide on making the new rotor shaft all the same OD or make the bottom larger so when the rotor is pressed down it stops at the desired depth. . This one of course will get its four holes punched in to match the cover I have and then bolted down and the center hole for the shaft bored.
I take it the consensus on cover clearance for the rotor is just shy of touching ?
Its still a bit rough... But it will smooth out
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:32:43 PM by Blueoval77 »

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2021, 02:00:14 AM »

[/quote]

When i say to soft metal in the cover i don't talk about it bowing of the pressure but to soft so
the rotor galling the cover. The reason i used to make a thicker cover was to minimice the warpage
from heat treating. I don't know the terminology in English, but you "carb" the surface to get a really
hard surface then grind it therefor you cant have much warpage because the hardness just go so deep
[/quote]Are you talking about carburizing?I believe thats the process where its heated with a oxy aceteline torch and then they cut the oxygen back and play the sooty flame over the surface?

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2021, 04:44:46 AM »

When i say to soft metal in the cover i don't talk about it bowing of the pressure but to soft so
the rotor galling the cover. The reason i used to make a thicker cover was to minimice the warpage
from heat treating. I don't know the terminology in English, but you "carb" the surface to get a really
hard surface then grind it therefor you cant have much warpage because the hardness just go so deep
[/quote]Are you talking about carburizing?I believe thats the process where its heated with a oxy aceteline torch and then they cut the oxygen back and play the sooty flame over the surface?
[/quote]

Yes you can do it by hand that way. At the boltfactory it was done in owens with a high carb atmosphere on selftaping screws
and things like that that needed a hard surface

You can also heat the object orange, rub it with Cow hooves and quench in water. Thats the old blacksmith way,and it does not smell like strawberries. The burning hooves carburize the surface. It is most practical to remove hooves from the cow first ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2021, 06:41:17 AM »
"You can also heat the object orange, rub it with Cow hooves and quench in water. Thats the old blacksmith way,and it does not smell like strawberries. The burning hooves carburize the surface. It is most practical to remove hooves from the cow first "

I tried that method once, cow kept kicking me. Now I feel stupid.
That's funny Heo !

Woody

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2021, 09:18:31 AM »
Slight difference between the two.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2021, 10:30:34 AM »

You can also heat the object orange, rub it with Cow hooves and quench in water. Thats the old blacksmith way,and it does not smell like strawberries. The burning hooves carburize the surface. It is most practical to remove hooves from the cow first ;D

I think you have just won the internet!

It's gonna take me at least a couple hours to get over that one...  ;D  ;D  ;D

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »
Actually if you look at an old gunsmithing book on how case hardening is done, you put strips of leather around the part then heat it in a sealed container.. Now a cow hoof.. That must be a Scandinavian thing  lol.. I'll ask some of the old Swede blacksmiths around here about that
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2021, 11:15:43 AM »

That one made me spit up my coffee a little bit  :D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2021, 01:57:16 PM »
Do you remove all 4 hooves at the same time, so they don’t limp?
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
Actually if you look at an old gunsmithing book on how case hardening is done, you put strips of leather around the part then heat it in a sealed container.. Now a cow hoof.. That must be a Scandinavian thing  lol.. I'll ask some of the old Swede blacksmiths around here about that

Well there is several ways to carb the surface. I come from a long line of blacksmiths so
i have some literature and mouth to mouth learned tricks but dont want to take this tread
hostage with that. But  here is one, the perfeckt aneal temperature for a spring is when
you rub a piece of birsch against the spring and it feels slippery
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:21:25 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2021, 03:13:08 PM »
Do you remove all 4 hooves at the same time, so they don’t limp?
Well i usualy start with removing life from the cow ;)

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2021, 03:15:53 PM »

It's gonna take me at least a couple hours to get over that one...  ;D  ;D  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2021, 04:17:07 PM »
That's some funny stuff,but it's also kind of cool it makes you wonder what kind of stuff they tried to use to treat metal in the old days,and how did they find out about it by accident or trial and error?

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2021, 05:10:25 PM »
That's some funny stuff,but it's also kind of cool it makes you wonder what kind of stuff they tried to use to treat metal in the old days,and how did they find out about it by accident or trial and error?

I have thoght that way through the years, How and why did they found out